Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Version: LF2 Remake (Updated 12/27/13)
[] 
LF2-Remake

Download Here

First and foremost: I must say that my work is NOT your typical Godmodding and Destruction flashiness you'd normally see on LF2 mods. There are/will be BALANCED characters designed for competitive play.

Ever since December 2012, I had reworked characters to be more balanced. This started just to prove to people that it IS possible to balance out boss characters like many fighting games have, but this turned into a full project on the desire to get back into LF2.
You can see a quick overlook of what it has in the "What is done" section. Don't forget to read what I've detailed in the text files.

This project is now more a complete redux of the game. It will provide a faster pace with improved characters for deeper diversity. The goals are simple:
1.) To provide a rebalanced LF2 that focuses on new mechanics to create a more flexible metagame.
2.) Keeping ease of access to both regular and seasoned players.
3.) To stop all previous exploits that limited tournament play. (Davis's DP abuse, Dennis's HK lock, Rudolf's stars, Henry's Flute, etc.)
4.) To solve any bugs that affect gameplay which are possible to fix (mostly bugs that involve DC).

What is planned:
Re-balancing of the cast with updated play-styles
Tweaked "Prime" characters to satisfy any purists
New moves and mechanics
A couple of stages designed to test the player's ability in different scenarios.
A few downloaded characters redone (IF I can contact you, I will ask for your permission and you WILL be credited. All characters will be credited in the readme either way.)
Different music and a different look to make it feel unique.

Current News:
Quote:Right now, this project is on hold. I will get back to it later, but right now I don't have much motivation. I've endured months of no feedback while trying to make progress. It's rather hard honestly. I have had only few people test Remake thoroughly enough and I actually need someone to play it with to get good results. Right now, it's college work with LF2 on the side.
[B]I hope I can get most of the project done soon before calling it quits for good.[b] (All characters balanced with AI, stage mode set up without cutscenes, altered cheat code, etc.)

What is done:
Build 1 has all my basic plans laid out. Added Davis, Woody, Freeze, Anti-Davis, and Julian. Tech roll, vertical rolling, and vertical flipping is implemented.
Build 2 has revised Build 1 and made a little more in-depth mechanics. Dennis, Firen, Firzen, and Bat are added. Hit lag is reduced (not removed), MP regeneration is adjusted, and a converted exe skin from 1.9 is now used.
Build 3 introduced Prime characters for players who do not like my adjustments to the LF2 cast. They are still balanced with the new mechanics. Guards have been adjusted to be less punishing to block, but are more punishing when you get broken. Henry, Deep, and Louis are added.
The fourth build is pretty much a content expansion made to give people some insight into my progress. It should not be considered an ideal release because of personal issues. It adds LouisEX, 'Dennis, 'Woody, Rudolf, June (Julia), and 5 minor characters, alongside the first stage in stage mode. The more people that talk about the problems they have, the more I should be able to refine this version.

Approximate Breakdown: 50% complete overall
10%- Mechanics (Finished)
05%- Exe (Finished)
35%- Characters (Finished 14 out of 16+, maybe 50% done with my plans. Add around 12 more duplicate "Prime" for those who are not satisfied with what I do to characters. This includes sprites as well.)
20%- Stage Mode (Starting to work on it now.)
10%- Stages (Not started)
15%- New AI (Not started)

Credits
Bat Tamer- Project Lead, Main Character Programmer, Minor Spriter,
The Hari- Former Spriter, Former Creative Assistant
Nyamaiku- Contributor, AI Writer, Spriter
Hi, while this project sounds pretty promising, a little more information wouldn't hurt ;)

(means: Would be rad if you could provide screenshots, or perhaps a list of changes you've done to those characters)
Quote of the Day f***ing Year (Click to View)
Thanks given by:
Screenshots won't do any justice. I've written out the changes done to each character though. I have downloads available now for everybody to try.
To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong.
The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must reach beyond the boundaries of time itself.
And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step...
Ask not what others can do for you, but what you can do for others.
Thanks given by:
This looks (reads?) highly interesting! Reminds me of YinYin's alf2.
Do you think you can video-record some of your changes and post a video?
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2013, 11:29 PM)Bat Tamer Wrote:  LouisEX (Recommended to show my current DC skills)
-Basic Attacks are one frame slower.
-Air Attack is faster and will stall until you land (This is a nerf since he now has tougher timing to use this attack, compared to the absurd priority it had before)
-Every hit of Phoenix Dance does 10 less damage (107 MP)
-Phoenix Dance is cancellable into Energy Punch after the second hit
-Phoenix Palm can only done twice in succession (120 MP)
-Energy Punch can be done at will from the ground or air (D>J), making him the first character with aerial special moves (50 MP)
-From a standing input, Phoenix Punch has a guard frame at the start. Its distance is shortened as well
-He can do Phoenix Dance from a grab or one "reverse" Phoenix Palm.

So I gave LouisEX a spin.
Slowing him down feels very punishing. I don't even know whether I would still take the risk to transform into him like that anymore.
The jump attack does not stall until you land as you described. I can still hit Louis twice in sequence by holding A. (change next: 999 to 0 to prevent that)
The DvA+D>J doesn't make much sense concerning his body movement. Same goes for J+D>J (the sudden x-motion comes out of nowhere giving him an unexpected reach).
The last swing of DvA from a grab does not connect.
And the normal dash attack feels ridiculously fast.

I am not exactly sure as to how these changes will balance him compared to the other fighters. After all he still is a lot faster, has the best melee range and instant attack while running.
I don't think you can successfully change characters that were meant to be bosses to a balanced level without crippling their features heavily.
Maybe you should focus more on the weak support (like Justin and the others), as you've got better room for improvement on them.
Thanks given by: Bamboori , Dragon5 , betitngoan
(04-13-2013, 09:19 AM)Lauli Wrote:  Do you think you can video-record some of your changes and post a video?
When I finish redoing Julian and Firzen, of course! :)

(04-13-2013, 11:26 AM)YinYin Wrote:  Slowing him down feels very punishing. I don't even know whether I would still take the risk to transform into him like that anymore.
If you thought this character is slow, then you should have seen my previous version of Louis. He was EXTREMELY slow. This version is a redux. And besides, this character is supposed to be a standalone. You can simply make him a separate character if need be.

Quote:The last swing of DvA from a grab does not connect.
And the normal dash attack feels ridiculously fast.
I'll fix that when I get time

Quote:I don't think you can successfully change characters that were meant to be bosses to a balanced level without crippling their features heavily.
We'll see. ;)
To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong.
The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must reach beyond the boundaries of time itself.
Thanks given by:
I'm sorry about my lack of progress here. I've been trying to look into hex editing and AI scripts, but I don't have much luck right now. Anyway, I will release a beta soon for people to have a little look at what I've done so far for five characters. Since I don't know any AI, Julian and the mystery character are the only two who will not have an AI suited for them; Julian won't have any AI at all sadly. It's early and I need time to get things perfect. I don't think AI will be my thing since I find myself better as somebody who can observe and make changes.

I'll be honest, I've always been a soft-programmer. I can edit, but I couldn't get myself to dig into the real work. Hex editing doesn't seem too hard, but I really can't do anything from scratch. I'm looking for an AI programmer who's willing to create AI for pretty much everybody since they'll all need a re-haul after what I've done for them.
Thanks given by:
Finally, I've made a release for you all to try out. It's far from complete right now, but I'll work on it later.
Download Beta 1 here

EDIT: Link is updated
Thanks given by: The Lost Global Mod
Why did you give Julian an auto combo? (A+A+A)
Why is Julian missing his mirror image?
If you want to get rid of the distraction moment you should give it some other effect (maybe the same but vanishing quicker + without the com writing)
Wait, now that I see the skull blasts not working I guess something else went wrong.

Also a lot of combos look messed up without hit lag.
Thanks given by: Dragon5
I wanted Julian to feel like a force so I made his combo a string. (An autocombo does it for you like Davis's uppercuts in the original version)
I didn't realize I deleted that image too. I wanted to remove the "mirror" images to keep my file size small since I had an upload limit at first. I'll fix it when I get time.

Seems like I'll need to update faster than I thought I would.
Thanks given by: