Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Character: Adam
Adam - march.2015 by Pf
[Image: 1zxs4mj.png] [Image: YuE0vMw.gif]

About:
For those who do not know this character, this is my brothers @Angel_Adam representative character which he released back in 2009.. for those who still remember i bet one of the first words that come to your mind is "OP".
well not long ago i have started working and finishing all of my previous works that i have abandoned and this is one of them, i gave Adam a complete make over with new sprite sheets and a new move set.. my next step after i am done with Adam is to polish up Darius, finish his move set and then move on to work on the fusion as me and my brother originally planned back then.

anyway,pretty basic dc stuff but i hope its clean enough for you guys, ofc do point out any bug or dc error that needs fixing i am sure there are some i just cant spot any atm i feel sleepy as hell.
still not sure but i think i want to (?) add another move but my imagination feels kinda dry right now so i will wait until something comes up or if anyone has some good ideas please share :D just make sure its not something impossibru for me to DC.

Screenshot - Click to download
[Image: qEUh6s4.png]
YinYin style ftw :d

Move list & installation instructions are included in the README file.

Credits
YinYin: Feedback and advice.
mfc, bluephoenix, ramond: testing purposes, DC advice and help.
to whomever made the X slash base taken from lf2.5
in case i forgot anyone to credit and thank for some reason, i apologize and thank you!

old version (Click to View)
"I'm the president of the shadow government
The grand governor of the federal reserve
Public enemy of the society
The one you cannot see the thirty three degree"
Man the older version of Adam was really hard to defeat even with julian

but he is sooooooooooooo cool
LIFE DEDICATED TO LF2

Thanks given by: MH-LABEEB
Never tried the old version, so this is a clean look at the character. Data-wise is basic - no advanced techniques are used. Sprites are original & beautiful as expected from PF.

Character is short-ranged and slow with okay damage, >>JA can only hit one enemy, can use special moves out of running. Normally that'd be okay, but Adam lacks combos - I can only find AAADvAA, AAA(g)AAAADvA (DvA only works at the end of the grab, 2nd swing will not hit), AAAD>A (hit twice at close range).

His regular punches are okay, but his super kick comes out extremely slow unless you trigger it with a counter (A on blocking a non-guardbreaking hit); NEVER use it if the enemy is in broken_defend!

D^A is very weak; it rarely hits and for little damage, doesn't multiply with enemy increase and the AI isn't really deterred by it either.

D>A is decent for crowd-clearing although its already short range will be further limited if it tanks multiple projectiles along the way and it does not break state 3006 projectiles like Henry's critical arrow, and it has no z-axis(which is fine, else it'd be way too good).

Relying on weapons is the best way for Adam to deal damage, but compared to regular LF2 characters his weapon dash attack is poor since the weapon doesn't last all the way to the end of the dash. The sword's self-destruct could deal a lot of damage unless the enemy hits it back at you, whereupon the sword is considered enemy property the explosion would hurt you instead.

Adam can heal himself like John, but it takes longer for him to complete his animation.

Overall, the new Adam is actually underpowered. I think if a couple of his moves were faster, D^A were improved and had more melee combos, he'd be a much better character.
[Image: uMSShyX.png]
~Spy_The_Man1993~
Steiner v3.00 (outdated), Challenge Stage v1.51
Luigi's Easier Data-Editor, A-Man's Sprite Mirrorer
Working on the LF2 Rebalance mod.
Thanks given by: Electric2Shock , prince_freeza
Well then, some ideas to give his specials more integrity:

The power ball could use a higher frequency to be of any use. Additionally I would chain it with the x slash:
POWER BALL X BREAK (D^A + D>A)
If Adam performs his D>A below the power ball it will instantly break into a lot of projectiles.
How to: the ball has a kind 9 itr (like Johns shield) that will send it to the breaking frame if it hits Adam (extra bdy inside the D>A overlaps with this itr and nothing else - give both the same y offset). The split itself is a simple facing: combination of your choice (maybe you can mimic the X shape with the created projectiles).
It would also be cool if it was hovering lower or moving slightly up and down so Adam can reach it. If hit it could either send out extra projectile bursts, get it's loop time extended (negative injury?) or drop down for an explosion. You could also limit or extend/split this kind of interaction to be only possible with the sword (y offset again).

Considering the sword cannot be picked by anyone else it should be rather easy to single out a certain angle to be used for spawning projectiles from Adams normal weapon attacks (only using that weaponact there and nowhere else).

To go in line with common special move inputs I would swap the healing over to DvJ (inwards). To differentiate it from John I would turn it into a continuous move (like Firens flame). Instead of using state 1700 he would spawn a constant stream of objects with kind 8 itrs (injury 1). Make the animation cycle fast and he will be able to heal faster and further than John, but only as long as he stays in this animation.
Thanks given by: prince_freeza
(03-02-2015, 07:11 PM)YinYin Wrote:  The power ball could use a higher frequency to be of any use. Additionally I would chain it with the x slash:
POWER BALL X BREAK (D^A + D>A)
If Adam performs his D>A below the power ball it will instantly break into a lot of projectiles.
How to: the ball has a kind 9 itr (like Johns shield) that will send it to the breaking frame if it hits Adam (extra bdy inside the D>A overlaps with this itr and nothing else - give both the same y offset). The split itself is a simple facing: combination of your choice (maybe you can mimic the X shape with the created projectiles).
It would also be cool if it was hovering lower or moving slightly up and down so Adam can reach it. If hit it could either send out extra projectile bursts, get it's loop time extended (negative injury?) or drop down for an explosion. You could also limit or extend/split this kind of interaction to be only possible with the sword (y offset again).

alright, i tried following your instructions with this but i keep failing :/ so if anyone could tell me what am i doing wrong here?!

this is the itr in the hovering ball frames
Code:
<frame> 38 blutz-mid-air
   pic: 14  state: 15  wait: 1  next: 39  dvx: 0  dvy: 550  dvz: 0  centerx: 41  centery: 43  hit_a: 3  hit_d: 40  hit_j: 0
   itr:
      kind: 9  x: 16  y: 23452345  w: 49  h: 49  dvx: 70  vrest: 8  injury: 40   fall: 70  
   itr_end:
<frame_end>

dvx: 40 (ball getting destroyed frames)
and extra bdy in D>A frame:
Code:
bdy:
      kind: 0  x: 25  y: 23452345  w: 49  h: 49
    bdy_end:

also, i think the frequency of the ball shooting projectiles is fine, it would be better to make it shoot projectiles based on how many enemies are there (and not one projectile at a time) i tried adding more opoints of projectiles in hovering ball frames only problem is all projectiles chase the same enemy(?)
i don't want to smother anyone with too much dc question but if anyone could tell me where to go from here?! or is there any itr kind: 9 example around the forum i can study because i haven't found any my self so far.

(03-02-2015, 07:11 PM)YinYin Wrote:  Considering the sword cannot be picked by anyone else it should be rather easy to single out a certain angle to be used for spawning projectiles from Adams normal weapon attacks (only using that weaponact there and nowhere else).

i will work on this right after i solve everything wrong with the D^A

(03-02-2015, 07:11 PM)YinYin Wrote:  To go in line with common special move inputs I would swap the healing over to DvJ (inwards). To differentiate it from John I would turn it into a continuous move (like Firens flame). Instead of using state 1700 he would spawn a constant stream of objects with kind 8 itrs (injury 1). Make the animation cycle fast and he will be able to heal faster and further than John, but only as long as he stays in this animation.

done!
Thanks given by:
(03-04-2015, 10:40 AM)prince_freeza Wrote:  what am i doing wrong here?!

this is the itr in the hovering ball frames
Code:
<frame> 38 blutz-mid-air
  pic: 14  state: 15  wait: 1  next: 39  dvx: 0  dvy: 550  dvz: 0  centerx: 41  centery: 43  hit_a: 3  hit_d: 40  hit_j: 0
  itr:
     kind: 9  x: 16  y: 23452345  w: 49  h: 49  dvx: 70  vrest: 8  injury: 40   fall: 70  
  itr_end:
<frame_end>

dvx: 40 (ball getting destroyed frames)
and extra bdy in D>A frame:
Code:
   bdy:
     kind: 0  x: 25  y: 23452345  w: 49  h: 49
   bdy_end:
is there any itr kind: 9 example around the forum i can study because i haven't found any my self so far.

Your objects have a different y position (ball is in the air, character on the ground) and probably also a different centery. So even if you used y: 0 on both those areas would not overlap with h: 49. Either you account for the difference on the y value or you increase the h until they will roughly connect either way.

And the best example for something is always the original, in this case Johns shield.
i tried increasing the height up to 1000 still nothing happens *confused* maybe the bdy in the D>A is wrong?!
i do suck at dc..

also,
Quote:If hit it could either send out extra projectile bursts,

wouldn't the itr (which is gonna be set around the ball sprite) interfere with the shooting projectiles?! at least this is what happened when i first set a normal itr (before it was y:23452345) for the floating ball, the second those projectiles shoot they get destroyed because of the balls itr.
Thanks given by:
(03-04-2015, 01:03 PM)prince_freeza Wrote:  i tried increasing the height up to 1000 still nothing happens *confused* maybe the bdy in the D>A is wrong?!
i do suck at dc..

Ah, no. You just gotta make sure that frame in the character has state 10 and no other bdy so it can be hit by the ball and nothing else (wait 1 should suffice to not make the character invulnerable for too long and still properly trigger the action).

(03-04-2015, 01:03 PM)prince_freeza Wrote:  also,
Quote:If hit it could either send out extra projectile bursts,

wouldn't the itr (which is gonna be set around the ball sprite) interfere with the shooting projectiles?! at least this is what happened when i first set a normal itr (before it was y:23452345) for the floating ball, the second those projectiles shoot they get destroyed because of the balls itr.

I would go for a bdy in this case, but yes - things may clash at first.
I've always had trouble with coordinates myself, so here's some tips that may help.
[Image: kz8XhTZ.png][Image: Z2Ed9zz.png]
Look at the above diagram. LouisEX has a 79x79 sprite. The ball is 35x49 with centerx: 17 centery: 25.
If your opoint is spawned at x: 0 y: 0, it would be exactly at the spot indicated in the pic, along the pink line which borders the green grid.

Everything is relative to the top left of a sprite - except in spawning objects with opoint, where the centerx/y of the object rather than its top left would lie exactly on the opoint coordinates. This can screw up your coordinates and you can't use the exact same x/y/w/h.

So using the above LouisEX example, if Louis' bdy is "x: 40 y: 40 w: 10 h: 20" and you want your ball to be positioned exactly in the middle of this bdy, you will need to use the opoint coordinates "x: 45 y: 50". If you want your ball's itr to cover this whole bdy, it should use "x: 12 y: 15 w: 10 h: 20".

I would suggest first doing everything assuming opoint is at x: 0 y: 0, then slowly work your way from there, drawing your own diagrams if necessary. Otherwise all that number processing can get very confusing as it did for me.
[Image: uMSShyX.png]
~Spy_The_Man1993~
Steiner v3.00 (outdated), Challenge Stage v1.51
Luigi's Easier Data-Editor, A-Man's Sprite Mirrorer
Working on the LF2 Rebalance mod.
thank both of you it works :) and @STM1993 well that's usually how i do it (via paint) i know i am bad at coordinates but this time it was not the case, state: 10 in the d>a as @YinYin instructed was the problem.

like i said it works fine now, except that because there is a dvx= 40 in the itr frames to go to ball getting destroyed frames on d>a, the char also gets knocked back hard well because dvx 40

in the mean time i will start working on some sort of melee combo to keep my self motivated.
Thanks given by: