Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Character: Trevor Belmont [Released]
Heh, how many years has it been?
[Image: UByGeKm.png]

More Screenshots (Click to View)
First real character I've made in a very long time to brush up on some DCing skills.
I can't draw or code the AI(yet), so I took some sprites from sprite database and worked with it.

Moves List (Click to View)
Download:

.rar   trevorbelmont.rar (Size: 409.98 KB / Downloads: 146)
Install Info (Click to View)
Original Post (Click to View)
[Image: uMSShyX.png]
~Spy_The_Man1993~
Steiner v3.00 (outdated), Challenge Stage v1.51
Luigi's Easier Data-Editor, A-Man's Sprite Mirrorer
Working on the LF2 Rebalance mod.
Thanks given by: A-Man , Bamboori , LutiChris , Dr. Time , Dragon5 , AmadisLFE
Welcome back. I have been here for a while now, but I never saw you before. Also,not sure if you know this already, but people here became pretty allergic to ripped sprites. It does seem really interesting though XD! I must give this a try later! Keep this up!
[Image: signature.png]
A-Engine: A new beat em up game engine inspired by LF2. Coming soon

A-Engine Dev Blog - Update #8: Timeout

Thanks given by: STM1993
like to see more of your progress later on bro
Thanks given by:
<-- (points at line under his username)
OMG, WELCOME BACK, SPY!!!!!!! :D

So, I took a shot at the character. I'm going to say it beforehand, I've never really played castlevania, so I don't know how well certain features are replicated, things intended, or whatsoever. As I assume you plan on adding moves that are related to the original, I can't give you much of an opinion. The following is a list of a few things that came to my mind while testing him:
  • I'm not particularly fond of the file-organization (data and sprites all in one folder) but eh.... who cares if it works :p
  • Running seems static (increase the framerate on that one).
  • Laying on ground extremely short. AI usually walks away while you're on ground but here, it doesn't really get enough time to do that and you're almost instantly under fire again.
  • Can't go to dash from the jump-frames.
  • Can't grab.
  • The fact that rowing is now an offensive move kind of threw me off-guard (or did it throw the AI off-guard? We'll never know...). Personally, I think that some sort of evasive skill is necessary, and that's usually the aforementioned rowing.
  • Flipping after getting knocked out does an unreasonable air-jump and I still land in the lying-frames.
  • ...and, of course, the sprites. I'm not that much of a fan of retro-styles and unless there is a whole mod of chars and objects styled this way, it becomes quite unblended.

All I have for now :p

@ram the don: 'course do! :)

Ramond edited this post 02-21-2014 11:17 PM because:
You know/remember Spy? :p
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by: STM1993
(02-21-2014, 05:47 PM)STM1993 Wrote:  Heh, how many years has it been?
Too many.

(02-21-2014, 05:47 PM)STM1993 Wrote:  AI with ID 3, which has the same AI as Firen.
ID 3 has a blank AI. Maybe you should rather consider writing custom AI instead of aiming to use an ID twice.

(02-21-2014, 05:47 PM)STM1993 Wrote:  a move that powerups the whip to mace without using transform. I'll see if its a trick related to itr k8.
I suppose itr kind 8 may be too frickle for that (dynamic change in y direction for example doesn't really work well with it - even though I don't yet know how clunky the controls are so it may not be impossible). Is this supposed to be limited somehow?
Thanks given by:

Yeah I arranged the files that way so its easy to remove from the game if you don't want this stand-alone char anymore. I don't like having to manually search data and sprites to clear everything.
(02-21-2014, 08:50 PM)Blue Phoenix Wrote:  * Running seems static (increase the framerate on that one).
* Laying on ground extremely short. AI usually walks away while you're on ground but here, it doesn't really get enough time to do that and you're almost instantly under fire again.
* Can't go to dash from the jump-frames.
* Can't grab.
Here is a beginner's Castlevania 1 gameplay. That should give some context.
1) Because character's walk is usually a bit slow, and I've had trouble with the framing because there are only 3 walking sprites but 5 walking frames. I don't know what to do to make it less awkward. As for running, sure I'll take liberties and make the frame rate faster.
2) I'll change it then. Its currently at wait 1 and uses the hurt crouch sprite as I intended it to be used with the move after death. I wanted to replicate the mercy invincibility when you take damage.
3) I know. I'll make the crouch have the actual state 15 instead of state 0 then so it'd be more polished for LF2.
4) Alright, I'll make one. There are two existing sprites that can make a nice grab and punch.

(02-21-2014, 08:50 PM)Blue Phoenix Wrote:  * The fact that rolling is now an offensive move kind of threw me off-guard (or did it throw the AI off-guard? We'll never know...). Personally, I think that some sort of evasive skill is necessary, and that's usually the aforementioned rowing.
Noted. I can't make a convincing roll with the sprites, so I'll probably use the flipping for it but make it appear to be jumping backwards.

(02-21-2014, 08:50 PM)Blue Phoenix Wrote:  * Flipping after getting knocked out does an unreasonable air-jump and I still land in the lying-frames.
I wanted to simulate the getting knocked back effect when you take damage in Castlevania, complete with the invincibility, while at the same time I want this character to be able to suffer from the LF2 injury states.

I have tried using state 100 (louis thunderpunch) and mix with frame 94, but state 100 will cause the character to stop moving in mid-air if dvx and dvy are 0. So I'm kinda at a loss.

I originally wanted to make the character unable to flip as well, but setting the rowing values to 0 just makes the character fall straight down.

(02-21-2014, 11:45 PM)YinYin Wrote:  1) ID 3 has a blank AI. Maybe you should rather consider writing custom AI instead of aiming to use an ID twice.

2) I suppose itr kind 8 may be too frickle for that (dynamic change in y direction for example doesn't really work well with it - even though I don't yet know how clunky the controls are so it may not be impossible). Is this supposed to be limited somehow?
1) Ah crap, Kate LF2 has deceived me! AI scripting eh? That's new, I'll look into it once the data itself is done.

2) My aim is to upgrade all the whip attacks. What I'm thinking of is to make DJA opoint a k8 ball that sticks to the character with an unreachable itr. Whenever the character attacks, the ball will catch a hidden bdy and change the character's usual attack into the upgrade. I'm not too worried about the y-axis atm since I could just give the hitbox a sufficiently high height to compensate for the player jumping. As for limitation, I'm hoping to make it lost either by timer or getting knocked down.
~Spy_The_Man1993~
Thanks given by:
Welcome back and wow nic project
Quit Playing LF2 But Still Love LF-EMPIRE....          
Thanks given by:
Update 1:
<image removed>
  • Can now grab stunned opponents
  • Added move on death; plays death animation
  • Added dagger(D>A), axe(D^A/J) and holy water(DvJ) throw. Can throw in mid-air.
  • Has proper broken_defense frames
  • Walking now uses 5 new sprites
  • Rolling now goes into defend(crouch w/state 7, can duck under a few attacks). Pressing J while in defend will allow user to jump backwards.
  • Removed ability to flip out of injury frames; restricted only for falling(which now has bdy like normal characters). It doesn't put you into standing frame immediately, the point of this rowing is to give yourself invincibility to prevent taking further damage. sorcerers and jacks spamming their balls until you lose over 300hp *shudder*
  • Improved lying and invincibility timer. Improved hitboxes. Allow dashing after jumping.

<image removed>
<<download removed>>

Note:
  • D>A(+A), D^A/J(+A), DvJ.
  • Will be adding Holy Cross(D>J), Whip upgrade(DvA) and proper AI next.
  • Don't know what to do with holy water without making a whole new ID for it as I've done to make axe type 2. Because of hit_Fa 7, it can use hit_ground, but at the cost of making the bottle slightly homing...
  • I'll remove all previous attachments once the final version is released.

EDIT:
I just read a couple of things from Y2F's site. Time to try mess with the defend button and JA.
~Spy_The_Man1993~
Thanks given by: Bamboori
Looks like you forgot about readme/new lines to data?
Wpoint in crouch attack isn't set properly. Maybe make him quickly shift weapon to second hand?
Also in D+J you can jump in any direction, not only backward, is it intended?

Thanks given by:
Alright, final version is out.

I've taken most of Hari's suggestions. Can't fix the D+J issue, so I left it in as a hidden feature. Decided to just implement whip upgrade directly into the character; an actual upgrade is too finicky. Didn't include AI as I don't know how to code and it'd take me a while to learn (I have zero coding background), so I thought I'd just release it as the final version.

Download and video and everything is in the first post. I've included a readme in the download as well.
~Spy_The_Man1993~
Thanks given by: