Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need tips at how to sprite chains
not as in 'a chain of sprites', but the actual metal rope thingy, alternatively called chains, shackles, bonds...

I figured a few simple chain textures are even inside of MY spriting capabilities. I've had troubles finding a start and entirely no success when it came to finding something via google (shackle gives me a lot of stuff, but not the right thing, whilst 'sprite chains' will give me tutorials on how to turn sprites into animations, blargh).

Anyone can give me a few tips regarding how to draw simple chains and how to give them a uncrappy shading with low effort means? Or can drop me a link to such a tutorial?

Further information:
-I suck at spriting.
-I have and work with Paint and Photofiltre.
-I have a (even legit :O) version of Photoshop though I'm not really used to it.

Thanks in advance.

PS: And duh, yes, I intend to use the gained knowledge to create some chain-sprites for the next char of mine.
PSedit: I thought LFE-F was the one NOT underlining links... meh, hidden secret ruined.
My Creations: (Click to View)

Return (String) System.getNewsOfTheDay();
Barely active, expect slow responses. If at all.

Greetz,
Alblaka
Thanks given by:
[Image: i298915_123.PNG]
Made it for you, you can use it. Stretch or screw it in paint to re-size it.
BTW made it in gimp! :D

If you want to make them by own then, Using a brush make the oval circles and then shade dark from left and light from right!
Thanks given by: John Fighterli , Alblaka
I can give you few links

Link 1: http://liiga.deviantart.com/art/Chain-Tutorial-91922685
Basically you need to have painter knowledge for this link but u can see the picture and understand the shading.
Link 2: http://debi-chiru.deviantart.com/art/Tut...-158773205
This is very simple model but can work out for lf2.

For knowing how chain moves, I suggest using a rope and move the way u like it and understand the movement. Btw, The face pic looks nice ;D .
Thanks given by: Alblaka
Thanks for the sprite, but I would probably need a straight chain to begin with.

The tutorials look really helpful though, exspecially the second one.

Greetz,
Alblaka
Thanks given by:
I could try at home.
Can you send me via pm char sprite?
Useful
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2013, 10:45 AM)EXG9 Wrote:  I could try at home.
Can you send me via pm char sprite?

There is none yet, I always gather the ressources BEFORE making a character not vice versa. If you are willing to create a few basic straight and diagonal chain sprites, it would be entirely sufficient in first place (as I can create whatever sprites I need from that).

Greetz,
Alblaka
Thanks given by:
isnt it just making metallic-looking circles/rectangles and putting them together? o:
if all fails you can pm me so i can sprite the chain for you :p (but knowing my working speed, better ask someone else lol)
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2013, 12:28 PM)Bamboori Wrote:  isnt it just making metallic-looking circles/rectangles and putting them together? o:
if all fails you can pm me so i can sprite the chain for you :p (but knowing my working speed, better ask someone else lol)

Must... resist...
*rolls dice: Antihumour-test CRITICAL FAIL*

Do you mean someone else or someone else? :3

Greetz,
Alblaka
Thanks given by:
Yay, another typical Alblaka-char with horrible color-schemes and (hopefully) awesome DCing! :D

You know, it really depends on the detail-level of the chain. The smaller the circles, the more rope-like it'll look (just add some shiny highlights to a gray line and you're done :p). I personally like this one:

[Image: mewflailgx3.png] (Courtesy of SirFrog)

Check the chain at 400-ish percent to see how it's done. Then, it shouldn't be a problem to recreate it ;)
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by: Alblaka
Hmmm... I was looking for something more 'evil chain' style, those coming with outlines and ~5-6 pxl in width. That one definitely is a well-sprited chain, but it doesn't look like you would use it pull people and throw them around or stuff.

And, jep, horrible recolor, fine DC, mediocre gameplay, as usual ^^

Greetz,
Alblaka
Thanks given by: