Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JavaScript or PHP (devs only)
I am currently much intruded into Web Developing and I am currently lunging under a rope on which of these to learn first.

JavaScript or PHP?

Give me your opinions developers!

Waiting for BP's opinion.
If you are not a developer and have nothing to say, better keep out.
[Image: icyboards-ad-468x60.gif]
Thanks given by:
do both

unless you have a specific goal/project that may require just one of them
Thanks given by:
(12-23-2012, 08:51 AM)YinYin Wrote:  do both

unless you have a specific goal/project that may require just one of them

I cannot do both of them parallel. I just mix both of them. I wanted to know which one first.

E: My 800th post!

Thanks given by:
I am not a devloper, but according to my knowledge you should learn Javascript first ;)(easier than PHP actually)
Thanks given by: John Fighterli
Its not about being easy. It is about application. JavaScript has many minus & plus points of its own.
Thanks given by:
which one do you need first?

are you doing something with a big database that needs a lot of under the hood stuff like a forum
or will that be minimal and you need more fancy interactive layout things?

you should be able to answer the question yourself
Thanks given by:
point 1.
I am trying to integrate an existing forum software with an existing forum host to make it multi platform.

I guess its PHP then.
Thanks given by:
good luck with that
Thanks given by: Electric2Shock
Just to clarify:
PHP: Server side scripting language.
JavaScript: Client side scripting language.

JavaScript can be used for interacting with a webserver without having to reload the webpage (see AJAX), which is a very useful technique ,however it requires a PHP (or some other server side program) to do the actual server side stuff.

JavaScript can be used to say enable/disable a button depending on what is entered into a text field, which is fine, but you NEED server-side code to check if the filtering did occur, since otherwise a hacker can simply stop the JavaScript from running, as it runs in his own browser.

You should use them both, at the same time. There is no point in designing a website with only PHP to begin with, even though it is easier, because when it comes to adding JavaScript and AJAX functionality to it, it is going to be so much harder.
So unless you can clearly say, that you won't need one of them for a project, then use both.

When it comes to which one to learn first, then I learned JavaScript first, but you could probably just as easily start with PHP.
It really depends.

(12-23-2012, 09:28 AM)davis60 Wrote:  I am not a devloper, but according to my knowledge you should learn Javascript first ;)(easier than PHP actually)
That is really a matter of taste.
I personally found PHP easier to learn, because it is completely straight forward. JavaScript has some mean tricks here and there.
The only hard thing with PHP is when you want it to use it in conjunction with JavaScript (AJAX), but that also requires you to use JavaScript which in this case is about the same difficulty as the PHP.
Age ratings for movies and games (and similar) have never been a good idea.
One can learn a lot from reinventing wheels.
An unsound argument is not the same as an invalid one.
volatile in C++ does not mean thread-safe.
Do not make APIs unnecessarily asynchronous.
Make C++ operator > again
Trump is an idiot.
The only once I got interested in Java script is when that guy showed his LF2 version coded in that language. But after checking it out, it was meh..
Well, I once coded some tracking system on PHP and IMO, PHP is really retarded (debugging is $&$^%*(#$&^). I would like to recommend learning Python together with Django.
Good LUCK!
[Image: signature.png]
A-Engine: A new beat em up game engine inspired by LF2. Coming soon

A-Engine Dev Blog - Update #8: Timeout

Thanks given by: Electric2Shock