Poll: What programming languages do you use?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Higher-level languages (Java, C#)
19.35%
12 19.35%
Lower-level languages (C, C++)
19.35%
12 19.35%
Assembly level languages (Assembly obviously)
4.84%
3 4.84%
Markup languages (HTML, XML, CSS)
17.74%
11 17.74%
Web scripting languages (JavaScript)
9.68%
6 9.68%
Server-side scripting languages (PHP, ASP)
6.45%
4 6.45%
Other scripting languages (Python, Ruby)
8.06%
5 8.06%
Console languages (Batch, Linux shell)
8.06%
5 8.06%
Other kinds of languages (LOLCODE, perhaps)
6.45%
4 6.45%
Total 62 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programming languages you use
I once created a thread like this, but it is rather old, and newer members have joined the forum since then, so I thought it would be good to reopen the discussion.

Which programming languages do you use? Why do you use them? Would you like to learn others? [insertsomequestionhavingtodowithprogramminglanguageshere]?

Personally I tend to prefer languages such as C/C++, because of their system independency and sheer power. I've also worked with web development languages such as PHP, SQL and JavaScript. I've begun learning Assembly and I once learned Java, although I never really use it for anything.
As some of you know, I am fairly good at GML, and sometimes I write the occasional batch script.
Age ratings for movies and games (and similar) have never been a good idea.
One can learn a lot from reinventing wheels.
An unsound argument is not the same as an invalid one.
volatile in C++ does not mean thread-safe.
Do not make APIs unnecessarily asynchronous.
Make C++ operator > again
Trump is an idiot.
Thanks given by: A-Man
My ever best programming language and the one I use most often is Python. The language syntax is super simple, and it has proved to me that it can do almost everything (CLI, GUI (WX Lib, Tkinter Lib...etc), Web development (Django!), games (Pygame, PyOpenGL ,...etc). I also know PHP, Html (for php forms and stuff), MY Sql . They helped me a lot gaining $$$ when i needed some. Seriously, people pay for this stuff. I sold some stupid tracking system for 300$ ! (I was the richest boy that day). I am also continuing C++ now, but i am facing a problem now ["/n" appears in the console as numbers.. Tell me please if you know why.]...
I also know Batch (you can do some cool stuff with it (USB stealers Twisted ), and you can use it in your programming in tags like os.sys(" ") (in python) and system(" ") (in c++)
And yes, I would like to learn more as i've developed programming as a hobby. I am willing to learn these Reverse engineering stuff, and try to learn Delphi (people says its good and rapid with GUI programs, as you can design your program by dragging icons and dropping them in the right place!). Thats it! And thanks for this interesting thread Someone Else!
[Image: signature.png]
A-Engine: A new beat em up game engine inspired by LF2. Coming soon

A-Engine Dev Blog - Update #8: Timeout

Thanks given by:
i'm most fluent in c++ and java, use those nearly all the time.

my preferred language is c++, mainly because of the control i can have. also, it's more challenging.
at work i mainly use java, and js/jsp/ant scripts occasionally. also use windows shell scripts and bash, but not extensively (just basic stuff).
have used c# once, it's pretty much java, but has nicer features.
i've used python as well, but it's been ages since i did any proper programming in python, so i'm probably a newbie again.

Azriel~
Thanks given by:
I know JAVA but never use it. I am using C++ in some cases (such as adding funtions to lf2.exe). I know HTML and use it to some sort. I also know QBASIC (thanks to our fathead princi) and wrote a few something but never publish my work.

I want to learn Assembly and PHP but I have some lack of time.

I am was not much of a coder in the past years. Came to know much about them in like past 1 years.
[Image: icyboards-ad-468x60.gif]
Thanks given by:
I'm mostly using Java because they made us learn it in university and so I'm a little more in practice with it than I am with other languages. Plus writing code in it is (for me) a lot faster than in C++ because I don't have to worry about memory managment and whatnot.
I also know a bit of Actionscript (flash programming language), though I never finished any of my projects (games) with it. Used to know HTML + CSS, but honestly, that was so long ago that I could start from zero again.
Learning python would be nice and I'm certainly going to do that some day. Learning something like prolog would also be nice, but that is unlikely to happen, at least in the near future.
@v: typo :P
Thanks given by:
(09-23-2012, 10:26 AM)Reaper Wrote:  I'm mostly using Java because they made us learn it in university and so I'm a little more in practice with it than I am with other languages. Plus writing code in it is (for me) a lot faster than in C++ because I don't have to worry about memory managment and whatnot.
I also know a bit of Actionscript (flash programming language), though I never finished any of my projects (games) with it. Used to know HTML + CSS, but honestly, that was so long ago that I could start from zero again.
Learning phython would be nice and I'm certainly going to do that some day. Learning something like prolog would also be nice, but that is unlikely to happen, at least in the near future. :)

Its Python and I would highly recommend it. And if you think coding in Java is fast, then i would say that writing programs in python is much more like writing a story or something. You won't even have to think, you will be typing all the time! There is no ";" at the end of each of your statements. No "{}" for conditions and controling stuff (they are replace with "blocks"). Debugging is so easy and the syntax is super simple. So i would say, Go for it!

Edit: And one more thing, don't listen to Silva when he says "python code doesn't compile, the user need to have python to run its programs". That's definitely false, and it was one of the reasons I didn't learn python at my early stages... Though it is an interpreted language, it does compile and can be turned to an exe. (the whole interpreter is compiled with the code, which mean additional 2 mega bytes to your program (this is a disadvantage for python; thats why its not good for rats or viruses)
[Image: signature.png]
A-Engine: A new beat em up game engine inspired by LF2. Coming soon

A-Engine Dev Blog - Update #8: Timeout

Thanks given by:
C++, Java, Haskell, XML

Though, mainly Java (Minecraft) and XML (FTL), the other two are more like an enforced sideeffect from studying.
My Creations: (Click to View)

Return (String) System.getNewsOfTheDay();
Barely active, expect slow responses. If at all.

Greetz,
Alblaka
Thanks given by:
c++ . Only programming language I know and have to learn it at school as a computer science student :P . Very basic though. Like, Only know the advanced feature like classes* :P
Thanks given by:
No Hardware Description Languages option?:P Verilog FTW! screw VHDL...

Also "High Level" is such a broad term. I can pretty much write code in any language after looking at it for an hour or so, unless its functional.

I have written programs in:

C,C++,Go,C#,Java,PHP,JSP,Python,Batch(stupid microsoft scripting language), Bash("linux shell"),x86(and x64) ASM, Verilog, Matlab, Lua

I've used html/css/xml/LaTex as markup.

Ruby, LISP, Haskell, R ,D , Clousre , ANY OTHER HIPSTER LANGUAGE - Cannot program in those. They make no god damn sense to me, the syntax is so god damn horrible it makes my eyes bleed. People complain about the syntax in C and stuff, which i don't understand. I look at it, and its beautiful, it's basically art.
[Image: doty7Xn.gif]

10 ʏᴇᴀʀs sɪɴᴄᴇ ɪʀᴄ ɢᴏᴏᴅ.ɪ ᴡᴀʟᴋ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴍᴘᴛʏ sᴛʀᴇᴇᴛs ᴛʀʏɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴏғ sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴇʟsᴇ ʙᴜᴛ ᴍʏ ᴘᴀᴛʜ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ʟᴇᴀᴅs ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ɪʀᴄ. ɪ sᴛᴀʀᴇ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ sᴄʀᴇᴇɴ ғᴏʀ ʜᴏᴜʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ sᴜᴍᴍᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ɪʀᴄ. ɪ ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ɪʀᴄ ᴄʜᴀɴɴᴇʟs ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ɪs ɴᴏ ɢᴏᴏᴅ. ɪ ᴘᴇsᴛᴇʀ ᴢᴏʀᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ ʀᴇsɪsᴛ ʜɪs sᴇxɪɴᴇss ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ɪs ᴀʟʟ ᴍᴇᴀɴɪɴɢʟᴇss. ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅ ɪs ɴᴇᴀʀ.ɪ ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴜsᴜᴀʟʟʏ ʀᴇᴀᴅ sᴏᴍᴇ ᴏʟᴅ ɪʀᴄ ʟᴏɢs ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʀʏ ᴍʏsᴇʟғ ᴛᴏ sʟᴇᴇᴘ.

Thanks given by: Electric2Shock
(09-23-2012, 04:30 PM)Lord Silva Wrote:  ANY OTHER HIPSTER LANGUAGE - Cannot program in those. They make no god damn sense to me, the syntax is so god damn horrible it makes my eyes bleed. People complain about the syntax in C and stuff, which i don't understand. I look at it, and its beautiful, it's basically art.

CLASSIC vs MODERN

dundundundunnn

(09-23-2012, 10:38 AM)A-MAN Wrote:  (the whole interpreter is compiled with the code, which mean additional 2 mega bytes to your program
technically silva is still right about it then?
2 mb of python to make it run
Thanks given by: