Poll: What do you think of SOPA and PIPA?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I think it's a good idea.
0%
0 0%
I don't really have an opinion.
4.55%
2 4.55%
I don't like them, and they shouldn't pass.
56.82%
25 56.82%
Let's do a LFE blackout.
38.64%
17 38.64%
Total 44 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think of SOPA and PIPA?
The bill came from U.S. government.

Does this mean they can only block sites hosted in U.S., and block outside infringing sites from their people,

so they can't stop me from opening illegal sites (according to the bill) that are hosted outside the U.S., is this correct or not? :P .

Megaupload was blocked by now, but the others (e.g. mediafire) have not. Is it because Megaupload was hosted in U.S. while the others are not? :P . If so, then the bill does not really give them any advantage because outsiders are still pirating their contents while they cannot pirate anymore. This is quite confusing for me lolol.
TEMPE
Thanks given by:
Also, megaupload is back already, hosted elsewhere.
Thanks given by:
(01-24-2012, 12:00 PM)Kevin Wrote:  so they can't stop me from opening illegal sites (according to the bill) that are hosted outside the U.S., is this correct or not? :P .
It's not quite clear how DNS(Domain Name System)-blocking was ment to work exactly, but they have the means to block the address for sites outside of the USA. Either way, as far as I know they decided against putting DNS-blocking into the bill because of the massive protest.
I find it highly unlikely that SOPA will pass anytime in the near future. However, they've made a new proposed act called OPEN which is supposed to take away any means of getting money for "illegal" sites (also outside of the USA, actually especially those outside of it). Which is like the only purpose of them. That one's not as crazy (No SOPA-like "We can shut down any site that enables or faciliates illegal stuff" as far as I know. Really, which site doesn't enable people to post illegal content? The internet as a whole enables them to. Have fun shutting down the internet), but I'm not sure whether I like it, either.
Google supports it btw. Even facebook I think.
Quote:Megaupload was blocked by now, but the others (e.g. mediafire) have not. Is it because Megaupload was hosted in U.S. while the others are not? :P
I'm not quite sure about Megaupload, but there have been some articles about them paying specifically for illegal content. Either way, SOPA hasn't been passed yet, so shutting down sites is sort of a grey zone really.

Also awesome quote from the American Movie whatever Association: SOPA will most likely work, because China etc. are using similar systems and they work for them :P
Thanks given by:
Hmm. It's unfair if they are ruining the sites hosted outside the U.S. It means people from any country must follow the rules.
People are always only required to follow the rules from their own countries, and U.S. cannot force people outside to follow their rules, even with the OPEN act.

It is a very aggressive act. It is very close or even the same to 'attacking other nation's people'.
They may have won the Tetris tournament, but that's not enough!
TEMPE
Thanks given by: Electric2Shock