C++
where can i download C++
because i dont really know how to use java for some programming

could i have some tips about java or C++
My new Char!!! (Click to View)
:wtf:

~Sym
Thanks given by:
If you want a (free) program to develop in C++, try I believe the last 2 may require some setting up with compilers and such.

General tips for C++? Hmmm....

Memory management. The only thing which makes C++ millions of times more annoying than other programming languages. Make sure you do it, and that you do it well.

I am not too familiar with Java, but I assume following generic programming tips will pretty much keep you away from trouble (in C++ as well). (Generic programming tips being document your code, be efficient and sparing with variable usage, and be concise.)
Hiding users' signatures and avatars was the best decision ever.
4ye 6anDy (Click to View)
We're watching you... (Click to View)
Thanks given by:
@blow:thanks but i wanna make a MMORPG and stuff like that i saw a guide
by the person who made eternal legacy i think?

heres what he said:
This article will focus on the first steps in building your own Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPG). It's target is the indie game developer, with limited resources and experience. After reading this article, you should know what it takes to get started, and some advises regarding what to do and what not to do. The very first step is to assess your skills, and your resources. You need to be honest with yourself, because it can be frustrating to waste your time trying to build something you just can't.

Step one: Assessing your skills
Required Skills:
1.Know at least one programming language. So far, C++ is the most popular choice among game developers due to efficiency and performance advantages. Visual Basic, Java or C# might do the job as well.

2.Become familiar with a graphic library. Popular choices are SDL, OpenGL, or DX/D3D.
3.Choose the network library to utilize. You can chose between WinSock, SDL_net, or DirectPlay.

4.Have general experience in game programming. For example, the events loop, multithreading, GUI design, etc.
Highly Recommended Skills:
1.Client/Server communication and architecture.
2.Multiplatform programming. You might want to design your MMORPG, and especially the server such that it can run on multiple OSs. For this purpose, I recommend using SDL, OpenGL and SDL_net.

3.Web development. This will be needed if you want to enable people to view player statistics, server information, and other information on a website.
4.Security & Administration. You don't want someone to hack your server, and mess around!
5.Team skills. You will need a team that you can successfully lead and manage.

Step Two: Making a preliminary design
I have noticed many people posting in various forums looking for teams to make MMORPGs. Most of them start with something like this: "We are a starting company/game studio and we need 3 artists, 2 programmers, 1 musician, etc. for an innovative, never seen before MMORPG where you will have total freedom to do whatever you want and reshape the world, etc. We will pay you when it's done and we make some money." Unfortunately, with the current technology and limited bandwidth, you cannot have a dynamic world. Aiming at something impossible leads to failure. Rather, try to come up with a small, functional, expandable design and architecture.

Basic software architecture
First, try to focus on making a simple client/server model, where you will be able to:

1.Create a new character
2.Save that character (server side)
3.Log in with the character
4.Be able to chat with others
5.Be able to navigate around in 3D
Saving characters might seem simple, but in fact, it isn't. For example, there are two ways of saving the characters: using a database server or using files. There are advantages and disadvantages for both:

and so on and so on blow any thoughts on how to get these programs?

~Sym
Thanks given by:

Hmm I have never learned C++ seriously but as far as I know C++ can do most of the things and it's one of the best programming languages. In my opinion OpenGL is the most comfortable open source for graphics but it's still too complicated for me : P .

But that's all I know, lol, I'm just too far away from making... MMORPG?? Wait, you wait 4.5 years and hopefully by that time I already finishes my 'Cloud Computing for Games' studies and may be able to help. XD .

General tips for C++... try to work tidily because that has been my biggest problem in many (small) projects. If it happens to bigger projects it'll be multiple times more confusing xD . Oo good programmers usually have strict rules in coding everything so that everything is arranged systematically (at least, I saw this so many times when I'm seeing some tutorials :P )

I'm sorry if I happen to underestimate you with this question :| .
Do you have good programming skills? Because I believe 3D MMORPG is a big thing even for programmers.
TEMPE
Thanks given by:
(01-17-2012, 11:41 AM)Kevin Wrote:  Hmm I have never learned C++ seriously but as far as I know C++ can do most of the things and it's one of the best programming languages. In my opinion OpenGL is the most comfortable open source for graphics but it's still too complicated for me : P .

i think same
(01-17-2012, 11:41 AM)Kevin Wrote:  But that's all I know, lol, I'm just too far away from making... MMORPG?? Wait, you wait 4.5 years and hopefully by that time I already finishes my 'Cloud Computing for Games' studies and may be able to help. XD .

4.5 years!

(01-17-2012, 11:41 AM)Kevin Wrote:  General tips for C++... try to work tidily because that has been my biggest problem in many (small) projects. If it happens to bigger projects it'll be multiple times more confusing xD . Oo good programmers usually have strict rules in coding everything so that everything is arranged systematically (at least, I saw this so many times when I'm seeing some tutorials :P )

ok thanks for your help :D

(01-17-2012, 11:41 AM)Kevin Wrote:  I'm sorry if I happen to underestimate you with this question :| .
Do you have good programming skills? Because I believe 3D MMORPG is a big thing even for programmers.

uh...heh heh

one question!
what are your higher points?

in my project i was thinking
that my jobs are the:

(design (3D editor) advertiser, economy, programing, database maker and webmaster

~Sym
Thanks given by:
what are your higher points? what do you mean? xD .
TEMPE
Thanks given by: