-> 
Hey guys, I'm back~

With a character that's long overdue.

He fights with knives,
he fights with haste,
he flips and dodges,
he's a cat, dammit!

He is QUILL!

Sorry, no video for now, the computer's acting up. Here's one of the spritesheets, though.
The Sprites (Click to View)
Better yet, try the character out, and tell me what you think!

EDIT: Now the knives you've thrown will stick in the ground for a short time! Thanks, YinYin and Alblaka, for the help with that. And as an added bonus, your opponents can trip over the knives!

EDIT: And, you can press DJA to take off the hat and throw knives out of it!

EDIT February 2 2012: I figured out what it was missing. Suspenders. So, I added them, and also improved the facepic, changing the general style and the hat.

EDIT April 14 2012: The character seemed underpowered, so I increased the hitboxes a bit, and changed the teleport move to make it less likely to result in Quill being punched in the face.

EDIT April 18 2012: The character seemed overpowered, so I drastically increased the mp costs and decreased the damage of knife throws somewhat. Don't worry, Quill is still a tough customer.

EDIT July 18 2012:Minor update. Now the frontflip knife throws work properly no matter how late in the flip you are when you start the move. Also, now when an enemy grabs you, you can spend 300 MP to interrupt the grab by pressing the Attack button!
Can this please be submitted to the mainsite? I believe it's done now.

Download:

Attached Files
.zip   Quill.zip (Size: 121.56 KB / Downloads: 235)
Henry David Thoreau Wrote:
Let your life be a counter-friction to stop the machine.
You gave us a readme on how to install but no download?
BTW the char is looking interesting!
Thanks given by:
(06-16-2011, 07:25 AM)Sonic Boom Wrote:  You gave us a readme on how to install but no download?
BTW the char is looking interesting!

Dammit lol, I STILL haven't gotten used to selecting the file AND pressing the "upload file" button afterwards. xD

Fixed it.
awesome char!
About the backflip thing - I had a similar idea in mind ^^

The backflip and the skills are pretty easy to use -> it's very satisfying to throw the knife during backflip. :)
Improvements could be made:
a) > j is doing the frontflip (this one should be similar to the backflip and not the current frontflip while running
b) more than 2 knives ;) Rudolf has infinite throwing stars, too. (what about a max of 5?)
c) picking up stuff
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the feedback!
Yeah, pressing D while runnning seemed like the cleanest way to implement the frontflip. The other way I tried would have needed some annoying itrk8.

And he can only throw one knife well out of each hand. :p
Not to mention, if you throw them at the right range, so that they hit blade first, they'll do plenty of damage. Rudolf's already got a throw-5 projectiles thing. So does Henry. Might as well make this guy unique. :)

Sorry about the lack of picking stuff up. That's just because of how the whole knife-system works.
Thanks given by:
I like the catoony style of the sprites, gives a nice touch to the character :)

You can be assured I will test your character as soon as I get some more free time...I'll post my comments then.
Thanks given by:
Tzz who needs to pick up weapons anyway ;)
You could add something like a bag where he has more knives in it (for example like in assassins creed)
Thanks given by: Memento
I like to think that he pulls them out of his hat while you aren't looking.

@Divisor: Thanks! Yeah, this is the first fully original-sprited char I've made! I decided on a simplified style so it wouldn't look... horrible lol.
Thanks given by:
(06-17-2011, 11:52 AM)Jed37 Wrote:  I decided on a simplified style so it wouldn't look... horrible lol.

I hate to tell you this (no, I don't), but it looks horrible. I tried sketching a face-pic and found a complete lack of distinct features. Your "simplified style", as you put it, is a real problem. I mean, really, the guy is bald, wears a one feathered gentleman's hat and is kinda brown, which makes him looks like a brown onion. Those big eyes don't help either. Did you write bad ideas on paper, put them in bad idea box, and guided by a bad idea to draw bad ideas from a bad idea box, you got "Mickey's eyes", or something? Jeesh.
Thanks given by:
i think its a cat... isnt it?
Thanks given by: