Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parkour game prototype
Hey... well this game is incomplete on my computer for about a month, I lost my motivation
so I'm here to know what should I improve on what is already implemented, I know what I have to add later, I'm asking for what will have to be modifield... ignore the map, it's temporary.

controls are simple
arrow keys move
space springs your legs
shift(hold) activate short movements, usually moves you don't need to run to be able to do.

hold shift and press arrows to walk
hold shift and press space to precision jump

temporary:
Q - next char
shift Q - prev char

<object data="http://www.swfcabin.com/swf-files/1273620686.swf" width="500" height="440">
<param name="src" value="http://www.swfcabin.com/swf-files/1273620686.swf">
<embed width="500" height="440" src="http://www.swfcabin.com/swf-files/1273620686.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">If you can see this, you can't see youTube!</embed>
</object>

future development: (if any)
damage from wrong techniques.
walkscale with arrow keys.
context sensetive vaulting.
fall impact damage.
skill roll for absorbing greater heights impact.
menu ( :P ).
level editor.
paralax background support for level editor.
[Image: bilxvzqm0a6dmcc6c.png]
by firzenX's graphics shop

my spriting attempts | Char: Boomer
odBearBecauseHeIsVeryGoodSiuHungIsAGo
chishio: "The only limitations in life, are those imposed by yourself and the laws of physics." - learn parkour or join the matrix (either will set you free from physics).
Thanks given by:
nice...
>CLICKY<
[Image: UB2.gif]
FrozenFiren|Devid|Sprites

News of the day 19th Sep 10: Someone's back on track
Thanks given by:
why embed tags only work on admins' posts? XD

problem with that link there forgetlatios is that it will show the black thing around the camera and the backgrounds outside player's view
it should really be 500 x 440

chishio: "The only limitations in life, are those imposed by yourself and the laws of physics." - learn parkour or join the matrix (either will set you free from physics).
Thanks given by:
well, the engine seems flawless, nice and all... but you cant really do something besides mobing, jumping and dying D:
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2010, 12:38 PM)SparK Wrote:  Hey... well this game is incomplete on my computer for about a month, I lost my motivation

future development: (if any)
damage from wrong techniques.
walkscale with arrow keys.
context sensetive vaulting.
fall impact damage.
skill roll for absorbing greater heights impact.
menu ( :P ).
level editor.
paralax background support for level editor.

he may work on it. lets hope. it could be nice. :D
[Image: UB2.gif]
FrozenFiren|Devid|Sprites

News of the day 19th Sep 10: Someone's back on track
Thanks given by: SparK
Yea, the menu would be great. Right now, you have to reload the page when you die.
Oh, and giving pointers of where to go would be good

...Now, improving what's already there...
Well, the engine runs flawlessly, as Bamb pointed out. And there's not much in it 'cept the engine, so there's not much left.

Oh, some more things for any eventual update: (Shouldn't be that hard)

Backgrounds
Perhaps blocks that ain't transparent lineart
More difference in characters, abilities and looks

Buuut... I suggest you keep going.
| Metaknight | G-types | Bottle Skinz | Companion Cube | Art Gallery |
"Do not grieve, it is logical. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."
- Mr. Spock
"A man's not dead while his name is still spoken"
- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal
(05-12-2010, 01:12 PM)SirFrog Wrote:  Yea, the menu would be great. Right now, you have to reload the page when you die.
Oh, and giving pointers of where to go would be good

...Now, improving what's already there...
Well, the engine runs flawlessly, as Bamb pointed out. And there's not much in it 'cept the engine, so there's not much left.

Oh, some more things for any eventual update: (Shouldn't be that hard)

Backgrounds
Perhaps blocks that ain't transparent lineart
More difference in characters, abilities and looks

Buuut... I suggest you keep going.

a friend of mine motion captured some of the moves and all so he felt like the "graphics guy"
he mapped a whole city rooftop map
so forgeting about visual (closing your eyes... no, it wouldn't work) about the engine do you have any other suggestions other than those I have on the list

like, is the hitbox accurate enough? the action->reaction factor (tested by the bouncing blocks) is good enough or they should bounce forever? (and increase player damage by impact later, ouch)
I'm planning to use every variable that logically relates to the movements to interfere so they have to be properly adjusted.
also, the sliding thing when you run, it's not a feature but a bug...
and super mario world has exactly the same bug... XD

criticise away, i know you are good at it and i need some real feedback ;)

Thanks given by:
Î wanna see the rooftop map! :D
Anyway, the blocks definitely shouldn't bounce forever. It's nice the way it is now. Would be cool if they moved when you run against them, though.
The whole engine seems to work flawless. However, you can turn around incredibly fast while running.
Further suggestions:
- New abilities could contain rowing/ sliding under barriers or grabbing something.
- As said, more interaction with the environment. This could also contain special useful objects like ropes etc.
- Time counter to see how fast you can manage a level.
- At a much later point: customizabilitly of the stickman. But I guess nobody cares about stuff like that for now.
(05-12-2010, 03:16 PM)Reaper Wrote:  Î wanna see the rooftop map! :D
Anyway, the blocks definitely shouldn't bounce forever. It's nice the way it is now. Would be cool if they moved when you run against them, though.
The whole engine seems to work flawless. However, you can turn around incredibly fast while running.
Further suggestions:
- New abilities could contain rowing/ sliding under barriers or grabbing something.
- As said, more interaction with the environment. This could also contain special useful objects like ropes etc.
- Time counter to see how fast you can manage a level.
- At a much later point: customizabilitly of the stickman. But I guess nobody cares about stuff like that for now.

for now we have 6 chars which are from an RP community that writes about mirror's edge
Burke is a competent runner, she got in to fulfill the hole leaf and celeste left behind. (leaf died and cel became evil)
Isaac was the runner wannabe but now he is the main tracker that has to work by himself sometimes because his runners are ocupied.
Dion is an ex-elite shooter that didn't get a name so they named him Dion and adopted him to the runner family...
Jacob is the fighting guy, never worried with his deliveries but only with the police and the governament, thus why he doesn't run that well but he sure can fight.
Garret is the balanced guy, he fights, he runs, he dances, he sings and happens to be kind of the backup all in one guy too.
Cross is not part of the runners, he is a private security dog trained to porsue and arrest high skilled runners (yes you can play with the 'bad guy' too), despite being an ex-runner he really believes that the city must fall from inside and not by the public pressure (the runners) so he fights to stop runners and let the empire raise so it can fall forever...

if you like to write and read stories pay us a visit

ps: not trying to steal forum members but the game is inspired by the story! XD
burkel.proboards.com
oh btw, the awesome animator that is working with me on this game is Wray Ayrton Burges, which happens to be the owner of impLoad independent games and also plays the role of Isaac Preston on the story (Main character, nobody catches up with him, well... Cross almost does)

Thanks given by: