Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Make Your Own Character Base
Note, if you would like to download this tutorial, instead of squinting at the picture, or zooming in on the browser, I've added this for you:

Tired of using some other characters base so that you can make your own? Don't think dennis' body is good enough for you? Maybe bat just doesn't have that funky style? Maybe you just hate the stances. I've made this short tutorial so that you could create your own bases. For all of your characters stances and moves.

I've taken this form of base making from an artistic style of drawing. And before anyone says, I haven't got a touch pad.. you don't need one. I created this with an ordinary computer mouse, and paint. You can use photoshop, photofiltre and gimp, to the same effects.

To start, you'll need to make a 158 x 158 picture. This is double the height and width of the ordinary LF2 character pictures. However, this is so that you can add more detail in where needed, and pay careful attention to everything. Try to use a 2px brush for when you create the skeleton, then when bulking out use a 1px brush and reinforce it. So here goes:

Right, just so you know, you do not have to be an amazing spriter to do this. And as everyone else will tell you, spriting takes TIME. To get anywhere in life, and to build good effects to your pictures, you will need to manage the time on that picture. Five minutes will not help you get anywhere.

I hope this helped you. If you have any questions, just post below :D. Oh, and thanks are more than welcome! Hint hint, nudge nudge... you get my drift. Lol, only jokin'!

Eddie
One day, I shall become, TUTORIAL-MAN: Superhero of writing overly long, overly annoying tutorials which most people probably won't read, but will give it a stab at the first 5 lines!
Thanks given by: Bamboori , lf2TimmE1 , Lord Anu , Sutetsu
Cheers Simoneon, I forgot how to turn it into a spoiler. Now I remember how, you've made my job easy lol.
One day, I shall become, TUTORIAL-MAN: Superhero of writing overly long, overly annoying tutorials which most people probably won't read, but will give it a stab at the first 5 lines!
Thanks given by:
Actually, in your tutorial, the S-shaped spine is pretty useless. You could have made the body shape right away or just made a straight line, since I didn't see it's form help you do the body. Please correct me if I'm wrong. (Yes, I know the spine is shaped like that.)

Other than that, nice tutorial :D

Oh, and when someone starts picking on the smallest mistakes, take it as a success ;D

TITLE: a idea
make cave for bear?
Thanks given by: Eddie , LutiChris
(11-22-2009, 03:20 PM)snorsorbet Wrote:  Actually, in your tutorial, the S-shaped spine is pretty useless. You could have made the body shape right away or just made a straight line, since I didn't see it's form help you do the body. Please correct me if I'm wrong. (Yes, I know the spine is shaped like that.)

Other than that, nice tutorial :D

Oh, and when someone starts picking on the smallest mistakes, take it as a success ;D

You're actually quite right, but I always see it as good practise to put the S shape in there, for any future development in art. Thanks for the information on that, I just attempted it with a straight line, and it does work nicely. However, the S shape does help slightly. This is primarily because you can pinpoint more exactly where the shoulder line should be, aswell as the bottom of the chest, etc. With a straight line, I'd have to say 'three quarters of the way up' or 'half the way up'.

Once again, cheers for the feedback, it's what I live for.
Eddie
Thanks given by:
Cheers space, good to know you like it. :D
Thanks given by: NoelVex
Awesome stuff Eddie, cheers dude. :)
Thanks given by: