Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Can't run any mods.
Hi, after a long time, I wanted to play LF2 again and discovered a problem.

I can't play ANY mods at all. I've tried reinstallning them, copying them into the original LF2 folder (replacing data and all that).

Still doesn't work, all I get is ''couldn't create art surface'' on ALL MODS. What is the problem? I'm kinda frustrated and hope you guys could help me out.

Also: I have reinstalled the original 1.9c over and over, and the mods over and over.. still nothing.

Thanks
Thanks given by:
So, you can't play original version too? If it does work, so there is no problem with files.
Thanks given by:
I can play on original versions, but when I put modsfiles in the folder, CRASH

I can't find any solutions that helps me, I've found one I already did from the beginning.. still doesn't work.

SIGH

Edit: It's so frustrating!!!! I tried to put some customized characters and it's again. Art surface problem. What the hell? I never had this problem on XP... Using Vista right now.. Only 2 of 5 worked without art surface problem.
Thanks given by:
how about you give us a list of mods you've tried, and we can give you instructions how to install.
some mods only contain the modded chars and things, but still depend on the old chars like dennis, john, etc. and you may have replaced the sprites folder with only the few modded chars, deleting the other ones.
Some mods you dont even need to paste over the original versions
Thanks given by:
I've tried out reinforced lf2 and Kate lf2, also lf2-sv (didn't do anything with this mod but still art surface problem). I have been copying the original folder of lf2 and then renamed them for the lfe installers (lf2-Kate and r-lf2) as it says in the read me. I've also just installed the files in a seperate folders and than drag the files into the copied lf2 folders so it's like a manual install. Everything I get it art surface problem, often after 2-5 datas has loaded. So now I'm out of ideas.

Also, I have not replaced the folders, just merged them (and replacing the files require to be replaced) I've also tried running with xp compability tool and still same problem. I have also tried with both v1.9c and 2.0 non of them works modified..
Anyone please help.. It's really frustrating, I can't find any solution anywhere.
Thanks given by:
well, maybe XP is just better (sorry, thats a terrible solution)
if its an 'cannot create art surface' problem, then it means there are pictures missing.
now try R-lf2, which picture does it say that it cannot read? Go into the sys folder, and look for that sprite. if it is there, there is something wrong with your computer. If it isnt there, then there is something wrong with your download, and install thing, so download it from somewhere else
Thanks given by:
(10-28-2009, 11:01 AM)Alectric Wrote:  well, maybe XP is just better (sorry, thats a terrible solution)
if its an 'cannot create art surface' problem, then it means there are pictures missing.
now try R-lf2, which picture does it say that it cannot read? Go into the sys folder, and look for that sprite. if it is there, there is something wrong with your computer. If it isnt there, then there is something wrong with your download, and install thing, so download it from somewhere else

I just found the problem. Before, I could play those versions but then it has this bug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK069VI37gY

Then, I found a solution on the internet to download DirectX Control Panel and everything will be normal. But it turned out it's only normal on NORMAL LF2. When it's something customized, it gets art surface problem. I don't know how it could be like that. But the strange is, I downloaded a few custom characters like YinYin's Beeya, and then HC's Aeron. Beeya got art surface problem but not Beeya.
PS. Nevermind, I'll just give up this game, thanks for trying to help me out anyway, Chao.
Thanks given by:
This surely is a common error message - it means that a certain picture couldn't be found. Before you close LF2.exe, open the text file "temporary.txt" in the data-folder. The dat.-file being read when the error occured will be shown. In the first few lines, you can see the noted pictures and where they should be (starting from the folder with the EXE-File). Check if they're really in the right location - if not, move the images to the right folder.

If the picture is in the right place but you are still encountering this error, then there is something wrong with the bmp file. Open the picture in mspaint, select the entire canvas (ctrl+a) and copy it (ctrl+c). Then create a brand new mspaint document and paste the image. Save the file and try using this new bmp file instead of the old one. Be sure to keep the original as a back up!
Thanks given by:
Either the picture is missing (which is doubtful considering you reinstalled it plenty of times) or you don't have enough memory to run the game.
Thanks given by:
May you just didn't follow the customated installation instruction
try reading the readme
or did you do?
Thanks given by: