Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Music while dcing
(05-05-2009, 04:48 PM)Yakui Wrote:  also grindcore usually sucks by default unless in combination with other genres
Art isn't that categorizable anymore either, you see
:D
Anyway it isn't like if we( or at least I) are only listening to one genre. Just while spriting I mostly listen to sonata artica.
If not than greenday is quite cool, also many different bands like guns'n roses.... And even pop music can be nice. Hiphop is the only genre I categorily don't like. Well grindcore is the second one. But everything else. Even some Jazz...
The main reason why I'm mostly listening to sonata artica is that they really want to say something with their songs. You normally don't find it that much in pop songs( and if you do, its mainly love....)

@nocturneSama: How can you listen to one band only? I can understand not listening to music( I don't listen very much), but one band the whole time... Isn't that boring?
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2009, 02:22 PM)Reaper Wrote:  
(05-05-2009, 04:48 PM)Yakui Wrote:  also grindcore usually sucks by default unless in combination with other genres
Art isn't that categorizable anymore either, you see
:D
Anyway it isn't like if we( or at least I) are only listening to one genre. Just while spriting I mostly listen to sonata artica.
If not than greenday is quite cool, also many different bands like guns'n roses.... And even pop music can be nice. Hiphop is the only genre I categorily don't like. Well grindcore is the second one. But everything else. Even some Jazz...
The main reason why I'm mostly listening to sonata artica is that they really want to say something with their songs. You normally don't find it that much in pop songs( and if you do, its mainly love....)
Don't get me wrong here, I'm mainly talking about musicians/bands that place themselves into a single genre in comparison to those that make music in any way. All genres were invented in some way or another, but that doesn't mean you have to pick a particular one up and just go play that forever and ever. It's much more interesting if you come up with something on your own instead of following guidelines. I wasn't talking about people's tastes in genre, I'm very sure they have a variation, and if they don't they're either lying or just can't stand music and have no acknowledgement for music's origins.

Apart from that, I for one absolutely can't stand pop music (includes pop punk like Green Day) and moneymaking, and when it comes to metal I mostly like drone and (some) black metal, though even there I'd rather be specific instead of naming the whole genre. I really don't like the whole powermetal "epic" cliche, you see.

I do like all sorts of music, ranging from 60's rock like Lou Reed/Velvet Underground and Bob Dylan to experimental drone/noise like Opaque and the drum madness of Foot Village. I like Jazz, too, especially free jazz and stuff like John Zorn.

I just think most people who listen and like music just don't take the time to look deeper for good things and just pick up whatever is popular, I've yet to hear anything obscure in this thread apart from, say, that stuff JossuaDC posted, though even there I already knew Crystal Castles at least by name.

also nocturnesama there's loads of cool industrial you silly goose
Thanks given by:
ok, I really understood you kinda wrong.
Anyway, many many people are listening to a genre, thats just a fact. And if, for example, a death metal band tried to play jazz... Nobody would listen to them. And thats not what they wanted to happen, even if money isn't interesting for them.
Like when they want to tell the people something with their songs.

So it isn't easy to play what you want if you are a band. Or at least to sell what you want to play.
Besides that I don't think every band says: We want to play xxx. They play the music they like. And then the people say: what you are playing is xxx.
I'm not sure about pop bands there. They quite often just get the songs they have to play.

In my opinion its also much easier for them to play one genre as the types of playing are very different and as the lyrics often fit in best with one kind of music. For example the stories told in power metal just need an epic touch also in the music. Furthermore many bands that played long enough sometimes get to a point where they say: One kind of music is just too boring. Lets start something new.

And yeah, I haven't taken a deeper look as I don't hear much music anyway( sometimes I don't listen to it for weeks or months... Btw: When I'm nearly not listening to it, why am I posting here so much? I don't know, but its somehow interesting...), but it takes quite a long time to try out just the relatively famous bands( listening, reading and translating all the lyrics :D Fortunately I don't have many CD's. mainly my brother has.)

Thanks given by:
(05-07-2009, 02:25 PM)Reaper Wrote:  And if, for example, a death metal band tried to play jazz... Nobody would listen to them.

I actually think that would be really really awesome and I'm sure there's quite a few people backing me on that, so yes even then people would be listening to them. If you do that you're more likely to have listeners than if you start playing generic rock cover songs, I'd say. At least sets you apart from most other bands and that is almost always a good thing.

The thing is they shouldn't be "playing a genre", they should be "playing music" and then later thinking about what genre(s) that might be.
Thanks given by:
Exactly,

and ontopic: I'm listening to Metallica when DC'ing, or something different when I'm bored ;)
Thanks given by: