Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
【mod】A Song of Fighters and Julian
[Image: 36457655862_abb7ce8a3f_c.jpg]

Hello, I am z824650, an ordinary player and fan of LF2 from Taiwan.
This mod took me three months to finish. It is not a big work, but I still hope you guys enjoy it!

Introduction (Click to View)

Announcements (Click to View)

Special thanks (Click to View)

Bugs already found(without good ways to improve) (Click to View)

Thanks given by:
Good to see new mods are still being created, downloaded and will give it a go some time soon.

Based on your post, some initial reactions before I play through and give a proper review:
* Ah... the 艾爾卡特 exe. I know I'd have to expect some of the bugs you mentioned below as well as the different AI.
* Very flashy super moves with big AOE there. I'm usually very skeptical of super/hell moves because they can be easily abused or stages become designed to abuse those moves, but I'll reserve judgement until I play it.
* Asked to use specific characters/soldiers? Uh oh... that's not a good sign.
* No HK Colloseum map?! RIOT!!!

I will take note of the recording bug issue you mentioned in case I do make a video to upload.
[Image: uMSShyX.png]
~Spy_The_Man1993~
Steiner v3.00 (outdated), Challenge Stage v1.51
Luigi's Easier Data-Editor, A-Man's Sprite Mirrorer
Working on the LF2 Rebalance mod.
Thanks given by:
Facepalm it's marti not martin
great to see some new mods for lf2! i can't download it right now (crappy connection) but i can that you put a lot of effort into it from the screenies. keep up the good work!
make sure to check my sprites!
I guarantee your eyes won't hurt! At least, they won't hurt too much :p !
Thanks given by:
I'm sorry, this mod is absolute garbage and it advertises itself falsely.

It changed a lot of basic abilities and uses a lot of opoint spamming and no thought about basic mechanics. The stage/background itself spams effects that physically harm your eyes such as constant full screen white flashes (lightning effect) and it places obstacles that will punish you even if you do the right thing.
EPILEPSY WARNING: Flashing screen (Click to View)
This gif basically sums up what to expect from the mod. That's Deep normal jump/dash attack btw.
Oh, and HKC (HK Colosseum) map is not in this mod.

Characters:
Let me put it this way:
Woody's teleport inputs (D^J/DvJ) aren't even fixed in his defend frame.
Deep & Davis both have weird regular punches - the former is replaced by some big slashing move, the latter becomes an autocombo of AAA punnch x2 -> grab.
John's punch is replaced by a summon spell. All his spells automatically summon more magic circles. He has an ultimate move that does 400 damage.
Rudolf turns invisible and creates a clone whenever he takes damage, and 2 shurikens come out of his butt whenever he crouches.
Louis, Firen & Freeze passively creates random lightning/fire/ice, even if they are just running around.
Henry & Hunter both create an arrow rain whenever the arrow misses and hits the ground instead.
Bat turns invisible and summons bats every time he does an attack and has no normal dash attack. He can create a sword that shoots more bats when swung and explodes when dropped.

Julian has unlimited armor, creates mirror images that explode, shoots double the skulls & soul bomb leaves a trail of skulls, has increased damage, big bang has super large AOE & potentially instant kills... and if he grabs you he can delete you. Also, his big bang & grab will hurt your eyes because it keeps flashing full black screen effect.

Soldiers have NOT been changed in this mod btw, only Hunter is affected due to Henry & Knight's armor doesn't reduce damage.
How is this balanced at all? And how can you say that "this mod doesn't have too much basic change"?

Stage:
And as you'd expect, it spams projectiles at you and uses frustrating obstacles, and then it has a nerve to force you to use a specific character - and these chars may require the lf2.net cheat in the first place.
Do note I usually play on Difficult.
Stage Details (Click to View)
In summary,
I'm disappointed. The author had advertised it as a mod that "didn't change the basics", and so I was hoping it would be a mod that feels like the original LF2 with its deep & interesting combos and a stage that has me actually beating up goons skillfully. Instead all I got was a standard overpowered mod that spams tonnes of things, and it physically hurt my eyes with flashing effects. I would not have been this harsh if it were honest about being overpowered and if it didn't actually use bright flashing effects that hurt the eyes.

To the author's credit he did cite his sources for everything he used in his readme, but that's the only thing I can really praise this mod for.
(EDIT: rewlf2 said that apparently the author didn't properly credit some of the BGs he did.)
~Spy_The_Man1993~
Thanks given by: rewlf2 , Bamboori , AmadisLFE , LutiChris
It does get on my nerves when you don't properly cite ALL references you have included.

Firstly, I do not publish Azure Field, Volcano Site and Forbidden Tower Top individually, only bundled inside LF2Hongba. I am fine if you cite me as the creator of these backgrounds bundled in my version, but you didn't credit me at all.

None of inspiration for all stage puzzle is credited. In particular there are a few puzzles and features I find directly ripped from Julian War 2.

For the balance... I should rephrase.
I tried a few matches, which I find a fighter being significantly stronger when health drops low (or some conditiions). Many of moves have very large advantage against original moves despite the damage isn't much increased.
I also find characters difficult to control and have a lot of invulnerability frames in powered moves. This style is much more like R-LF2, which basically doesn't fit with original LF2 style. I suggest you should stay on either side.

As I see between the works, you seem to lack actual knowledge to merge and amend matter properly:

Forbidden Tower in ruins has improper parallax
Stages with spawned hostile projectiles will greatly prolong stage clearing time (8-15s after killing off enemies)
Some problems said by STM
Steep difficulty spikes
Empty substages and dead air
Deep's A and D>A, JA and D^JA are difficult to distinguish
You should proofread spelling of english stage dialogues before publishing
Incredibly persistent soldier waves with no sign of boss
Lack vision (or feedback) to avoid bad aspects of mods you are referring from
You should notice a player to change character when stage is cleared, or better, stages with similar theme should not differ on controllable character
Plenty of stages without indication for helping progressing, or outdated notice (thunder storm in 2nd substage, for example)
Plenty of stages that deal considerable damage before you can react properly
Trying to let player play both as original character (Justin and soldiers) and reinforced character (Julian, Bat and Fighter) is rather unacceptable
Thanks given by: AmadisLFE
(08-19-2017, 01:03 PM)STM1993 Wrote:  The author had advertised it as a mod that "didn't change the basics", and so I was hoping it would be a mod that feels like the original LF2 with its deep & interesting combos and a stage that has me actually beating up goons skillfully.

Hmm...It seems that I made a huge mistake on this mod.

Anymay, I must thank you for playing my mod and replied so diligently.
I already knew you before by watching and subscribing your Youtube channel, and I am sorry that you were disappointed.
However, I can promise that I spent much time and energies on this mod. I tried hard to make this mod better, even though it seems to end up being a disaster.

OK, Actually I was shocked by your reply, and if you still would like to see my explanation, here it is.

Quote:I think the biggest problem is how I understand LF2.

For the characters I made, I originally wanted something like RN or JW2 that didn't have a big change from original version, but I still wanted to make something different. I thought the biggest problem in the original version is that all characters don't have their unique feature, and always rely on their dash attack. In fact, I can 1v4 in HK Colloseum map just by keeping using dash attack no matter which character I choose. As a result, I decided to make characters "unique" and "irreplaceable" after thinking.

Take Freeze for example, a person with ice must move slowly, tried to freeze anyone who gets closely(On the contrary, Firen will try to get close to his enemies and explode all of them). He makes area suited for him to fight, and wait for a good chance to beat his enemy. In the game, what he can do for his team should be the big area control of enemies team. He can freeze and let his teammates kill all of them. On the other side, he can easily counter who is good at chasing, dashing and fighting closely like Dennis and Deep. However, he will be in trouble when a character can easily attack him from a far distance like Henry. This is unique, and no other characters can do the same thing.

For deep, he must be a warrior who fears nothing. He likes to charge forward to enemies(so I change his dash), and want fights as many as he can. As a result, when his hp is lower than half, he can use his ultimate and heal himself, allowing him to throw himself into more fights. Characters like Henry and John should fear him, but Freeze and Davis can easily defeat him.

There are other unique reason how other characters were made, like that you will find Davis hard to get close to enemy and not a good choice for a team fight(countered by Rudolf), but almost no one can defeat him in a duel. There is a note in readme of how and why I created all the characters in Chinese and I am sorry that I didn't translated it into English.

However, I forgot it is a game called LF2, not a game called League of Legends, world of warcraft or something like that. What making the thing worse is that I was still thinking that I am making something not different too much from the original version. It ends up being what you see and make you disappointed.

After all, I still thank you so much for playing and replying. There will be a small chance for me to go improving this mod because of time. If there is someday that I have time and energy, I will try my best to make it better. Yet, I must tell you that it is not, and will NEVER be a garbage because I love LF2, and I put my heart and soul into making it better. This mod is what I tried really hard to make, although it may not be a good one.

(08-19-2017, 01:56 PM)rewlf2 Wrote:  Firstly, I do not publish Azure Field, Volcano Site and Forbidden Tower Top individually, only bundled inside LF2Hongba. I am fine if you cite me as the creator of these backgrounds bundled in my version, but you didn't credit me at all.

To rewLF2, I will check the sources again, correct this mistake, and re-upload it as soon as possible.
Then, I must owe you an apology.

In addition for the English mistake. Sorry not a native speaker. I asked my friend in English department to check the English version. Would you tell me where the mistake is?
Thanks given by: A-Man , Bamboori , STM1993 , Nyamaiku , Simoneon , AmadisLFE , rewlf2 , Gad , Arokh
That is an amazing reply, z824650. Thank you so much for giving us the insight behind all the work that went into the mod. It got me interested — would you mind sharing the design notes on each of the character if you are able to translate it? I might not able to play the mod but I'd gladly read the design behind it!

Thank you for your time!
Thanks given by: STM1993 , AmadisLFE
That's a passionate & well-written reply z824650! Great respect to you!

I do apologize that I was being very harsh and had assumed it wasn't with much effort - now I can see it was all thoroughly thought out & worked on even if it didn't turn out well. I too do love LF2, but I have become cynical because many mods fail to capture what made the original game great and expand upon that. If you do wish to continue to work on the mod or other projects we'd be more than happy to offer help & advice - I'd personally be on the LFE Discord.

I noticed the downloads were taken down however, I was going to re-download and try to read the readme again. Any chance of sharing at least the readme files?
~Spy_The_Man1993~
Thanks given by:
If you are not familiar with english, you can still use Google translate and try translating your dialogues sentence by sentence. This will give you basic ideas of some wordings, like english of "傳說" being "Legend".
Thanks given by: