Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ducking
I'm attempting to make a frame set where a player can duck an incoming attack or ball for a defend length period of time. The problem is I'm having trouble trying to attribute the proper state to it. The only state that I've found [so far] that loads the frames upon using a DjA execution is state 6. But the problem is state 6 is for rowing and the character proceeds to move vertically.

Is there a way to use state 6 but keep the character from moving until the end of the frame? Or should I use a different state?
Escape is a two-syllable word that grants temporary peace in the present to a future victim.
Thanks given by:
I'm not sure if I understood you correctly: I just tried out making a bandit crouch into state 6 from standing & jumping using DJA; I didn't find anything suspicious, the only notable thing is that using this move in mid-air allows the player to land into crouch1 instead of crouch2 (which means being able to cancel into rolling or dashing on landing).

Or are you trying to stop the character from moving completely when he presses DJA like how Woody doesn't move when he teleports in midair? In that case its not the state, you can set dvx, dvy and/or dvz 550.

If you're referring to the character somehow having movement despite not having any movement set for it, then its likely you used a hardcoded frame.
[Image: uMSShyX.png]
~Spy_The_Man1993~
Steiner v3.00 (outdated), Challenge Stage v1.51
Luigi's Easier Data-Editor, A-Man's Sprite Mirrorer
Working on the LF2 Rebalance mod.
Thanks given by:
(09-22-2016, 03:29 PM)STM1993 Wrote:  I'm not sure if I understood you correctly: I just tried out making a bandit crouch into state 6 from standing & jumping using DJA; I didn't find anything suspicious, the only notable thing is that using this move in mid-air allows the player to land into crouch1 instead of crouch2 (which means being able to cancel into rolling or dashing on landing).

Or are you trying to stop the character from moving completely when he presses DJA like how Woody doesn't move when he teleports in midair? In that case its not the state, you can set dvx, dvy and/or dvz 550.

If you're referring to the character somehow having movement despite not having any movement set for it, then its likely you used a hardcoded frame.

More like Woody when he teleports. I'll copy the code and paste it here later because I'm not at my home PC. I was using the defend frames as a base and changed the number for the frames, changed the pics to 47, 71, 72.
Escape is a two-syllable word that grants temporary peace in the present to a future victim.
Thanks given by:
Your basic concept is to have:
1. crouch pic-add wait 15.
2. unvernerable-remove bdy point.
3. unmovable- change 0 to 550 for dvy,dvx,dvz.

Why dont use the state 7, add wait 15 to the frame with crouch pic and remove the bdy point. use frames
390-395. :O
Thanks given by:
This is the code I'm using.

<frame> 510 ducking
pic: 47 state: 15 wait: 12 next: 511 dvx: 550 dvy: 550 dvz: 550 centerx: 35 centery: 79 hit_a: 0 hit_d: 0 hit_j: 0
<frame_end>

<frame> 511 ducking
pic: 71 state: 15 wait: 8 next: 512 dvx: 550 dvy: 550 dvz: 550 centerx: 35 centery: 79 hit_a: 0 hit_d: 0 hit_j: 0
<frame_end>

<frame> 512 ducking
pic: 72 state: 15 wait: 8 next: 999 dvx: 550 dvy: 550 dvz: 550 centerx: 35 centery: 79 hit_a: 0 hit_d: 0 hit_j: 0
<frame_end>

The idea is to simply avoid normal hits and small ball attacks within the specific frame length. Am I missing something?
Thanks given by:
Looks fine. The only thing left is up to your own design choice of how to balance this dodge move:

1) These dodge frames have no bdy at all - that means even a Davis uppercut or Henry flute can't punish the player using it. If you want to only avoid normal hits & ball attacks in general, I would recommend having 2 versions of the same move - aerial where the bdy is torso-up (no legs, see Deep's D^J), and the ground version which would probably need to have a really low bdy (you need to experiment with this as LF2's hitboxes are very inconsistent). But honestly, the ground version is exactly what defend is for in the first place.

2) I think staying frozen in mid-air makes for an awkward move, plus your dodge frames last for a really long period of time, so you could use 550 for the first frame to reset the character's velocity to 0 and then add your own dvx/y/z to make him fall slower.

3) Quick aside: wait 0 is 1tu. wait 1 is 2tu. wait 2 is 3tu. Remember to +1 to the wait to know how long a frame really lasts; in this case your ducking frames last a total of 13+9+9 = 31tu, just 1tu longer than 1 full second.

4) You might want to add wpoint in case the character is carrying a weapon.
[Image: uMSShyX.png]
~Spy_The_Man1993~
Steiner v3.00 (outdated), Challenge Stage v1.51
Luigi's Easier Data-Editor, A-Man's Sprite Mirrorer
Working on the LF2 Rebalance mod.
Thanks given by:
So I figured something out. Not sure if changing the frames to 390's helped but Dennis is finally still.

<frame> 390 ducking
  pic: 36  state: 15  wait: 15  next: 391  dvx: 550  dvy: 550  dvz: 550  centerx: 35  centery: 79  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0
 sound: data\017.wav
<frame_end>

<frame> 391 ducking
  pic: 60  state: 15  wait: 4  next: 392  dvx: 550  dvy: 550  dvz: 550  centerx: 35  centery: 79  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0 hit_Fa: 71
<frame_end>

<frame> 392 ducking
  pic: 60  state: 15  wait: 4  next: 393  dvx: 550  dvy: 550  dvz: 550  centerx: 35  centery: 79  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0 hit_Fa: 71
<frame_end>

<frame> 393 ducking
  pic: 61  state: 6  wait: 4  next: 394  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  dvz: 0  centerx: 35  centery: 79  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 213
<frame_end>

<frame> 394 ducking
  pic: 61  state: 6  wait: 3  next: 395  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  dvz: 0  centerx: 35  centery: 79  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 213
<frame_end>

<frame> 395 ducking
  pic: 36  state: 15  wait: 2  next: 999  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  dvz: 0  centerx: 35  centery: 79  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0
<frame_end>

I added a dash to 393-94 as a quick escape attempt but you have to spam the jump button to escape properly. Wont work will with your back to your enemy.

STM1993 edited this post 09-23-2016 07:16 AM because:
Ohhh derp, I forgot you cannot exceed frame number 399 (400 and above not allowed), that's why the frames didn't work and why LF2 crashed.
Thanks given by:
390,391,392,393,394,395....... with next values corresponding....okay..right.
i take your ducking frames are working :D

But why did you add state 6 into frame 393 and 394.it does not work.

ON other hand,The dash concept of yours requires the frame(213 pic:63) to have momentum which means the frame213 should have a dvx: value 15 or 20.since every in LF2 char doesnt have the dvx: 15 for the dash frame213,
so your char will stop  in pic 63 in mid-air.untill someone hits him.

so change that state 6 to 15.this will help you in ducking not in escaping.

if you want an escape in your ducking frame simply add in hit_j: 102.rather than adding hit_j:213

in frame 102(in rowing) u will notice that the frame has dvx:7(thats momentum)
Thanks given by:
(09-23-2016, 07:02 PM)penew Wrote:  390,391,392,393,394,395....... with next values corresponding....okay..right.
i take your ducking frames are working :D

But why did you add state 6 into frame 393 and 394.it does not work.

ON other hand,The dash concept of yours requires the frame(213 pic:63) to have momentum which means the frame213 should have a dvx: value 15 or 20.since every in LF2 char doesnt have the dvx: 15 for the dash frame213,
so your char will stop  in pic 63 in mid-air.untill someone hits him.

so change that state 6 to 15.this will help you in ducking not in escaping.

if you want an escape in your ducking frame simply add in hit_j: 58.rather than adding hit_j:213

in frame 58(in rowing) u will notice that the frame has dvx:7(thats momentum)

My concept of ducking is to also initiate a change of secondary attacks and/or escape. To some degree, the escape flip dash works but unless the timing is done right, all the character is going to do is fall to the ground. [I will probably remove that for the sake of fluidity and add the additional frame though]
Thanks given by:
oh gosh my bad :p  :p

in previous reply is said something about frame 58 right,so i messed it with pic no.

So i have changed frame no 58 to 102

also i have edited my previous post. see the previous post

by the way, which dash your using

1.the front facing
or
2.revese flip (uses state 6)
Thanks given by: