Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Counter Skill
Here is something clever, yet simple, Leaf has recently posted on the official forum.
A counter skill that will put your character into a special stance for any amount of time.
While being in there it'll lead to two different actions upon being hit from the front or back:
[Image: YQALhmr.gif]
It will only work on light hits though, so powerful attacks will still get through and knock out.

The idea is to catch yourself with a cpoint object and give it the desired front and backhurt tags.
This one has a fronthurt: 70 and backhurt: 102.

To polish this up further I'm sure the self catch could be aligned more precisely.
It could use state 10 on the character instead of 18 on the object to avoid smoke.
And it could use state 3005 to avoid the second shadow. (or next: 1299 if state 3005 creates trouble)

Certainly worth an article for the Adv DC Type 0 section on the main page.

Original thread: http://ztage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1...1&p=163608
He's got some more info on this concerning more states, but I couldn't decipher their meaning through google translate ...

Anyone feel like experimenting with this/creating a study example/writing a main site article?
haha template looks like hes herp derping when he gets into the special stance
so does this cost any mp? or can one do it all the time?! i pretty much know nothing about DC but this seems interesting esp the first one when he rolls away after getting hit, great way to gain some space and recuperate.

yinyin Wrote:Anyone feel like experimenting with this/creating a study example/writing a main site article?

experimenting: yup am up for it (tho ill fail most likely), maybe ill try it on blaze

creating a study example/writing a main site article: still not ready for these sadly xd DC comes hard to me i just know the basics so am sure this is still too advanced for me.

cheers (;
[Image: B5PGcCR.png]
[Image: knTTal3.gif]
| SPRITES | BLAZE |

Thanks given by:
it is like the rock lee drunk status on NTSD
nothing new i guess
Thanks given by:
(01-26-2014, 04:38 AM)onikage Wrote:  so does this cost any mp? or can one do it all the time?!
You can freely assign mp cost to any action you like. So that's never an issue.

(01-26-2014, 01:26 PM)kingisy Wrote:  it is like the rock lee drunk status on NTSD
nothing new i guess

Effects and visuals are exchangeable. Does that status on NTSD use the same trick? I've never seen this before myself. (I've seen many other counter implementations, but none this simple and effective)
Thanks given by:
Okay, I was initially uninterested in this when I first saw this. The only use for me would have been for Louis's Parry move I added for him. Turns out this might make the move much more stable. I want to see if I can use this as a simple action that lasts for a very brief period and shift to another action when the period is over.

In my case, it is to make a guard that lasts for 2-3 TU that can react to an attack. After that, it becomes just a regular guard. Using the fronthurt and backhurt tags should allow Louis to counter properly in a case he gets hit on the wrong side. Think of my idea like a "Perfect Block" mechanic in fighting games that reward you if you defend right before you are hit.

I'll try this when I get home.

Edit: How exactly do you catch yourself? I see that you hop up if you use cp kind:2 without grabbing yourself and state 18 is supposed to be able to hurt yourself, but nowhere has an explanation on how to utilize that to grab yourself.
To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong.
The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must reach beyond the boundaries of time itself.
And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step...
Ask not what others can do for you, but what you can do for others.
Thanks given by:
(01-27-2014, 10:26 PM)Bat Tamer Wrote:  Edit: How exactly do you catch yourself? I see that you hop up if you use cp kind:2 without grabbing yourself and state 18 is supposed to be able to hurt yourself, but nowhere has an explanation on how to utilize that to grab yourself.
A catching object that does not actively walk requires an itr kind 3. State 18 makes all itrs that are not using the explosion effect interact with any object (including its own team).
So you gotta create a new object that uses state 18 and an itr kind 3 to catch yourself and hold you inside the frame with the front and backhurt. Without actual catching and cpoint kind 1 a cpoint kind 2 is useless.
Thanks given by:
(01-25-2014, 05:43 PM)YinYin Wrote:  Original thread: http://ztage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1...1&p=163608
He's got some more info on this concerning more states, but I couldn't decipher their meaning through google translate ...
allow me then

[Image: YQALhmr.gif]
in this image, the template was caught with a ball with cpoint kind:2 that has fronthurtact:70 and backhurtact:120.
Leaf also said that if you didnt have the backhurtact, you will enter normal hurt frames when hit in the back.

other things Leaf said:
in the "caught by ball" frames, you can choose not to use state10. the effect of state10 is that you can be hit by anyone, and you will drop your weapon.
so, you can use state 3 or 15 to replace it. state 0 and 1 is also an option so you can cancel out of the move anytime you want.
then there is state 5. this allows you to turn the character while maintaining the special stance.

and finally, this is what happens when you use state 7:
[Image: DYdkkbU.gif]
Leaf said that if state7 is used, the effect will be the same as an aerial state7. the defense can only be broken by attacks that ignores defense. eg: louis and henry's D^J. thus it will become a strong defensive move instead of a counter move.
back from the dead.....kinda
Thanks given by: YinYin , AmadisLFE , STM1993
(01-31-2014, 08:41 PM)Nyamaiku Wrote:  if you didnt have the backhurtact, you will enter normal hurt frames when hit in the back.
in the "caught by ball" frames, you can choose not to use state10. the effect of state10 is that you can be hit by anyone, and you will drop your weapon.
so, you can use state 3 or 15 to replace it. state 0 and 1 is also an option so you can cancel out of the move anytime you want.
then there is state 5. this allows you to turn the character while maintaining the special stance.
That is some useful stuff. Especially the caught state 5 allowing us to add any number of actions that allow you to turn, even while caught and thus also in the air. amazing

(01-31-2014, 08:41 PM)Nyamaiku Wrote:  thus it will become a strong defensive move instead of a counter move.
Which is pointless because you can simply elevate yourself and use state 7 without the messy cpoint.
Thanks given by:
cool
I know only a bit about counters
Thanks given by: