Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.0a contains malware/virus
Hi everyone,

For a few years now, I've had problems downloading lf2 2.0a from both the mainsite and lf2.net. Both downloads give an alert from my virusscanning program, on different computers and with different virus scanners installed.

I think many people aren't download the game anymore for this reason! So I have two questions:
- Does anybody have a download link without this problem?

And most importantly:
- Does anybody have a quick fix for this problem, so that more people will download the game and play it? It's for the best for the LF2 community if this problem gets fixed ;)
Original character edits
Goku2021
LF2 Timelapse (open source mod)

Thanks given by:
I just noticed HOW TERRIBLE BROWSERS ARE AT TELLING WHAT IS WRONG.
Firefox gives me this after a little clicking on the malware warning message: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how...=inproduct

The website has two links to where you can get your website removed from the the blacklist(s), one for malware at http://stopbadware.com but after searching on that website it said there was record of the site being blacklisted and one for phishing at Google, which for one thing scares me that Google, a big web giant seemingly has the ability to blacklist other websites in browsers by default.

Chrome gives me this: https://www.google.com/transparencyrepor...downloads/ which seems to indicate that lf-empire.de/downloads/* has been blacklisted:
The blacklist site Wrote:
  • Some pages on this website send visitors to dangerous websites.
  • Some pages on this website install malware on visitors' computers.
  • Attackers on this site might try to trick you into installing programs that harm your browsing experience (for example, by changing your homepage or showing extra ads on sites you visit).
Here we have the ever frustrating issue with tech, that people NEVER POINT OUT WHAT IS GOING WRONG. WHICH f***ing PAGES GOOGLE, GIVE ME REAL URLS AND I CAN FIX IT NOT THIS BULLCRAP.

Also, the Google page says that the issue is malware (not phishing), and the Firefox page says that you should report it to Stop Badware, but they say lf-empire is NOT infected, so someone somewhere messed up, whether technologically, informationally or just in general.
Age ratings for movies and games (and similar) have never been a good idea.
One can learn a lot from reinventing wheels.
An unsound argument is not the same as an invalid one.
volatile in C++ does not mean thread-safe.
Do not make APIs unnecessarily asynchronous.
Make C++ operator > again
Trump is an idiot.
Thanks given by:
(04-18-2016, 08:22 PM)Memento Wrote:  For a few years now, I've had problems downloading lf2 2.0a from both the mainsite and lf2.net. Both downloads give an alert from my virusscanning program, on different computers and with different virus scanners installed.
(...)
- Does anybody have a quick fix for this problem, so that more people will download the game and play it? It's for the best for the LF2 community if this problem gets fixed ;)

That would be the LF2 toolbar that comes to install optionally with the installer.

Fix is simple... bundle the already installed LF2 in a .zip, not the installer. Then the toolbar won't be there and the antivirus won't complain.

I also had issues with the HF installer at HFE for the same reason. After I replaced the installer with the program itself, I still had to tell Google to rescan the website to remove the warning. :(
[Image: random.php?pic=random]
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
The meaning of life is to give life a meaning.
Stop existing. Start living.
Thanks given by: Som1Lse , AmadisLFE