Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Character: Killis - Dennis goes kill bill
Introduction
Killis, a modified character from Dennis is a research on making character that significantly gets stronger as the game progress,
and instead of using health, self-destruct or overpowered super moves, Killis starts slow and gets real by unlocking his list of moves, growing into a ridiculously powerful melee fighter.

Description
Killis is a Dennis mod that has a Kill Bill costume color override.
His move list is based on Dennis, but has two variations, one equivalent to what Dennis has and another with double cast speed, named LV2 (Level 2). LV2 Whirlwind wind also has double movement speed.

Killis unlocks his moves via a new move called Break the Chain, which places a counter on how many times this move has been used. Which move is unlocked is wholly dependent on the counter number.

Killis can only use Break the Chain in the beginning, and Break the Chain puts pressure on his survival. In contrast all other moves cost less mana than Dennis does, and using Break the Chain more than 7 times will upgrade his moves.

Due to using counter system, Killis is immune to John and Sorcerer's Heal.

Killis also has a basic attack speed buff that uses light weapon system. In contrast Killis cannot wield and throw any weapon and cannot drink. Killis also cannot jump or dash after a landing unless he is released from a grab.

Video Demonstration
1v3 on Youtube, note that vrest dash attack is removed in final product, healing effect is removed and MP cost isn't accurate

Download
Mediafire

Credits
STM for DC advice
Gad for spriting advice
Thanks given by: Nyamaiku , Gad , Bamboori , STM1993 , AmadisLFE
i honestly dont know what is the use of this character.though it was cool to see that bar sprite.

i got hyped from the word ''chain''.maybe combo's like moves.and got disappointed after trying him out.he doesnt fight like ''kill bill'' except the skin.

This character is special,but you get bored pretty easily due to less moves,i would like to see more of your's effort.
Thanks given by:
The main idea is great.

But sot so well implemented. This is what i watched in video and read in you description.

Lets go in suggestions:
Don't make a special move to increase counter. You can increase counter based on number of other special moves, or in MP they use. Or maybe on the hits that he gets. Or a combination of them all. This is what really makes him stronger while "really fighting".

Second preferably new moves or more powerful ones would be good instead of only increasing speed. Use some more creativity here.

:DDDD
Hope to see something here.

This reminds me the idea that i have used while creating my never published mod, by making characters have different levels of ball power. And balls had different look too.
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2017, 08:35 PM)empirefantasy Wrote:  Lets go in suggestions:
Don't make a special move to increase counter. You can increase counter based on number of other special moves, or in MP they use. Or maybe on the hits that he gets. Or a combination of them all. This is what really makes him stronger while "really fighting".

This character is a demonstration on how to use a counter (specifically, only 1 counter) to alter properties of a character.

Although it is definitely possible to make a fully themed character that uses all the techniques you listed above (MP, hitting, count of all move used) it is not friendly when there is literally no educational character that introduces the Counter concept properly. As such I have made Killis as friendly as possible to Data modifiers, not an appealing character to gamers.

If you want to make a character that implements your idea, you can use the counter I provided in Killis and Counter Template, you SHOULD NOT ask me to make such a character because I stated this character shows how to do the basics.

(08-30-2017, 09:21 PM)penew Wrote:  i honestly dont know what is the use of this character.though it was cool to see that bar sprite.

i got hyped from the word ''chain''.maybe combo's like moves.and got disappointed after trying him out.he doesnt fight like ''kill bill'' except the skin.

This character is special,but you get bored pretty easily due to less moves,i would like to see more of your's effort.

I'm not dignified about what you would expect from me. More importantly, read the descriptions on my thread carefully before you criticize what I'm doing.
Thanks given by:
To be fair, you did mention that this character is a
Quote:research
, alright. But that doesn't imply anything of what you say; that you don't want any feedback, and/or that you don't want any feedback on the character as a playable. Moreover, you continue to obfuscate your sentences like in "has a Kill Bill costume color override." instead of just "has a Kill Bill skin".

I don't also see why you would be doing tweaks on things like the moves' MP consumption if the character was really intended to be a minimal example of the system you described.

Even if you had actually written "This character is a demonstration on how to use a counter (specifically, only 1 counter) to alter properties of a character." in your introduction paragraph, I would still think the criticism by empirefantasy and penew are valid (and in my opinion, they were constructive).
[Image: signature.png]
A-Engine: A new beat em up game engine inspired by LF2. Coming soon

A-Engine Dev Blog - Update #8: Timeout

Thanks given by:
Would you really like, "I must make a template, and it sucks badly if I want to show you how this mechanism is done" to emphasize this character is not for a "real fight"?
Or, do you want to show your supremacy by "The author doesn't want to change this character because he claims this is complete, but it's not complete in many's opinion, so he is stubborn"?

What I insist in this character is, Killis is easy for modifying. Therefore I consider this as complete because it shows one and only one complete feature that can be replicated as easily as possible. The objective is clear, "Replicate". I also make sure I use the minimum time to create Killis.

If you think this character is a clickbait, my response is a simple "Hmph".
Yes, I actually inserted 2 systems into Killis. The hidden one is for basic attacks. There's a skin and Killis has an awfully lot number of moves.
(I expect someone interested in making a similar character would actively ask about this, although I tried to list when's needed in readme file)

Without any of these, it would not even be appealing to anyone outside of Data Changer group. This is a convenient way to attract other players into the group, and I think it's enjoyable, not some "harecore" things which we must concentrate on a product so much that we lose our senses.

Do you have enough idea how difficult is to implement either empirefantasy or penew's idea? Would it not dilute the core idea that the mechanism is already complex enough that not many of players can even replicate them?

I can put up a pretty long list on how either poster's idea would add up to the techs needed to make a character:
Definitely, I won't be bother to do all of these (and they vary very much and I cannot be good at most of these)

Damage detection
A samurai sword
MP detection
Redesigning existing moves or fully custom moveset including sprites, data and sounds

Needless to say, adding any of additional items will both complicate the data structure, add spriting time and more bugs.
It's my responsibility to clear out most of the fog if I'm developing a new function, not to mask them with more and more illusions.

If you want to criticize me on how I'm ambiguous on defining this character, not as complete or research or playable, you are the one that tries to classify things up to your desire. What's wrong to add a little fun on making a little character?
Thanks given by:
I don't want your response.

I just stated that I don't want your response, yet you responded. Please read my post before responding.

Well of course you'd respond because I didn't really write it until this very post, and you're not telepathic to know that I wouldn't want your response (and it's not that you would be obligated to not respond anyway). That's an example of what I'm seeing in your replies.

Quote:If you want to make a character that implements your idea, you can use the counter I provided in Killis and Counter Template, you SHOULD NOT ask me to make such a character because I stated this character shows how to do the basics.
Quote:I'm not dignified about what you would expect from me. More importantly, read the descriptions on my thread carefully before you criticize what I'm doing.

I simply responded saying that your original post wasn't clear about the purpose of the character, and I further pointed at some hints that implies that you actually *do* care about its gameplay.

The post is full of contradictions and future references.

Also,
Quote:Do you have enough idea how difficult is to implement either empirefantasy or penew's idea?
As a player, I wouldn't care as long as it's possible. Some people have put months or even years into character before, and there's no reason I'd be sure you wouldn't.

Either way, I can only insist that text is the only way to communicate here clearly. I have no idea of what you're thinking until you write it. Criticism is really valuable in this community (and in general), no matter how negative.

Quote:Would you really like, "I must make a template, and it sucks badly if I want to show you how this mechanism is done" to emphasize this character is not for a "real fight"?
I think there might be some typo in that. But yes, something like that would be perfect.
[Image: signature.png]
A-Engine: A new beat em up game engine inspired by LF2. Coming soon

A-Engine Dev Blog - Update #8: Timeout

Thanks given by:
There is a Counter Template I created later that may better suit your taste.
Thanks given by:
Just a note to everyone the character here is a Research character , the character uses rather complex DC and wpoint if I recall correctly from the posts in Discord .

Killis is not similar to Kill Bill, I guess people were confused because of the thread title , the Kill-Bill thing is supposed to just be a skin for Dennis.
Spoilered Spoilers (Click to View)

You're just dying if you're living and thinking about a betrayal, revive yourself.
Think about that one person that has trusted you forever, not the thousand people that have betrayed you.
Thanks given by: rewlf2