Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contest #22: Spriting challenge
YES. DCING CHALLENGE.
Extreme LOLs @ "TheNaive" lol
(03-20-2016, 06:41 PM)mfc Wrote:  Be the unsqueezable sponge!
My new life motto!
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2015, 05:16 PM)Rhino.Freak Wrote:  YES. DCING CHALLENGE.
Extreme LOLs @ "TheNaive" lol

Writing contest
Useful
Thanks given by:
In case any of you guys are interested here are my original large scale drawings for each sprite before i tampered with them.

Originals + Edited (Click to View)
A sequence of variables thatre engraved since the beginning of the cosmos is responsible for animating things in reality
Thanks given by: A-Man , Jahvansi , MangaD , Gespenst , Rhino.Freak , Bamboori
Some sprites of mine
[Image: gQak2ve.png]
Useful
Thanks given by: MangaD , A-Man , Jahvansi , STM1993 , Bamboori , MnM
That's too much detail loss in scaling down the sprites! Wouldn't it be better to just work on the original size (zoomed in maybe)?
[Image: signature.png]
A-Engine: A new beat em up game engine inspired by LF2. Coming soon

A-Engine Dev Blog - Update #8: Timeout

Thanks given by:
(12-07-2015, 08:09 PM)A-Man Wrote:  That's too much detail loss in scaling down the sprites! Wouldn't it be better to just work on the original size (zoomed in maybe)?

I personally dislike doing sub-pixel bashing (and using below-1px brushes sucks as well). Seems reasonable to work at bigger resolutions and later scale it down.
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by: A-Man
(12-07-2015, 08:20 PM)Blue Phoenix Wrote:  I personally dislike doing sub-pixel bashing (and using below-1px brushes sucks as well). Seems reasonable to work at bigger resolutions and later scale it down.

Though if the requirements of the sprite size are pretty low, then it is hard to manage to scale down bigger resolutions as scaled down pxs get clumped together and form a 'wrinkly' sprite.
Thanks given by:
speaking for myself I also made my sprites in 400%...

its just more comfortable imo.
Also its easier to get details look right if done properly... apart from that it's way more fun for me :)

EDIT:
Look at the alectric animation (duck) Luti made.
Looks like he simple rotated the whole body from the standing frame for the running animation.
thats only possible if u work big size and then scale down.
If u rotate in small size then it gets realy blury and looks bad.
Thanks given by: LutiChris , A-Man
congratz to winner luti and also to other guys too :)
I could participate with one sprite but I didn't coz I thought 5 sprites would be obligatory.

@DC racers
ok, there have been only once DC contest and very long time ago, even before I joined this forum. maybe they are not that interesting coz is hard and relative to judge. anyways willing to participate if it will ever happen :P
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2015, 10:14 PM)empirefantasy Wrote:  I could participate with one sprite but I didn't coz I thought 5 sprites would be obligatory.
It was noted clearly in the original post
Blue Phoenix Wrote:, you could also participate with less than 5 sprites, however, your chances to reach top rankings drop massively because you essentially forfeit some points.

I am not sure if DC is competitive at all. It's pretty straight forward, and the few tricks involved have been abused to death already.

I would love a contest that has to do with AI scripting, where one has his AI of a certain character fight in a tournament or something.

Anyway, let's leave this for BP to decide. The ideas of contests so far have never been lacking nor repetitive.

Quote:Looks like he simple rotated the whole body from the standing frame for the running animation.
thats only possible if u work big size and then scale down.
If u rotate in small size then it gets realy blury and looks bad.
I see. Though why not redraw it instead of rotating it? It does seem to be easy enough for you people. Plus, isn't it more correct to get the animation first on barebone sketches before going with the polishing and shading? Or was it just an issue of time or laziness?
[Image: signature.png]
A-Engine: A new beat em up game engine inspired by LF2. Coming soon

A-Engine Dev Blog - Update #8: Timeout

Thanks given by: