Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contest #22: Spriting challenge
The official LFE-contests are back! Now with increased awesomeness! Exclamation marks for good measure!

After a hiatus of over two years, we are finally going to launch a new round. As the title implies, it will be related to spriting! However, because a single sprite would be boring and we have all seen our fair share of those, we're going to add a little twist to it! Get hyped, for the topic is:

Multi-theme Sprites

Requirements:
  • 5 sprites are to be created; 1 for each of the following themes:
    1. Grunt* as a main character
      *Grunts are: Bandit, Hunter, Mark, Jack, Sorcerer, Monk, Jan, Knight, and Justin.
    2. Creature (i.e. something which does not exhibit humanly traits)
    3. Character from a video-game or an anime of your choice (please provide an image to compare how he/she originally looks)
    4. Female
    5. Character representing an LFE-member performing a special attack*
      *effects may be added, as long as the character-design is still easily visible
    As you can imagine, overlap between these topics is possible (e.g. a "Grunt to Main" of Jan would also fit under "Female"). In this case, you're free to choose in which category you wish to enter your sprite in; entering the same sprite in both is not possible because you are expected to create 5 sprites in total. Please also split each sprite into a separate file, so it will be easier for voting.
  • The voting will be a little different from normal. Each of the above themes will receive its own poll. The winner of a poll will receive N* points, the second will receive N-1 points, third gets N-2 points, and so on. The final winner is the one who accumulates the most points. In this way, you could also participate with less than 5 sprites, however, your chances to reach top rankings drop massively because you essentially forfeit some points. During the voting procedure, the poll results will remain hidden and only be revealed upon completion of the poll.
    * the number of points N will be determined by how many people enter the contest, after the submission-deadline.
  • Standard size (80x80 or 100x100) for the characters, the creature may be twice as large (up to 200x200). You may create larger sprites but they will be downscaled in the polls (and I'll do it the worst way possible, so better do it yourself :p)
  • Copy-pasted chars are accepted but original ones are preferred
  • Sprites may be animated but do not need to be
  • Post your entries in this thread, preferably all in one post, so I can later collect them more easily. If you wish to remain anonymous during submission- and voting-phase, you may as well send the entries to me via Private Message; I will then add your name after completion of the votings.
Submit your entries before Sunday, November 29th!!

Good luck to all participants :)
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
LETS DO THIS.
I am in.

[Image: nail-biting-gif.gif]
[Image: signature.png]
A-Engine: A new beat em up game engine inspired by LF2. Coming soon

A-Engine Dev Blog - Update #8: Timeout

Thanks given by: Rhino.Freak , Bamboori
YES. enough time! So I'll participate too! :p

Edit: what do you mean by "copy pasted characters"?
(03-20-2016, 06:41 PM)mfc Wrote:  Be the unsqueezable sponge!
My new life motto!
Thanks given by:
(10-17-2015, 01:14 PM)Blue Phoenix Wrote:  [*] Character from a video-game of your choice (please provide an image to compare how he/she originally
How about including anime characters in this?

Thanks given by:
(10-17-2015, 02:44 PM)Doctor A Wrote:  
(10-17-2015, 01:14 PM)Blue Phoenix Wrote:   
[*] Character from a video-game of your choice (please provide an image to compare how he/she originally
[*]
[*]

anime characters from video games? :)

ohhh, one punch man?

@Blue Phoenix, so, grunts are minion characters, right? And we must make them as a main characters? Like reimagening?
Useful
Thanks given by: Rhino.Freak
(10-17-2015, 03:25 PM)Sänger Wrote:  anime characters from video games? :)
That's a way to go around it, but that is also limiting it to the popular mainstream anime series which got games, which I believe is not what we want to see.

Quote:ohhh, one punch man?
Yes. There is no One Punch Man games out there, for example.

Thanks given by:
(10-17-2015, 02:38 PM)Rhino.Freak Wrote:  YES. enough time! So I'll participate too! :p

Edit: what do you mean by "copy pasted characters"?
Haha, I was hoping I wouldn't have to redo this again, considering that most of the old img-links are dead but okay... :p

Basically, you merge together parts of existing characters and possibly change their colors to create novel sprites. Something like in these examples:

(10-17-2015, 02:44 PM)Doctor A Wrote:  
(10-17-2015, 01:14 PM)Blue Phoenix Wrote:  [*] Character from a video-game of your choice (please provide an image to compare how he/she originally
That is actually a great idea, I'll expand that point a bit to include those as well! :)
Please note that I deliberately left out mangas or TV series. The field of anime is quite large already and should give you plenty of room to delve into ;)

(10-17-2015, 03:25 PM)Sänger Wrote:  @Blue Phoenix, so, grunts are minion characters, right? And we must make them as a main characters? Like reimagening?
Exactly! Imagine how, for example, Bandit would look like if he was a playable hero character such as Dennis or John.

Thanks given by:
Yay :D been waitting awhile for one of those !
                            LF Extended                              [Image: 2518290.gif][Image: e38dd1f.gif][Image: 533172c.gif] (click on the pic)                       Deviantart
                            Might be back, might be not :^) anyways awesome to see you guys again!
Thanks given by:
BP Wrote:2.Creature (i.e. something which does not exhibit humanly traits)
do furries count? animals that can stand up right and/or have an article of clothing like a hat/scarf or shirt
A sequence of variables thatre engraved since the beginning of the cosmos is responsible for animating things in reality
Thanks given by:
(10-18-2015, 07:43 PM)LutiChris Wrote:  
BP Wrote:2.Creature (i.e. something which does not exhibit humanly traits)
do furries count? animals that can stand up right and/or have an article of clothing like a hat/scarf or shirt

Up to you how you interpret it. Keep in mind that it'll be others who judge whether your sprite suits the theme or not. Also, as far as I can tell, standing up right is pretty darn close to being human-like.

Thanks given by: