Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Your very first LF2 steps
Well, post here the projects, or characters you made when you kinda knew NOTHING about DCing neither professional spriting.

My first project was some sort of bandit mod where every char got a cheap replacement of bandit. Then I found LFE and began slowly to understand what facing: injury: and mp: means. Then it all kinda got quick. The thingys with the frames was easy, and then I even figured out how to get the values of a certain area for a char.
Then I started with LFM

Now post your history :O
Thanks given by:
It was in 7th grade, a friend showed this Chinese game, called "Little Fighter 2". I immediately like playing it, although I really sucked at the stage mode :P
Anyways, a few weeks later, I "discovered" the sprite-folder, and its marvelous character sheets. Well, soon after I found out that these files are accessed by this game, I started modifying them. Well, if you have no real talent at computer graphics AND possess a $3 mouse, the result won't be very great. Anyways, the first character change was on template, all my friends understood the hidden joke, because we all had the same Latin teacher...

[Image: 4425Untitled-1.gif]

Well, I kinda messed around with the sprites, replaced and changed the graphics, but for a long time I asked myself how to open these dat-files. I thought, they were just chinese text, and my notepad can't display it. So, I started a google-offensive. And finally, I found it: the Data Changer!
Well, I didn't know anything of what I could do now, so I started messing around with everything I could imagine. It took me till the end of my 9th grade until I knew three basic keywords: oid, action, and facing (yes, I started with the opoints, and they're still my favorite part :) )
Well, later on, I discovered this website called "LF-Empire", and I liked that somebody really did that work and explained every keyword that occurs in the dat-files (I think, because we had dial-up at that time, I extracted everything relating to DC into a Document that is still on my computer so that I don't have to go online everytime)

So, within one month I learned pretty much everything about DCing, and after we got DSL, I registered in the forums that I've watched for such a long time...
I knew that sooner or later I'll want to create my own characters, so I started. I had this character, Zenobia, that I created from scratch, the Data as well as the sprites. I think, she's still overpowered (beginner's mistake :P), although she was, I don't know how often, remade. And that data is really a mess, I guess, I'll have to do more than just a small redo...

Right now, I don't do very much related to LF2, sometimes I feel like creating a new character for my own nameless mod but most of the time I'm a little more in retirement. I still like to play LF2, though :)

And my Template mod? I gave him some new attacks that are totally not Latin-related. Oh well, who cares?

gosh, that got a long essay, longer than I wanted it to be. To everybody who truly read down to here: congratulations!!!
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by:
Blue Phoenix Wrote:Well, later on, I discovered this website called "LF-Empire", and I liked that somebody really did that work and explained every keyword that occurs in the dat-files (I think, because we had dial-up at that time, I extracted everything relating to DC into a Document that is still on my computer so that I don't have to go online everytime)

And I hated that noone explained everything and so I wanted to be the one since I wasn't bad in DC - and I think it's still the reason why LFE got so succesful...

Blue Phoenix Wrote:gosh, that got a long essay, longer than I wanted it to be. To everybody who truly read down to here: congratulations!!!

I did: really interesting, like these stories...

Now to mine, will see, think it'll be longer, too (and waiting for Marshalls :p)

-------

Ok my first experience with LF2 was in school, too. Our school internet connection in sixth or seventh grade or so didnt work (not sure, a long time ago for me) and soon a game called Little FIghter 2 appeared. Actually later I realised it was 1.71 :p I liked playing it since I had to spend a lot of time in school and was kinda good in it. EVen if I found out about special attacks kinda late...
THen the internet worked again and the game was not interesting anymore - and it was deleted from the computers from admins...

Then a long time with nothing

Then one day maybe a year or even more later the internet didnt work again and soon another game called Little Fighter 2 came up again - the 1.9 version, liked palying it, was great and fought several other guys through school network and searched for new characters. FOund some on Cheat-Sites like cheats.de or so and added it but was disappointed, went on with searching and then found this site called Robotical World.
I studied several tuts there and already managed the basics. My first thread in the forums was about how to open the mainfile cause I wanted to edit some kind of source code and the first answer was I should use a data changer cause they thought I was a total-newb or so asking for basics :p - answer from handpoker was that I asked for something differetn, maybe the only time when handpoker was friendly :p
Well, posted there and started gaining knowledge about DC - I wanted to master every area and so I started with easiest - backgrounds. I analysed every tag since I didnt find any tut about this yet and could find out almost everything I think and made a tutorial about this. At this time I made my first background Easter Island and I corrected the colour Bug in 1.9 with StageBgMode.
While I mastered this I went on to stages, studied them the same way and wrote another tutorial, made random criminal...

Then I went on with attacks and character data, coded some more backgrounds, made my character UFO and was a very active member in RW community. Learned a lot from Great Data CHangers like BRad and DarkLord at this time. Then I also started creating my own website because I wanted to share the knowledge I had. 24th July 2004 was the date when the Official Homepage of MH-LF2 went online:
http://www.lf-empire.de/images/lfe_versi..._index.jpg
Kinda a flop, but it was my first try. Just read a html book before and did what I could :p TIme passed, I learned more, made some backgrounds, website was growing. Then one day I got the greatest compliment since I'm in LF2 "Business" from DarkLord - it was forum game where you have to tell something ab out the poster before you and he told:
"MH-LF2 is a data changer who has been catching up to my DC skills that I worry not to be the no 1 anymore!"
This was such an awesome day for me, cause DarkLord always the god of DC for me. But actually my website growed more and more, I spend days writing tutorials and searching for webhosts who were good enough for my website, cause the visitor comfort way most important for me. I couldn't accept if a user was conrontaded with endless popups and so. First january 2005 I opened Little Fighter - EMPIRE, well, it was nothing more then a name - had the choice between LFE and Little FIghter Universe, but empire simply sounded better and I just found on crappy site who already had this name :p. I worried that they'll claim this as "their" name, now other sites with this name get
bad rep, lol.
Whatever, I spend more and more time working on my website, found Evil SOnidow as helper for some work, but had less time for coding. Other DCers rised, expecially YinYin in english network, Mgccl where you never knowed how good he is, and surely Windmill, but I guess he's a total freak since he finds out stuff like this :p (well, still an god-like coder).
Then someday Robotical World crashed and since this was not first time I decided not to join again, just joined the officials and cared about my website, was enough for me. Also decided to give own forums a try, but the first try was really bad, got a few users after a month or so, not active at all. Wanted to stop it but ethix was the one who motivated me to give the thing a second chance. Well, thanks ethix...

Well, after Windmill published his GJP LF2 I decided to show I've still skills in DC and started Kingdom LF2 and Targaros - Targaros took over two years, Kingdom LF2 will probably never be finished. I think of what I should make with first stage since it was a lot of work... But actually I realised I never feel like coding full projects. I like it a lot more to think of complex problems and solve them. Itr/kind 8 helps me in most of the cases :p

Now the status quo: LF2 changed my live. During army I could stand up in the morning and think - hey, everything is sh*t here, but you've a great website which helps a lot people all over in the world to have fun, that's cool is it? So do your job here :p
ANd since I always fixed on quality a lot I didn't end up like reality desu did - a spammer place in my opinion, sure more members, more activity, more downloads, but lower quality. ONce I downloaded 50 characters and submitted two to LFE, but had to test all... :p

Whatever, that's my lil story, maybe I'm a bit off-topic, but might still interest some guys. Would suggest to sticky this thread anyways - if more people answer here it could be really interesting. Especially if Marshall replys here - think he have longest LF2 Story from us all ;)

(and actually at the end of this article I realise I could write a lot more, but dont do it since I doubt anybody will read even this here :p)

You're so wrong, I read it through :p ~BlPh
[Image: random.php?pic=random]
www.lf-empire.de
Once I had a fortune, it said: "Leave now. Life is short. Time is luck"
Don't dream your life, live your dream!
Thanks given by: mfc
Blue Phoenix Wrote:(and actually at the end of this article I realise I could write a lot more, but dont do it since I doubt anybody will read even this here :p)

I read it, and I want to know more!

Right now, I'm 12 years old. I first got into LF2 when my friends where talking about the demo, but they didn't know much;). It was conversations about it like: Bandits only special move is a kick. Thats pretty cool. At that point, I was 8 I think. When I discovered the 1.9 version, I began to play it myself. My favorite char was louis, because he can use that green lazer punch, I couldn't use inputs:D. They where to hard to remember I thought.

So anyway, I played it for a year, dropped it, began playing it again and so onShock - until I was 11. Our computer crashed:( so dad had to reinstall it, and I had to download LF2 again. Then I downloaded the LF2 v 1.9c and the guide for all LF2 character moves. There, I read that you can edit template into an own char. I thought: COOL!:8 I'm gonna make a purple template using paint!!! He should be able to use alot of special moves!!
That was my first step in spriting. I made the standing frames to the first attack frame, then I dropped it. I continued to train using paint, by making single sprites. Then, I once saw the movie on youtube called: R-LF2 HELL MOVES!!! I thought: Awesome!Shock I want that. When I was searching, I was 12 as now. I found a website call Little Fighter - EMPIRE and downloaded my first char, YinYin's bandit:p, and I also downloaded PhotoFiltre. Then, I found the forum, joined it - and now I'm standing here, beginning to rise:D

TITLE: a idea
make cave for bear?
Thanks given by:
Gawd, my history is so short. Makes me feel like a n00b compared to your endless long history.

Maybe because I had the luck to find LF2 when LFE already existed.
Thanks given by: mfc
ill make it short:
my very first work: http://www.mediafire.com/download/bfcgic...mplate.zip
quick - cover your eyes! :D

~MH-Razen~ Wrote:Ok my first experience with LF2 was in school, too.
same - mustve been about 6 years ago
we had to call any executable mplayer2.exe on our school network to play it (executing exe files was actually prohibited) - dont know why windows2000 allows that
~MH-Razen~ Wrote:went on with searching and then found this site called Robotical World.
I studied several tuts there and already managed the basics.
- answer from handpoker was that I asked for something differetn, maybe the only time when handpoker was friendly :p
funny - i found lf4world first - and then got to RW - and i skipped all those tutorials cause the first one i found was 50% wrong - pissed me off
~MH-Razen~ Wrote:Then someday Robotical World crashed and since this was not first time I decided not to join again, just joined the officials  and cared about my website, was enough for me. ANd since I always fixed on quality a lot I didn't end up like reality desu did - a spammer place in my opinion, sure more members, more activity, more downloads, but lower quality.
well im getting free hosting from robo so thats why im still there :d
also if it wasnt for him i wouldn be here - same for you, mind that
~MH-Razen~ Wrote:Targaros took over two years
wut?!
~MH-Razen~ Wrote:(and actually at the end of this article I realise I could write a lot more, but dont do it since I doubt anybody will read even this here :p)
have more faith in us man - if you do, just structure it better
Thanks given by:
YinYin Wrote:wut?!

About the Character:
Actually this a very old project of mine - I started with
the sprites three years ago, after one year or so I finished
the sprites but didn't feel like coding, then last year I
started coding but had a lot of breaks - now in April 2007
I could also finish the data of Targaros.
Like LouisEX, Targaros fight with his Spear - but he has a
lot more possibilities. That makes him harder to control,
but if you learn them you have lots of chances to make
lots of damage in a short time.

My fault, it was three years :p

YinYin Wrote:have more faith in us man - if you do, just structure it better

Ok I think about it, but maybe I shouldn't write at 4am in the night again.l...
[Image: random.php?pic=random]
www.lf-empire.de
Once I had a fortune, it said: "Leave now. Life is short. Time is luck"
Don't dream your life, live your dream!
Thanks given by:
I first found it on a cd from a computer-magazine, but it didn´t work back then, so i frogot about it and a year later, a friend of mine found LF2 on the web and then we played it at his place. I later got an own computer and then i downloaded LF2 and started play.
About one month later did i discover that you could make new characters to this amazing game. so i modified template into Emerl (From sonic battle) with the original sprites from soonic battle. It didn´t work out so i trashed the whole project. Then i worket on the first G-type, G01-"T". Then i worked on more projects and here i am!
| Metaknight | G-types | Bottle Skinz | Companion Cube | Art Gallery |
"Do not grieve, it is logical. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."
- Mr. Spock
"A man's not dead while his name is still spoken"
- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal
Thanks given by:
~MH-Razen~ Wrote:(and waiting for Marshalls :p)
You know me so well, MH... Knowing that topic titles such as this would attract me lawl
I'll be brief, because I am still making a poster for the orchestra...
-----------------------------------------------------------------
okay... I started playing LF2 when I was in my first year in secondary school. At that time, I was a boarder at school, so I had quite a lot of free time after school and one of the activities was to go to the computer room to play random computer games. LF at that time was pretty popular, though I hvn't really played it, then one of my classmates told me abt LF2 when I was sitting next to him in the computer room, so I downloaded it (under his instructions) and got addicted to it. That was 8 years ago... Later on, I got all my fellow boarders to play the game as well, and it was all F6 spam and no such thing as stage mode existed. Anyways, I kinda stopped playing it until my friend told me abt LouisEX, which I got bored after a while (but initially I was like ZOMG AWESOMENESS!!11). The same applies to Firzen, but when I heard abt Firzen, 1.91 was almost out, so I waited patiently for it. Due to my habit of F6, I am (still) a helpless fighter, so passing stage mode in difficult was impossible, thus Bat, Justin, Julian and Co. were elusive till one of the fan sites instructed me to rename Julian.dat to Template.dat XD From those sites, I also played around with the so-called "data-changing", such as renaming john_biscuit.dat to firen_flame or renaming john_ball.dat to henry_arrow.dat

Later on, I got bored again and clicked on the forum hyperlink on the official site. It was the first (or second, I forgot, because at some point there was a class one) ever forum I have joined. That is how I discovered that "new" characters existed such as DeepEX, Freeze-X- etc At that time, it was already the old phpBB forums rather than ezboard and I have already missed out quite a bit. It was (still am) a computer illiterate and I didn't know how to make the forum display the Chinese characters instead of messed up symbols :P Finally, I got some help with that, but I still ranted on in English in the Chinese forums since I didn't know how to type Chinese and remained mostly silent in the English channel because not much took my fancy, until HC released Sharpe :P So I was a bit of a weirdo in the old phpBB forums, but because of that ppl remembered me.

My behaviour was every inch an earnest rookie admiring everyone's sprite edits and data changing skills w/o learning a thing myself. Eventually, I had so much downloaded characters and backgrounds I decided to make a site dedicated to downloads, just like Do's old site which hadn't been updated since I discovered it. I combined all the downloads which I thought were the best/most creative (at the time) and hosted the site from my own computer. LF2 Unlimited was born. It was aimed at being the heaven for modded characters/BGs/weapons/skins, and later, whole mods (at that time, mods were still a relatively new concept) while giving the correct credits which original authors deserve. In the process of making this site, I became good friends with a number of the best modders of the day, including Sam2003, Mike Liu, HC, KobeIp, LokLok and QQQ etc

In mid 2003, the old phpBB was attacked by 777 and players of LF2 have lost a common cyber space to hand out. I still went to LFFusion, but it sank (either server or domain problems?) pretty soon afterwards. My site was in the meantime getting bigger and more popular by the day due to almost daily updates. Of course, the network of contacts that I have established enabled me to get the most up-to-date creations, so eventually it became the official hosting space for LF2 Mega. At the same time, my comp got infected by the blaster worm virus and all my data was wiped clean. I gave up on my site and decided to quit LF2. Till that day, I haven't released anything at all other than some collaboration single-layered BGs

Two years later in early 2006, I had a dream about LF2 and me combining everything into one mod. I went to the official site again and found out that it had a completely new layout. Last but not least, a new forum has been set up. It looked like an awful mess with Mgccl (I didn't know him back then) running rouge, but I did see "Havoc_creator" and Sam2003, which was enough to get me to re-register =)

After getting a grasp of the general situation of the "new" forum and it's members, I became comfortable hanging around the forums again and decided to venture into DC as well. During the period, I did a small project of remaking frozen's Electro, which was mildly successful. Later on, a (big) conflict concerning Mgccl as a person and who should moderate the forums broke out with me emerging as the winner, though I have to admit there wasn't much competition anyway and I had the backing of HC and Dark Lord. The Chinese section in the meatime was totally not involved because it was still extremely un-active.

After being entrusted the responsibility, I finally got the chance to contact with Marti directly. I also had plenty of free time at hand, so I worked hard in driving old ppl from old contyacts and new users alike to enliven the Chinese section, while working on a dream inspired project entitled CE LF2. Reviving the forum has been rather successful and now we have quite a diversified range of active users from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan which I am the most proud of during my time as moderator and later, admin. While working on CE LF2 (CE are acronyms for combined effort), I learnt quite a lot on data changing and at some point, was pretty on top of it (i think XP). However, the long process of creating what I can visualise and my bad skills diverted me into making backgrounds, which are in many occassions, quicker to make.

Throughout my time as admin in the official forums, I became affiliated with MH, Sinow, nesnoodle (aka tan00ki, Shanghai and Cirno), which ultimately led to me being part of the LFE site owners. Other than strengthing the old ties with HC and forraska, I made some really good friends other than the afore mentioned LFE team. ES, Travois, Mugen, Apo, Silva, Felix, Silva, Yinyin, Azriel, scribbz, xFire, Vermouth and Mystic Purple are all somehow interwoven into my real life.

In October 2008, I officially resigned my post as administrator of the official LF2 forums due to private reasons including academic and career related reasons. My impact on the community would hv probably diminished on an exponential scale had it not been Marti asked me to keep the title of being administrator. My inactivity of late has caused me to fall very far behind LF2 modifications and HEX editing, for 2.0 in particular.

Looking back, I conclude that my biggest success as admin was maintaining the harmony within the forum and manage to control disputes among different fractions of the community. I can also claim that I have revived the forum (whether directly or indirectly) and pushed it to new heights, no matter in terms of sprites, data changing, fighting skills and a place to share ideas and feelings in genral. My failure is my "dream" of being able to help out in every situation whenever Chinese and English translation is required. I think YinYin feels ignored sometimes, so apologies on that. Tutorials and guides are not completed... Ultimately, not being able to hang onto the post of moderator for a longer period of time.
------------------------------------------------------------------
There have been requests... I've reread what I've written and realised that what I've written was pretty concise. Anyway, I'll expand a little and hopefully won't bore too many people...

Learning DC has always been a challenge for me, particularly when I initially associated with coding the actual game engine (messing around with C++). I tried various tutorials before and failed miserably, including Chinese sites, the one by MSSJSG and later, LFE, pretty much the tutorial widely recognised as the most comprehensive yet easiest to understand LF2 data changing guide. At this point, I would like to claim to have "never gave up", but that's more like wishful thinking. I did give up and it probably partially contributed to my first hiatus.

Obviously I came back and with a new mindset - copying moves + I'm-older-hence-have-better-understanding. It only half worked, because I still didn't understand what I was doing really and was more like trying my luck, until... One day, I stumbled across Windmill (aka Slipper)'s tutorial. I've forgotten how old he is, but definitely older than me and has finished serving the army in Taiwan at least two years ago. I have already heard about this bloke from Mgccl who seemed to praise him to sky high. To be honest, in terms of DCing skills he is a bit overrated (or did I overreact to Mgccl's propaganda? lol). Till this day, comparing the YinYin, MH, Jerry Hawk and Sinow of that era, I don't see any of these four are any less than him (yeah, I think Dark Lord was slipping already, earlier I'm not sure while Azriel, BP and Lauli comes later). However, I have to mention him because he successfully brought DC to the masses, just like LFE, but via another language and I was among those who benefited. Don't forget him, folks... The English board won't be the same without him. I can almost feel the rivalry flare up from my computer screen reading posts from MH. Had it not been him, I doubt the third wave of DC would not have developed so quickly.

Again... even with near handicap aid I had a long way to go. Just saying, practical DC-ing rather than theory-ing was the best way to glue everything together. Yeah... this is meant to be a message to the fence sitters out there, if there are still any at this point.

By the time I actually knew what I was doing, it was too late already. The only thing that resembles anything presentable was my remake of Loklok and KobeIp's Adeen. Till now I always regret my learning speed as CE LF2 is still not what I envisioned and when I knew how to achieve a reasonable level of that, my commitments where getting overwhelming and HEX was suddenly dawning on everyone with new possibilities. To a certain extent, I was probably too "old fashioned" and cannot be bothered to think how to embrace the new trend and use these new tools. A temporary switch to Background productions was made, which I can almost claim to be successful because of my partnership with Mugen and the lack of quality backgrounds available. So when I dominated in that niche, it was also the start of my... shall I say demise?

Well... It's been quite a while since I last visited a LF2 forum. LFE has changed quite a bit, with the new mods and stuff, so it's good to see new blood still pumping. Maybe I'll release a background or two, but in the mean time, keep going, folks!
you don't want to see this (Click to View)
the other by xFire
Thanks given by: Dr. Time
lol, I wanna see the long version :P

I remember, that for quite a long time I just switched id's to create new attacks (which was kinda cheap, I know), and the forum I started posting in has so many... well... let's call them... poor educated DCers, so it wasn't a really good information source.

Later on, when I registered at LFE, I actually had already a rough basic knowledge, and if I remember right, my first forum posts were in the DC-category. At that point in time, I didn't even bother to read the adv DC techniques, since I still didn't really understand, how the area-values work :P
When I finally registered with the account #669 (or my self-declared problem account) on May 10th, 2007, I tried to help other new DCers to gain some knowledge while I still studied the DC material. One day, I got my first compliment from an admin, yes, it was you, Marshall! You told me that I already know my stuff pretty good, and that gave me even more eager to learn everything about DCing :D
At that point in time, MH and Sinow were just two admins very far away from me, I guess I wasn't really noticed by them until I broke the 1000 posts-limit^^

At the moment, I'm looking for my first post that I made in the forums, by now I just found some threads, in which I, Lauli, and YinYin (at that time, just registered members^^) discuss on how to Story Stages :P
It'd be nice to see what you posted first...
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by: