Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LF-Empire Client
@Silverthorn thank you very much for you feedback!

fixed:
- shortcut on the desktop also when unselected
- path-bug
- html code stuff to plain text
- state 8000 when id changed (thx at Stm93 for the note)

add:
- uninstaller (to lazy to write him until to this time)
- warning (more xD): when the new wish "mod" needs a id property which exists already

Silverthorn Wrote:[question] How are installations handled when two characters have equally named files?...
That predicted by Gad. I check the filename and will rename this in the data file (like the oid s)

Silverthorn Wrote:[feature req] parse HTML entities.
Only:
Luigi600 Wrote:- forgotten: html code to plain text, like...
:P but now

Silverthorn Wrote:[feature req] Handle ID clashes. During installation of the character, warn that the ID is already existing in data.txt. If there are multiple files from different downloads that point to the same oid:, refactor them. Keep a list of IDs that have hardcoded properties and warn if an installed, refactored file would be affected.
Good idea! Thanks at Ramond for the link to the thread of STM's Random DC tidbits.

Silverthorn Wrote:[feature req] Do a loading screen animation thingy when the program starts up instead of a lockup during initial bootup.
It is not added because then i must to write the loader new because then i need a thread for that and .Net + Thread + GUI = :(

And to delete of "mods"... I want to add this in the new version of Easier LF-Editor because he reads all informations so he knows all. And it is one reason more to download him ;)
This client was a just for fun project and i would not have thought that he gets a lot of views. And that one of the admins has write a reply.
Okay perhaps when i have time and fun, i write this function..

Silverthorn Wrote:Gameplay works nicely, though. Good work so far!
Thank you!
Thanks given by:
I need again a break of Easier LF-Editor. Here comes LF-Empire Client v1.2!

Quick changes:
- completely new GUI
- progress bar shows a progress and the GUI will not freeze (WTF! O.o xD)
- lists work again
- it is possible to import in LF2 "none empire downloads" (download something on another page and installing it with this client)
- uninstall of MODS! (included theirs concatenation; perhaps not perfect)
- - security measure: can not delete wav files between 0-102, also data files with id 300, 998, 999
- he will keep the structure of data file (i hope :D)

Short Downloadlink:
Orangedox (Google Drive API)
Condition: .NET Framework 4.5.1
Thanks given by:
Maybe just maybe if people stopped creating insallers for their 3 MB standalone apps then we could talk. Maybe.
Ultimately, my constant dissatisfaction with the way things are becomes the driving force behind everything I do.
[Image: sigline.png]
LF2 IDE - Advanced visual data changer featuring instant data loader
LF2 Sprite Sheet Generator - Template based sprite sheet generator based on Gad's method
There is no perfect language, but C++ is the worst.
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2018, 05:36 AM)Nightmarex1337 Wrote:  Maybe just maybe if people stopped creating insallers for their 3 MB standalone apps then we could talk. Maybe.

The installer has a size of 30 MB. Justifiably.
First: this version needs 4 libraries, so it is not a standalone app.
Second: the installer has this size, because I want not overload the servers of LFE. That is a safety measure.

I can understand you with your criticism, but I will not explain how an user install the client with 4 libraries + about 25 MB appData files and I want not be the reason, why LFE will close.
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2018, 10:22 AM)Luigi600 Wrote:  The installer has a size of 30 MB. Justifiably.
No. Actually this is worse. You managed to make download size even bigger by creating an installer. Great job.
Btw don't attempt to code your own installer because well.. Just don't.

(09-07-2018, 10:22 AM)Luigi600 Wrote:  First: this version needs 4 libraries, so it is not a standalone app.
Also no.

(09-07-2018, 10:22 AM)Luigi600 Wrote:  Second: the installer has this size, because I want not overload the servers of LFE. That is a safety measure.
Nonsense.

(09-07-2018, 10:22 AM)Luigi600 Wrote:  I can understand you with your criticism, but I will not explain how an user install the client with 4 libraries + about 25 MB appData files and I want not be the reason, why LFE will close.
Packing web pages into your installer is a stupid solution to a nonexistent problem.

You should really understand this basic thing: Just because your application pulls data from LFE is not something that can be a problem enough to get LFE closed or anything like that.
Ultimately, my constant dissatisfaction with the way things are becomes the driving force behind everything I do.
LF2 Sprite Sheet Generator - Template based sprite sheet generator based on Gad's method
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2018, 09:53 PM)Nightmarex1337 Wrote:  No. Actually this is worse. You managed to make download size even bigger by creating an installer. Great job.
Btw don't attempt to code your own installer because well.. Just don't.
The size is not "bigger" because else the client must download the html files (he can it). So the user MUST download 30 MB. It is not important to which time.

(09-07-2018, 09:53 PM)Nightmarex1337 Wrote:  Also no.
Just one link for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standalone_software
"Software that is not a part of some bundled software"

(09-07-2018, 09:53 PM)Nightmarex1337 Wrote:  Nonsense.
(09-07-2018, 09:53 PM)Nightmarex1337 Wrote:  Packing web pages into your installer is a stupid solution to a nonexistent problem.
(09-07-2018, 09:53 PM)Nightmarex1337 Wrote:  that can be a problem enough to get LFE closed or anything like that.
The LFE closing was an exaggeration. But okay lets calculating:
The client has 350+ downloads.
When each user must download 30 MB HTML sites:
350 * 30 = 10500 MB (=10,25 GB)
now I take that each user has 4 downloads (somepeople none, other people 10 what ever)
One download has a size of 1.236 MB, generally speaking.
Each user downloading 4,94 MB
350 * 4,94 = 1730 MB (= 1,7 GB)

I don't have any idea about download traffic pact from LFE server. But 10 GB are borderline for cheap services. Okay yes LFE must reckon with this, but on the other hand i think that people download more with the client, because it is faster.
EDIT: of course it is not each month 10GB download traffic with this client.

And in the end:
(09-07-2018, 09:53 PM)Nightmarex1337 Wrote:  Btw don't attempt to code your own installer because well.. Just don't.
We are both not native speakers in english, but what you want say? That I don't should create a client? Furthermore, the client is more as html sites downloader + parser. He can install and uninstall mods. Please deal with my client except superficial.

Also nice from you, that you omit the problem with manual installation. But i know that you will contra now, because... (read that)
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2018, 10:32 PM)Luigi600 Wrote:  The size is not "bigger" because else the client must download the html files (he can it). So the user MUST download 30 MB. It is not important to which time.
What? Your client takes 3.36 MB when installed and html files take 14.5 MB. Where does 15+ MB come from? Why the installer is 33.5 MB?

(09-07-2018, 10:32 PM)Luigi600 Wrote:  Just one link for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standalone_software
"Software that is not a part of some bundled software"
So? Your application is NOT part of other software, it functions on it's own. Pointing people to a wiki without understanding what you're talking about doesn't make you right.

(09-07-2018, 10:32 PM)Luigi600 Wrote:  The LFE closing was an exaggeration. But okay lets calculating:
The client has 350+ downloads.
When each user must download 30 MB HTML sites:
350 * 30 = 10500 MB (=10,25 GB)
now I take that each user has 4 downloads (somepeople none, other people 10 what ever)
One download has a size of 1.236 MB, generally speaking.
Each user downloading 4,94 MB
350 * 4,94 = 1730 MB (= 1,7 GB)

I don't have any idea about download traffic pact from LFE server. But 10 GB are borderline for cheap services. Okay yes LFE must reckon with this, but on the other hand i think that people download more with the client, because it is faster.
EDIT: of course it is not each month 10GB download traffic with this client.
Okay. There few things you need to clarify here. 350 downloads since when? You released this app like 1 year ago and if you count all those downloads from the beginning: ~12 GB data traffic for one year? That's not even remotely high. You don't seem to know how much traffic LFE used get back when it was popular years ago.

(09-07-2018, 10:32 PM)Luigi600 Wrote:  We are both not native speakers in english, but what you want say? That I don't should create a client? Furthermore, the client is more as html sites downloader + parser. He can install and uninstall mods. Please deal with my client except superficial.

Also nice from you, that you omit the problem with manual installation. But i know that you will contra now, because... (read that)
When I say don't code your own installer I mean the "Insaller.exe". You shall not do such thing as coding your own installer/setup unless you know what you're doing. Seriously. If you desperately need one, use an existing tool that does the right thing. (NSIS, Inno Setup, WiX...)

ALRIGHT. Let's say you want to bundle html files anyway because.. Why not? You think this will make things better and that's fine. You don't need to put them into AppData/Local. There is no point in separating them just like there is no point in creating an installer. The proper thing to do would be to put 'items' folder near 'LF-Empire Client.exe' and then make the program use it that way. Here comes the important part: YOU NEED TO COMPRESS YOUR APP. Those html files shrink to **135 KB** when compressed with 7zip. I'm not joking. Your download could be around ~1.44 MB total but it's 33.5 MB. Literally all you have to do is put your html, exe and dll files in one folder and compress them. That's it. No need to waste time creating installer (and uninstaller).

We can't get anywhere if you don't change your attitude.
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2018, 11:57 AM)Nightmarex1337 Wrote:  What? Your client takes 3.36 MB when installed and html files take 14.5 MB. Where does 15+ MB come from? Why the installer is 33.5 MB?
Okay the size is wrong. Client + Library need 5.49 MB + 14.5 MB. Although I thought that the sites have a size about 25MB - I apologize me for that and thank you for your report wrong display size.
The +15 MB are me not noticed. I have a lot of projects. I wanted finish fast with this project. I focus on Easier LF-Editor so that he is a "good software".

(09-08-2018, 11:57 AM)Nightmarex1337 Wrote:  350 downloads since when? You released this app like 1 year ago and if you count all those downloads from the beginning: ~12 GB data traffic for one year?
Yes right. The aspect of DDoS protection is also to named. 362 HTML Files + 362 download windows sites (to get the download link) are 724 access in few seconds. Not each hoster like that.

(09-08-2018, 11:57 AM)Nightmarex1337 Wrote:  You shall not do such thing as coding your own installer/setup unless you know what you're doing. Seriously. If you desperately need one, use an existing tool that does the right thing. (NSIS, Inno Setup, WiX...)
I don't like fall back to frameworks etc (except .NET-Framework) but double size is not okay. I agree to you with this aspect.

(09-08-2018, 11:57 AM)Nightmarex1337 Wrote:  You don't need to put them into AppData/Local.
And that is wrong. Do you ask itself why the installer needs admin rights? The reason is that windows is stupid. The programm files folder need admin rights. If I have an application with few files (like that here), than I want put it in programm files. Each month, the client search at new downloads. The client needs write-access to "items". If I not using appData then you must start the client everytime with admin rights or i must write an extern program and that must start with admin rights. Also the "last directory" file must create. It is obvious for me that I save all program data in appData.

(09-08-2018, 11:57 AM)Nightmarex1337 Wrote:  YOU NEED TO COMPRESS YOUR APP.
YES I UNDERSTAND YOU

The point with standalone app i can accept not still.

----------------------- EDIT -------------------------------------
HTML files shorter, Installer compressed.
Now 8.5 MB. Still to large but better.
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2018, 01:13 PM)Luigi600 Wrote:  The aspect of DDoS protection is also to named. 362 HTML Files + 362 download windows sites (to get the download link) are 724 access in few seconds. Not each hoster like that.
Fair point.

(09-08-2018, 01:13 PM)Luigi600 Wrote:  I don't like fall back to frameworks etc (except .NET-Framework) but double size is not okay. I agree to you with this aspect.
PLEASE. I'm trying to help. Your installer can't even create a working shortcut link and the uninstaller just throws an exception trying to delete itself. When people use existing tools it's not because they are fools.

(09-08-2018, 01:13 PM)Luigi600 Wrote:  And that is wrong. Do you ask itself why the installer needs admin rights? The reason is that windows is stupid. The programm files folder need admin rights. If I have an application with few files (like that here), than I want put it in programm files. Each month, the client search at new downloads. The client needs write-access to "items". If I not using appData then you must start the client everytime with admin rights or i must write an extern program and that must start with admin rights. Also the "last directory" file must create. It is obvious for me that I save all program data in appData.
Not really. People don't tend to extract files into "Program Files". Even if you wanned make sure it works inside that folder you could simply just check if AppData/Local/items exists and if it's not you just use the one near the exe. Then you just put newly downloaded updates inside AppData and magically everything works.

(09-08-2018, 01:13 PM)Luigi600 Wrote:  The point with standalone app i can accept not still.
Time will show.
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2018, 07:52 PM)Nightmarex1337 Wrote:  PLEASE. I'm trying to help. Your installer can't even create a working shortcut link and the uninstaller just throws an exception trying to delete itself. When people use existing tools it's not because they are fools.
Shortcut works fine.
When people want use an installer? Nobody has fun to read a readme file to install something (when I not change my opinion to HTML sites).
The uninstaller problem: alright - i know it now.

(09-08-2018, 07:52 PM)Nightmarex1337 Wrote:  Not really. People don't tend to extract files into "Program Files". Even if you wanned make sure it works inside that folder you could simply just check if AppData/Local/items exists and if it's not you just use the one near the exe. Then you just put newly downloaded updates inside AppData and magically everything works.
I think it is stupid to work with two folders. Else i must check, if i have write access. You work with C#, right?. I searched few years ago about "check access" and found only "try catch statement + try to create a file/folder...". This point I can check again.
Thanks given by: