Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Posture
I was researching a bit on "how to fix posture" and i found many different articles with different ways of doing it...

I am curious, Did anyone of you have some kind of problem with posture and how did you solve it? I want to find proper way of doing it.. maybe someone of you guys can help me. :)
Thanks given by:
I have poor posture. to this day i have not solved it. however i had an inspiring dream. keep an alarm by your computer. let it go off every 30 minutes. check to see if you're hunching. straighten your back. if you notice that your knee is twitching and bouncing up and down, it's probably a sign of bad posture. If you're writing homework in a relaxed position, look around, you're probably hunching. if you're taking a test, statistics say it's 90% certain that you may be hunching. look around! if you're looking down at your lap for long periods of time. guess what? you're hunched! grab a straight ruler, have it placed up against your back vertically and duct tape it. don't use scotch tape, you may find it difficult to take it off later. Sit down in a chair and hold your breath for 10 seconds. look around. if you find yourself uncomfortably up right like you're supposed to then that's great. the trick is working. your body is adjusting to the strange new ways of post-ure-fu. now the next step is tricky. Try to keep it on for the next 6 months. over time your body will get used to it. Never take it off under any circumstances. Unless ofc the tape is too tight, preventing you from breathing. cut the tape with some dull pliers and start all over. take it in the shower with you, while you go to sleep, and while you're jogging. Maybe you can pick up chicks with your new trusty ruler. It will dazzle critics and you may even star in your very own magazine or tv show. But wait that's not all. You will also get another wooden ruler for your dog or your mum. Just call this number and we'll ship it them both to you for the low price of $39.99. Call now and receive a pamphlet describing the latest ways to buy more of our good line of products. callers are standing by. what are you waiting for? Post-URE-FU is the Answer to your problems. Side effect may include fatigue, nausea, heart failure, kidney rupture, thoughts of suicide, depression, diarrhea, vomiting, hallucinations, pregnancy, cancer, rabies, and back problems. Ask your doctor if post-ure-fu is right for you. I never knew that one ruler could make me feel like I rule!
A sequence of variables thatre engraved since the beginning of the cosmos is responsible for animating things in reality
Thanks given by: Bamboori
I can help you. I actually wrote a long article about exactly this subject for our country's biggest fitnesswebsite. Unfortunately it is in Dutch

We can have a chat on IRC, facebook or I can spam this topic with Q&A if you like
Original character edits
Goku2021
LF2 Timelapse (open source mod)

Thanks given by:
(07-03-2015, 05:08 AM)Memento Wrote:  I can help you. I actually wrote a long article about exactly this subject for our country's biggest fitnesswebsite. Unfortunately it is in Dutch

We can have a chat on IRC, facebook or I can spam this topic with Q&A if you like

You don't you try to "translate" and post it here? I'm sort of interested in it too
(03-20-2016, 06:41 PM)mfc Wrote:  Be the unsqueezable sponge!
My new life motto!
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2015, 07:14 AM)Rhino.Freak Wrote:  
(07-03-2015, 05:08 AM)Memento Wrote:  I can help you. I actually wrote
[quote='Rhino.Freak' pid='196219' dateline='1435907668']
[quote='Memento' pid='196218' dateline='1435900084']
I can help you. I actually wrote a long article about exactly this subject for our country's biggest fitnesswebsite. Unfortunately it is in Dutch

You don't you try to "translate" and post it here? I'm sort of interested in it too

I will do that one of these days :) I don't have time right now

For now, you can try if google translate does the trick

https://www.fitness-tips.nl/fitnessbless...verbeteren

Language is Dutch
Original character edits
Goku2021

Thanks given by: empirefantasy , Marko , A-Man
Nice content, but I have more specific problem, with scapula. They are convex a bit. I read that it can be fixed with pull ups... is that true?
Thanks given by:
Where did you read this? I would say pull-ups could work if you have a bent upper back for example (thoracic kyphosis posture), but it really depends on the cause of the problem... It can be anatomical, but it usually isn't the problem. The problem is usually in the way people live: sitting for hours, too little movement etc. The body can adapt to what you're doing pretty good, meaning that if you train for strenght, you can easily get pretty strong and muscular, while sitting in your chair for most days and not moving causes your body to adapt to that specific posture (shortening the muscles in the front of your hip due to the sustained 90 degrees flexion that you have while you sit, etc).

Keep in mind that there's several diffirent reasons why posture can be bad.
- postural adaptation, which I described before. This is due to shortening of muscles that are always in a shortened position and lengthening of the stretched muscles and ligaments. This is what the article is about mostly.

Along with this, there's also little control of the deeper muscles that stabilize the spine.

Other causes:
- joints that are locked, limiting motion and causing pain
- anatomical variations limiting motion / causing pain
- some pathologies and nerve damage, but you'd probably visit a health care professional if this is the problem, as it can cause big problems.

What's interesting about the adaptation of your body: once one part of your body adapts, changes will appear in your whole body. This is why a very hollow lower back also causes a forward head posture
[Image: 20131017-231557.jpg]

Anyway, if you want me to answer specific questions: the easiest way for me to help any of you is by sharing a few pictures of yourself in your normal, fairly relaxed posture. One taken from the side, one from the front and one from the back. That way I can see what your posture really is and give advice based on what I see.

Still it only gives me SOME info but just enough to share general advise... a more thorough conversation and even assessment might be needed to give a adequate personal advice. The general advise should work for >90% of the population and won't hurt you though, so just say so if you want more info.

What you have to do (in general):
- find the cause of your problem (example: sitting all day long)
- change your behavior (example: walk more, go do some sports, etc)
- practise good posture: every day until it gets better
- do specific training for stabilization of your spine (core stability training) and muscle development
- do some stretches for the shortened muscles (in my example: for your hip flexors, etc)
Original character edits
Goku2021

Thanks given by: Marko
Ironically, i am active person in general, but i am fimiliar with sitting for hours in the wrong posture as well.

I am not able to provide any photo atm, but i can describe it a bit more.
i am skinny, just a little anterior pelvic tilt, i think.. but there is one difference. My back is way back.. it's not forward at all. Also my neck is slightly rotated forward.
as this picture shows:
[Image: Kk11L0s.jpg] (ignore look of head, it's no quite accurate.)

Scapulas are really expressed.
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2015, 12:53 AM)Marko Wrote:  Ironically, i am active person in general, but i am fimiliar with sitting for hours in the wrong posture as well.

I am not able to provide any photo atm, but i can describe it a bit more.
i am skinny, just a little anterior pelvic tilt, i think.. but there is one difference. My back is way back.. it's not forward at all. Also my neck is slightly rotated forward.
as this picture shows:
[Image: Kk11L0s.jpg] (ignore look of head, it's no quite accurate.)

Scapulas are really expressed.

You say you are active, do you do a certain kind of sport?

Generally, when the lower back is hollow, this is what happens:
[Image: APTcomponents.jpg]

That posture also has its effect on the upper back, that appears to be way back, and pulls the head in a forward head posture. Your body tries to remain in balance this way.

About the scapula, it is hard for me to say what the problem is without any new information.

- are both scapulas equally visible and do they look the same?
- are they expressed mainly on the medial side (the part closest to your spine)?
- is the lowest part of the scapula very visible all the time?
- do the scapulas move normally when you raise your arms to the side or raise them in front of you (hard for you to tell obviously)
Original character edits
Goku2021

Thanks given by: A-Man
Football, soccer..

Then maybe it's not tilt at all or negligible little.

- they are equally visible and they look the same..
- yes
- no
- when i rise my arms and stretch them forward and sideward they aren't so visible, only in relaxed posture with arms down.

I would say something like this:
[Image: image002.jpg] - this is not picture of me

Might because of strain caused by carrying heavy loads?

What should i do? some main exercises? Where can i read more about it?
Thanks given by: