Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samus Sprite
Hi all! I'm new here, and I hope to bring you something pleasant.

Here's a Samus sprite that I made today after upgrading Gimp. I based it off the proportions of LF2 since the only Samus character is one that's ripped from a game and not the style of LF2. It took about five or six hours, a lot longer than I expected. It's also not yet finished, but it's my first sprite ever and I feel like it's at a point where it can be shown. Hopefully, if I were to ever continue, I can improve the process and sprite better and faster. It certainly was a learning experience!

Critiques and comments welcome! I know it's not the best in the world, so tell me what's wrong with it (constructively of course).

[Image: dNP7Tg.png]

Edit: UPDATE! Changed the shading so that it hopefully looks more natural.
Thanks given by: LutiChris , NewToTheEra
Welcome to LFE  :) It is great for a first sprite ;)
Original character edits
Goku2021
LF2 Timelapse (open source mod)

Thanks given by:
Great sprite! It should use a little more contrast? I think that's the correct word. Needs darker shading imo.
Also, don't use (0,0,0) black for the end of the gun (well the pixels before the end of the gun)
Thanks given by: SDM
the colors you picked to shade and stuff didn't work well. other than that, its pretty damn good for a first one! :D

Keep it up :D
(03-20-2016, 06:41 PM)mfc Wrote:  Be the unsqueezable sponge!
My new life motto!
Thanks given by: SDM
it's 10,000% better than my first " your going places kid" :D
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the kind reception everyone! It's received better than I expected.

(10-20-2014, 01:05 PM)bashscrazy Wrote:  It should use a little more contrast? I think that's the correct word. Needs darker shading imo.
Also, don't use (0,0,0) black for the end of the gun (well the pixels before the end of the gun)
I've fixed the black on my desktop, thanks for pointing that out! I don't know how that got past me.

Argh, shading. That's actually what I am hoping to improve on, and I was so worried that this was gonna be an awful piece because of it. I'll look up some tutorials on making more contrasting shading!

(10-20-2014, 01:10 PM)Rhino.Freak Wrote:  the colors you picked to shade and stuff didn't work well. other than that, its pretty damn good for a first one! :D
I'll definitely improve on that, thanks! How's the shading on the helmet? I think the shoulders and legs are subpar compared to the helmet, but if the helmet is also bad, I might just redo it all.
Thanks given by:
well the helmet shading should be more like this [Image: helmet_shading_by_janisarcane-d83jl0e.gif]
Thanks given by:
Oh wow, thanks a bunch! It looks so much better the way you have it! I wish it could be more intuitive for me. :(

EDIT: Here's my update on the sprite. I updated the original post for convenience:

[Image: dNP7Tg.png]

Comments and critiques are welcome!
Thanks given by: