Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LF2 Engine Questions: Armour
im finally back workign on my lf2 clone :D

now i dont really know how teh original lf2 armour works... i know it protects you from x hits, but thats all.
in which frames does each character's armour protect him?
how exactly does it work?

ill probably need help with other engine parts later as well
Thanks given by:
I think for Louis it's only in the standing, walking and running frames? (this includes heavy weapon)
Thanks given by:
I thought you wanted far more indepth information? :p

Julian's armor protects him in every frame.
Same goes for Knight's armor, but that one will not protect from any fire or ice attacks.
Louis' armor is neglected during state 3, while falling, hurt or attacking in any way, but also during runstop.

About how it recharges, bug Silva or YinYin :D
Quote of the Day f***ing Year (Click to View)
Thanks given by:
well yeah i am actually looking for in-depth info like recharging :p
Thanks given by:
(07-22-2014, 09:40 PM)Bamboori Wrote:  i know it protects you from x hits, but thats all.
I remember reading up about it. It doesn't actually protect(as if you're blocking, so you can still take 10% chip damage) you from exactly X hits. More like: I can take up to 20 bdefend(not the actual value) before the armor stops working. As long as the hits I take don't exceed 20 bdefend points, the armor is still active. If the attack has very high bdefend(not 100, which outright ignores armor), it will still be blocked, but the armor is not going to work for quite a while. Recharge rate is 1 bdefend per frame and resets on getting up from lying, just like normal blocking.

That's why if Julian were to stand over Firen's D>J groundfire(bdefend 2) and if Louis were to walk past John's energy shield(does not have bdefend), you'd find that they take more than the supposed number of hits. That's also why if you hit Knight with a very high bdefend attack(say, bdefend 90), you'd realize his armor only blocks once instead of twice.
[Image: uMSShyX.png]
~Spy_The_Man1993~
Steiner v3.00 (outdated), Challenge Stage v1.51
Luigi's Easier Data-Editor, A-Man's Sprite Mirrorer
Working on the LF2 Rebalance mod.
Thanks given by: Bamboori , AmadisLFE
Whether the armor is intact or broken is stored in a variable (named Defend Point). If the value is higher than X, the armor will block things off (unless you are allergic to fire/ice, but we'll stick with Julian for now).

I'm feeling so free to shamelessly copy it out of the DLL Framework:
    ASM-Code:
mov eax,dword ptr ds:[esi+edi*4+194h]
		cmp dword ptr ds:[eax+0B8h],36			; the speed, the higher the more ridiculous the armor. Julian has 15.
		jg return2
		mov eax,dword ptr ds:[esi+ebx*4+194h]
		mov eax,dword ptr ds:[eax+368h]
		mov eax,dword ptr ds:[eax+6F4h]
		cmp eax,0D6h
		je return2
		cmp eax,0D0h
		je return2
		jmp dword ptr [ARMOR_JULIAN3]

Note that piercing attacks (Soul Bomb, Super Arrow, ...) will still bring 'em down instantly. I haven't cranked up that changable value to higher values than 50 but that one's already nuts and the char will almost never go into DOP.

Don't really have the time to go into detail right now, so please bear with me.

Stupid question, though, why no novel armor system? :p
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by: Bamboori , AmadisLFE
that certainly does help a lot already :D thanks guys!

but what is a novel armour?

this is for the lf2 clone, so id like to keep it as original as possible.
Thanks given by:
(07-23-2014, 11:20 AM)Bamboori Wrote:  but what is a novel armour?

LF2 has enough flaws. Introduce new ones while getting rid of the others! :D

But really, there are so many LF2-clones being developed that I don't think it'd be worth the effort replicating every miniscule detail of the original. More precisely, the way armor work. Especially because after compiler-optimizations and weird coding, the assembler-code looks uncomprehendable :p
No idea how exactly it works. And adding one's own thoughts into a system is cool anyways.
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by: AmadisLFE
hum :p
so my current plan would be:

armour_hp=0 //armour hp
armour_level=1 //by what the damage is divided when the armour is hit. itll have a minimum of 1
armour_recharge_rate=1 //hp regeneration per frame
armour_kind=0 // 0 = no armour, 1 = punch armour, 2 = fire/ice armour
armour_sound=0 //armour hit sound

and for each frame you can specify if the armour is present or not (also possible combined with condition, so that means you can make a put-on-armour move for a char)
i think the bdefend being the value decreasing the armour hp makes the most sense. what do you think?
Thanks given by:
I don't know if it was mentioned already, but there are attacks that ignore armor:
- Fire and Ice attacks ignore Louis and Knight's armor.
- Freeze's Whirwind (D^J) *
- Henry's Super Arrow (D>J)
- Henry's Flute (D^J) *
- John's Chasing Disk (D^A)
- Louis' Whirlwind Grab (D^J) *
- Julian's Charge Blast (D^J) *
- Julian's Soul Bomb (D>J) *

* Will ignore a normal defense as well.
[Image: random-34749.png]
Thanks given by: Bamboori