Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ALMOST LIKE CHARACTER GENERATOR
In the timeline, John's first face pic really looks like something that would be done in Flash.
Thanks given by: Gespenst
If you never have seen LF2 time table, then check this: http://martiwong.com/1997-2000/games/e_1.html
Especially part about game "Sword II". He wrote his own graphic program. Of course I'm not saying he drew LF2 sprites by keyboard as well, but all his another games till LF2, have pixelated style. And I can't find it at this moment, but is there wasn't on some forum, info that Marti used his own program to spriting? He could simply write another one.
You say that LF2 meant to bo made in flash, but Marti learned C (and I guess C++ used for LF2 must be similar to C, isn't it? Well, at least names are : P) just at time of creaing LF1. There was no any work of him in flash technology till this time. So why he would like to start learning flash?
Now look at his artworks: http://martiwong.com/1997-2000/arts/e_1.html
I don't know much about vector graphic, but are those blur effects are possible in flash? Especially in earlier versions of this technology?
Actually original LF2 sprites is also using blur effect.
[Image: lf2origins3.png]

Thanks given by: 8obis , Gespenst , Gad , LutiChris
i finaly got it working yay! :)
well u mentioned those 30+ parts one needs for basic sheet, maybe u could make a list or a template for those, that'd be realy awesome!
because when i look at your file i only see 2 symbols u were working with ( Torso_front, Torso_trochebok).
I tryed editing them and i imagine how easy and fast it would be creating chars if there'd be done a template once :)
Thanks given by:
First of all, sorry for being that much confident about the Marti's method. I should have been more carefull and cautious.

I'll be smashed out soon :D.
Well, I already said, this - not going to push you all that it was made in flash. I think it was.

(08-06-2013, 09:51 AM)The Hari Wrote:  You say that LF2 meant to bo made in flash, but Marti learned C (and I guess C++ used for LF2 must be similar to C, isn't it? Well, at least names are : P) just at time of creaing LF1. There was no any work of him in flash technology till this time. So why he would like to start learning flash?
Nah, I've quit the idea that they were using action script, after seeing the history table.

(08-06-2013, 09:51 AM)The Hari Wrote:  I don't know much about vector graphic, but are those blur effects are possible in flash? Especially in earlier versions of this technology?
Actually original LF2 sprites is also using blur effect.
[Image: lf2origins3.png]
Hari, the blur itself could be made in other program, after the spritesheet was generated.
Same as glowing effects.

I think this frame is just another one with blur added over it.
[Image: xf70x.png]
That's still my opinion, not a fact.
You can see a sharp edge between blur and unblurred aread (in all of these blurred moves)

(08-06-2013, 10:43 AM)mundvoll_ Wrote:  i finaly got it working yay! :)
well u mentioned those 30+ parts one needs for basic sheet, maybe u could make a list or a template for those, that'd be realy awesome!
because when i look at your file i only see 2 symbols u were working with ( Torso_front, Torso_trochebok).
I tryed editing them and i imagine how easy and fast it would be creating chars if there'd be done a template once :)
I'm happy for you, that you got it working.

Well, I was that stupid and forgot about using symbols.
I will create a template in few days.

Thanks given by: Jahvansi
just tried ur template there and got quit good result i actually did it faster than i do my normal sprites
i think ill try this way to make some sprite sheets
vector first version
outcome after few edits and resize
[Image: 4rv1rdv.png]
[Image: p45mycA.png]
Thanks given by:
thats really cool gad are you going to make a character of it
Thanks given by:
Very impressive sprites cuality..Im downloading adobe flash now..
Thanks given by:
(08-06-2013, 09:09 AM)Gad Wrote:  Just by looking at first two faces (bandit, deep) I'm even more convinced that they were made with vectors.
I agree some of that looks like a simple brush or vector. But many parts of the shirt are pretty smooth:
[Image: ay5oIiR.png] Applies to all other first character faces (usually the skin).
(08-05-2013, 08:39 PM)Gad Wrote:  
(08-05-2013, 03:54 PM)YinYin Wrote:  I don't see any big difference to working with Photoshop apart from an inbuild sprite sheet generator and the seemingly nifty symbols. (for people who aren't confident about their initial design and suddenly need to change the head everywhere - alright)
Nope. You're thinking in bad way.
Instead of drawing every part alone, use symbols.
About like 30+ - different legs parts, different heads position, different torsos... will be used in the whole basic sheet.
You change every one of those 30, and HEY! You've got a completly new character. Now you just adjust some frames and don't need to redraw everything.
That's what Marti does with HF now and I really don't like it. All the same hands, legs, shoes, torsos. Just transformed and recoloured.
Of course it gets a little better if you just replace them with all new body parts, but in that case you still got the exact same character skeleton. That makes the whole game very stiff as all characters with the same base act the same. (kinda like ssbm copy characters c. falcon/ganondorf fox/falco marth/roy etc)
I prefer a more dynamic approach with all different animations the way LF2 does it. Keeps it fresh.
(08-06-2013, 07:01 AM)Blue Phoenix Wrote:  So wait... could this basically mean that Template (potentially) was, in fact, a template? That just a bunch of body-elements were created and those were slapped together to create a body, thus creating a master-character. Later, each new character just became a symbol-replacement + a few extra-frames.
No - otherwise LF2 would look exactly like HF. There it's evident.
(08-05-2013, 08:39 PM)Gad Wrote:  I'm pretty sure, that Marti used flash. Original sprites (these in zoom, which are somewhere in the forum, I bet you all know them) seem to be not blurred and built by vectors,
IMO LF was meant to be created in flash technology, but there C++ was over it back then.
They just exported everything made in flash, and made up with another language.
How can I say? Vector graphic and flash technology (which has been much modified, so it's very functionable) was used for HF.
I'm pretty damn sure (99,(9)%) that Hero Fighter is using vector graphic for characters. Just look at these arms swinging. If you were using flash there's no way of not noticing that.
Maybe not for everything, but I'm so sure that for some parts.
HF still uses raster graphics. You can even set the resolution of action sprites to low so the game runs smoother - you will be able to count the pixels on characters while walking for example. They may be drawn/created in flash but they got way too many details to run smooth as vectors in a game. Also again they got a lot of blurring I haven't seen with vectors so far. Please show me how one would do those arm swinging effects for example. (or Davis' breathing pants you mentioned later)
(08-05-2013, 08:39 PM)Gad Wrote:  LF was created long time ago, when photoshop wasn't that functionable.
1998 - first version of Adobe Image Ready
1999 - first version of Lf2
I'm pretty sure he didn't use it, and back then there was no other good program using layers and also a timeline, but flash.
I've used PS5 (released 1998). It was pretty awesome already. And I am sure CUHK had this at the time they started development. (probably also flash considering them getting the whole adobe package)
Also doesn't the same thing (limited functionality) apply to flash? Not to mention the first flash was released 8 years after the first Photoshop.
(08-06-2013, 10:59 AM)Gad Wrote:  the blur itself could be made in other program, after the spritesheet was generated.
Same as glowing effects.
Now that is something I could imagine. And something I also would like to adapt. First create clean vector bases and do all effects on the final sheet.
Actually I already work in a similar way. I do all effects and most of the blurring at the final resolution. But I don't quite like working with too many programs just to create some graphics. I much prefer using just one.
Thanks given by: Gad
(08-06-2013, 06:24 PM)YinYin Wrote:  That's what Marti does with HF now and I really don't like it. All the same hands, legs, shoes, torsos. Just transformed and recoloured.
Of course it gets a little better if you just replace them with all new body parts, but in that case you still got the exact same character skeleton. That makes the whole game very stiff as all characters with the same base act the same. (kinda like ssbm copy characters c. falcon/ganondorf fox/falco marth/roy etc)
The way I create the template for ppl right now is not based on colors, but graphics.
If somebody is ambitious enough to create something more than c+p + recolour character, he can use the template as a base.
You replace the parts, adjust them as you want - change animations and character's style.
It still takes a looot less, than if you'd make it from scratch.
And you don't just change the parts. You draw completly new.
Then you export the sheet from flash and finish it in your favourite program.

I swear, that the template that I make will safe a looot of time spent for drawing sprites.
It will include basic frames except punches and other attacks.
You're also suggested to change arm position in stance, running, jumping... etc... to make you character different, ofcourse it's noticable, that you used the template, when you don't change it.

And now the final part.
This will change spriting as 'art' into sprite creating.
More sprites, maybe more cool characters?
Some guys want to create characters, but they stop because they can't sprite.
What if I give them a template, that they can configure for their needs.
I know it's a template, but still it will be better looking than recoloured template, davis, or C+p from lf2.

Think in that way ;).
Thanks given by: Silverthorn , YinYin , mfc , Jahvansi , LutiChris , The Hari , Ariel , koori , Dr. Time
Hell yes - I am looking forward to it.
Thanks given by: Ariel