Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Snow
And here we are... Chapter 1 of Red Snow!

Chapter 1: Hawk

“You really think she’s ready for the trials?”
“I’m not sure.”

Two young men walked down a narrow alley way. One of them well-dressed with brown hair and glasses and the other, taller with long blonde hair and clothed in a green male school outfit. They signaled to each other and both kicked over a garbage can that was standing in front of a large hole in an abandoned building. Scores of black birds came pouring out of the building and the two men raised their hands as if to shield themselves.

As the birds dispersed from the air the boy with blonde hair called out a name, “Crow!”
Two feet slammed hard against the ground as the two boys turned around to see another one rising up to stand. The male stared at both of them hard with his silver-like eyes. His sheen, dark and spiky hair covered most of his forehead drooping down to the front of his face.
“Where have you been?” The blonde boy asked. “We need your approval on the replacement of the fourth.”
“There are no replacements.” Crow’s words were soft yet commanding. Passing between them, without looking at either one, he stepped over the garbage can they kicked over and lunged on a pile of debris that shot up to the second story of the desolate building.
“If she is not going to be the fourth, then what will we call her?” The blonde boy asked.
“She will be the sixth.” The boy said staring at the man with blonde hair. “There is no replacement for the fourth.”
“But Crow…”
FALCON!” He raised his voice demanding a halt to any further objections. His silver eyes pierced through Falcon’s attitude.
Falcon lowered his head to cover his frustration. The brown-haired boy could see it however.
“Do you really think she’s even worthy to be on our team, Crow? You know what group she was a part of before she joined with us right?”
“I know, Buzz.” Crow answered.
“Deception is written all over members, and even former members of the D.D.’s. And not to mention she would be the first female member of our team.”
“She wants to be a member of our team, does she not?” Crow asked.
Buzzard, or Buzz for short, adjusted the frames on his face. “That’s the problem; no one has ever tried to be a part of our team.”
“That’s because our standards are ridiculously high.” Falcon said. “Most people perish the thought of joining us. No ordinary player can just join us.”
“I just don’t understand why anyone, let alone a female would…”
…Would do what?
All three boys turned to see a girl approaching them. She seemed to like the color purple. Everything from her hair, long coat, undershirt and pants even her shoes were different shades of purple, “You think that everyone is too scared or afraid of your clan… is that it? You think I’m scared of you?”
Buzzard gulped with nervousness as the potential ‘sixth’ member of the clan walked up to the three of them.
“You think you’re uptight rules are enough to send me running away? Or the fact that only guys have been on your team in the past years? You think a woman is too weak to join?”
“Only the weak-willed are weak.” Crow answered steadily. The woman responded with a fierce glare.
“You guys take these snowball games way too seriously.” The girl said. “They are just traditional pastimes and you guys play them like they’re full-scale wars.”
“It’s more than just a game lady,” Buzzard spurted out. “It’s more than just some cultural thing. It goes way deeper than that and I don’t think you really underst-“
Buzzard took a large snowball to the face. He was down before he could finish his sentence. His glasses were some yards from his face and his expression was that of one seeing stars and birds before his eyes.
“As I said, too serious.”
Falcon stepped to her. “You did a good job catching him off-guard. What then will you do about someone standing aware of you?”
She eyed them both carefully watching for any sudden movements. “There’s plenty of snow on the ground, pretty boy. Make a move.”
Falcon smirked, “I like the lips on this one.”
Crow stared at the both of them with hands folded waiting in anticipation.
Falcon made his move digging his hand into the ground grabbing a huge chunk of snow and rolling it with great speed. It was only a matter of seconds before he had his snowball fully formed. However it was a couple of seconds too late. The purple-haired girl had already sent a snowball full speed and it splattered against his chest, knocking him back. He was dumbfounded.
“What the?!”
The girl was still in her throwing pose as she returned back to standing normal. She grinned at Falcon who was as still as a rock still wondering what just happened.
“Looks like she’s proved herself, Falcon.” Crow stepped down from the debris pile and walked up to the girl. Hearing his words made Falcon even more confused.
“No wait, are you serious?” Falcon asked.
“She took down both of you in less than two minutes. I think she’s earned her way in.”
Crow stood in front of the girl and reached his hand out to extend a congratulatory handshake.
“What about you?” She asked.
Now Crow was confused. “Huh?”
The girl flung her arm and shot a snowball aimed point blank at Crow’s face. The snowball shot into the sky as Crow effortlessly dodged her ploy.
“What?!” She shouted. Gnashing her teeth she threw even more snowballs at Crow who used hardly any effort to dodge them. As she was about to throw another snowball, She realized that he was nowhere in sight. Crow rose up behind her and kicked her coat flap, revealing a huge host of snowballs all preformed in her big pocket. They stumbled out of her coat and she stumbled to the ground as Crow’s kick yanked her out of position.
Falcon shook the snow off his shirt and walked up to Crow who was standing over the girl. Buzzard had finally woken up and found his glasses seeing everything that transpired.
“So this whole time she had all of those snowballs already made?” Falcon raised his eyebrows.
“Yep.” Crow answered.
“A trickster huh? Do we really need those kinds of people on our team?” Buzzard asked.
“Yep.” Crow answered.
“I thought not…. Wait what?!” Buzzard huffed.
“You heard me.” Crow extended his hand yet again to the girl who was looking at the ground. “These games get more and more intense each year. If we plan to win this year we have to switch things up. Especially with the teams we’re going to be dealing with this winter. We could use a trickster.”
“You are serious.” Falcon realized and the girl looked up to Crow.
“Aren’t you a little too honorable to have a trickster like me on your team?” The girl asked.
“Don’t underestimate yourself. You do have qualities that we can use. But if you plan to be on our team you need to understand something.”
“What’s that?” She asked.
“Not one member of our team is replaceable.” Crow stated.
Falcon and Buzzard walked up to them. Buzzard was still heated about earlier but he buried his feelings and asked. “So if we’re not going to give her the fourth title, what are we going to call her then?”
Crow simply stated. “We’ll call her… the Hawk.”
Still looking down, the girl started sniffling. But then Crow shoved a ton of snow on her head. She shot straight up shivering instantly.
“What the heck did you do that for?!”
“I’m still waiting.” Crow said.
She was confused but then looked at his hand. It was still extended waiting to be shaken. “Oh.”
The Hawk took the Crow’s hand and shook it.
“Welcome to the Birds of Prey.” Crow said and he smiled. “Now that you’ve successfully entered our team, your trials will now begin.”
Escape is a two-syllable word that grants temporary peace in the present to a future victim.
Thanks given by: Dr. Time
Some details about the city of Blanco.

Blanco, a bustling city secluded within the high western mountains of Galatia. It is a self-sufficient metropolis with a well-balanced economy constantly importing and exporting goods and services and receiving proper intake of revenue for its many assets. The seclusion within the Valley of the mountains makes it a very safe zone. Not many outsiders travel to Blanco to live, especially considering its extremely harsh winters.
However, not too many outsiders know that city of Blanco is an invaluable source for developmental technology. It’s ironic that the ‘Coldest City in the World’ is also the pioneer to incredible heating technology. There are several billion-dollar biotech companies that are housed within the city, as well as two nuclear power plants and other companies. They all work together to invent the next greatest advancement.
Aside from the technological advancement, Blanco is a thriving city of culture and influence. It has its own fashion sense, popular teams in sports, several malls and attractions, even its own common slang. Crime is prevalent in some areas of the city but the Blanco Metropolitan Police Service, or simply B.M.P.S. – commonly pronounced as ‘bimps’ by perpetrators – deal with crime with swift and effective judgment.
And then there is the jewel of the city, “The White Skirmish”. A contest entered by thousands upon thousands of contestants each year for the prize of the pool of contestant fee and the honorary title of ‘Skirmish King’. It is measured in World Records as the’ largest organized snowball fight in the world’. Anyone from teens to older adults can enter. Every entrant is given a special sensor strapped to their upper body with three green bars. Each time you are hit by a snowball, one green bar disappears until you are counted out.
There are three judges that oversee the games and approve the creation of teams either outside the ‘Skirmish Zone’, the game’s arena, or inside. All judges are active members on the City Council and are selected randomly to oversee each year’s games.
There have been a total of 19 White Skirmish competitions… this year will mark the 20th anniversary. And it’s already generating a lot of buzz. Many new teams are being formed as well as the addition of experienced returning teams.
Here are the most common and popular repeating teams to be seen in the games:
Birds of Prey – A team of 5 solid players who have a large track record of either winning or runner up.
The R Section – A savage team of relentless players, hence the ‘R’, who will stop at nothing to win.
Devious Divas – An unorthodox team of all women snowball players who’ve won frequent titles.
Other teams are to be honorably mentioned but there are too many to count. You can expect to see all of them within the game.

EDIT: Comments appreciated.
Escape is a two-syllable word that grants temporary peace in the present to a future victim.
Thanks given by: Dr. Time
Before I even opened the thread after so much time to read the first chapter,I realized I was a little late.
I was like,"This thread must be FILLED with comments now."
But I must say,I'm surprised.Really guys.
Not ONE comment till now?
Guess I'll take the prestigious first comment title ;)

Zab,I've got to give it to you. I enjoyed the first chapter.
To tell you the truth,I made a cup of coffee just to read your first chapter :P (And what a delicious cup of coffee it is mmm..)
I haven't found any flaws yet. And I also enjoyed the potential small-scale brawl among them.
I also like how you named the team after birds. 'coz me LOVES birds :P

While I'm writing this,my coffee is now finished.(lol wut, that was quick D: ) So,I'll take this as a sign and go now ^^
I'm waiting for the next chapter. ;)
[Image: icVLlMk.png]