Poll: What is/are your favorite background(s)?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Alectric: Ducktopia
13.89%
20 13.89%
MH-Razen & Apocalipsis: Olympia
17.36%
25 17.36%
Blue Phoenix: Acherontic
19.44%
28 19.44%
lf2TimmE1: JulianCave
4.86%
7 4.86%
LutiChris & Bamboori: Scientist's Lair
7.64%
11 7.64%
Marshall: Vallenfyre
16.67%
24 16.67%
Monolith: Sunset at marina
3.47%
5 3.47%
mundvoll_: Crystal Cave
4.86%
7 4.86%
Reaper: Troll's Awakening
3.47%
5 3.47%
YinYin & Chishio: Toad Stool
8.33%
12 8.33%
Total 144 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contest #16: Background challenge - VOTING
(11-15-2011, 04:24 PM)YinYin Wrote:  
(11-15-2011, 04:18 PM)Apocalipsis Wrote:  There are cases in wich not every background got critics and there's a small feedback for the voted backgrounds, wich is better than nothing. And then there's voting with no critics... I don't know, maybe I'm expecting too much, but I was expecting full critics for every background from, atleast, each person who did one.

i kinda started writing a critique for everyone but i'm only half way done and so i figured i would at least get my vote out

i sure have more critique for you as well - more positive than negative i have to admit

same as apoc,i waiting critics from all voted members.
@YinYin,cant wait to read full critics from u,gosh waiting makes my head go crazy.
Troll mode activated TwistedDemonEvil
Thanks given by:
Okay here u go ;)

Ducktopia:

very nice quality of the sprites and nice paralax scrolling, this already makes it worth getting a vote ;)

Olympia:
... the glow in the sky, the statues, the clouds, EVERYTHING is awesome, simply stunning! And it even gets more awesome when the dynamic effects start to appear! also imo best idea refering to the topic, great job u two! ;) ----> VOTE!

Archerontic:

the colour sheme, the moving skeleton and all the other tiny awesome details (bridge, lights) create an atmosphere on this bg, which i totally love :)
high quality sprites as well as nice scrolling makes it totally worth a vote

Julian Cave:

Nice idea, nice sprites (love the statue and the waterfall) and nice scrolling, the reason why u didnt get a vote from me is maybe small but for my taste there is too much empty space in the center of the bg (as i said its my taste), maybe to make it clearer, when i look at Olympia for example there is not a single area in the background, where i can look at and which isnt interesting... otherwise very nice bg TimmE ;)

Scientist's Lair:
damn i cant say it often enough and u know it Ian, i totally love your spriting style! ;) same counts for this bg, all the details and little animations are kewl man, sadly their is nearly now paralax scrolling :(

Vallenfyre:
hm at this bg i wasnt and im still not quite sure if its wort a vote... the thing is awesome graphics and smooth animation, but no scrolling :/ as i far as im concerned u rip your sprites for the bgs, but im totally sure its stil lots of work to put all the graphics together in such a nice way, this bg simply got sth which makes me enjoy playing it over and over again, a great atmosphere for an 1on1 Boss fight, so at least i gave it a vote ;)

Sunset at marina:
on the layers u did for the bg (floor+sky) u did a very nice job, great sky-sunset-see picture in the bg and nicely sprited gutter, but im missing sth in this bg, it gets boring after some time playing it, maybe a water animation, or even a sunset animation would be nice here. anyway gj mono

Troll's Awakening:

overall a really nice bg, nice sprites, the only layer i didnt like was the ground one :/ the dynamic effect is a nice idea and makes the fighting on this bg more interesting, but i dont know if its just my bad luck or imagination, the hands seem not to appear for a very long time (feeling) and then there spawn a lot in a few seconds and after that they wont appear again. (?) a bit sad cause i really like this effct, i would more like it if the hands would spawn more often and then maybe dont do that much dmg, so its just about the "get out of combo" effect, (hope u understand what i mean ._.)

Toad Stool:
the third bg in this contest which contains a dynamic effect. nice idea of really putting a boss in the bg, the bee makes playing on this idea enjoyable and sth new (flying in the air effect :> ), sadly i dont like the sprites of this bg apart from the bee, simply dosnt fit LF2 imo, so no vote here although there is this cool Killerbee :/

Summing up what ive just said, i want to tell all of you participants, that u did a great job on your bgs. I had a lot of fun testing them all out ("KILLERBEE invading the other bgs, Toad Stoll is not enough" >:D). I hope their will be more activity like in this contest in other contest too, as it is simple more fun! :)

PS: damn semms my crappy DC knowledge tricked me, i actually sprited the ground layer of my bg in 2000px but then resized cause i thought there wont be paralax scrolling otherwise ._. im so dump :O anyway if u mh, put the bgs on the mainsite i will first give u a fixed version of my bg, so noone gets drunk anymore by playing my bg >.<

Thanks given by: Monolith , Apocalipsis , MH-Razen , Reaper
(11-15-2011, 07:25 PM)mundvoll_ Wrote:  Okay here u go ;)

Sunset at marina:
on the layers u did for the bg (floor+sky) u did a very nice job, great sky-sunset-see picture in the bg and nicely sprited gutter, but im missing sth in this bg, it gets boring after some time playing it, maybe a water animation, or even a sunset animation would be nice here. anyway gj mono

thanks mundvol_,remember our talk about mod?i think u have already saw this bg in that project,future will show how it will look,im planning to make it animated,water,glowing sun,maybe birds,but i wont say more,u know there will be no interesting then.
Arrigatou.
Thanks given by:
They were nice though I didn't download them. I just judged them by their pictures and according to me 1st Prize is Monolith's sunset at marina and the 2nd prize is definitely Blue Phoenix's Archentotic ( wait, did I spell it right? o.O ) Anyways, all entries were great :D
Thanks given by: Monolith
(11-17-2011, 01:38 PM)тαмвσσ Wrote:  They were nice though I didn't download them. I just judged them by their pictures and according to me 1st Prize is Monolith's sunset at marina and the 2nd prize is definitely Blue Phoenix's Archentotic ( wait, did I spell it right? o.O ) Anyways, all entries were great :D
thanks,atleast one member think me as winner,judging by pics.
Realy big thanks.
Thanks given by:
(11-17-2011, 01:38 PM)тαмвσσ Wrote:  They were nice though I didn't download them. I just judged them by their pictures and ...
And you judged wrong:(.Don't judge them only by pictures.There is more inside them when you play the game,like animations or special effects.

And you can read this note in the first post:
Quote:Please note that the small image size is intended; you shouldn't vote because of the image but because of what you download.
Thanks given by: Bamboori
Time to cast my vote(s).....

Ducktopia:
Certainly your best background up to date! The level of details is good, not too much, not too few, just right. There are no effects that might distract an epic boss-fight, and the water-animation is so subtle that it just fits in nicely without any draw-backs.
Coming to the negative side: the columns are placed right, yet their scrolling is not showing this. Just a minor thing, but with a huge impact. Also, this is just a personal preference, but I generally associate "boss-fights" with the word "epic". However, the theme of the background is more screaming "I AM FUNNY" at me instead of "I AM THE WORTHY CANDIDATE WHERE YOU FIGHT YOUR ULTIMATE ENEMY".

Olympia
Well, what can I say... fantastic artwork paired with fantastic DCing! The graphics are absolutely mindblowing. I'm a huge sucker for details, so this one's definitely a BG for me :P
The DC is flawless and really neat altogether. Multiple niftinesses make this fight a true experience.
Theme-wisely, this is the stuff I have imagined when posting this contest. In my opinion, the clear winner in that regard.
Again, a personal preference: in a battle vs. a boss, I generally like to fight against him without anything distracting me. Nevertheless, the background is just too awesome to not receive a vote.

Acherontic
Bla.

JulianCave
This is definitely having a great mood: a really boss-like atmosphere. Some great scrolling, perfectly placed objects. The columns are nicely crafted, however, the ground is letting it down a little. Detail-wisely, it just can't hold up with the rest. Also, the perspective of Julian looks different than the perspective of the other elements but this only becomes apparent after quite some time of playing (which I really enjoyed).

Scientist's Lair
Amazing details, too bad the layer-limit blocked you. I truly loved the physics-part on the board :p
Same with Ducktopia, though: not really fitting for a boss-fight, imo. Don't get me wrong, the BG itself is amazing, just not fitting to the theme...

Vallenfyre
Another background that radiates the boss-like atmosphere. Glad that you made it in time ;)
As for the BG itself, the graphics are nicely aligned and blend in fairly well. The walking area is pretty small (like I am the one to talk :p), yet still, it goes to a part that shouldn't be where one can walk normally. Just a thing I wanted to say. You still got my vote.

Sunset at marina
The color-scheme is well-picked, so the thumb is certainly giving the impression of having a nice BG. Sadly, this cannot be kept up upon playing. The ocean would look awesome if it was animated. If you have the time and will to continue working on this, an animation of the water can better this background by heaps! Also, adding an additional cloud-layer on top of the sky (which is not smudged) can add a whole lot more depth to it. Don't give up on it, this background has potential!

Crystal Cave
The back-part of it looks really good and the glow makes it all really sweet. Sadly, the ground has a little few details and doesn't really keep up with the rest. Adding some faint reflections from the ceiling (seeing that it's called "Crystal Cave", reflections sound reasonable) can really bring this to life. Oh, and, of course, the parallax awkwardness. But I guess you already know about it ;)

Troll's Awakening
First things first, if you want to add spaces in background-names, use an underscore instead of of space ;)
Anyways, the colors are fitting and give it the right mood. The suddenly appearing arms are a nice addition to it; they can easily be avoided, so they don't really interrupt the gameplay. I noticed a few downsides, though: the rocks, for example, could have a little harder shading and a bit more details (for example, some cracks, etc). Also, the ground-layer.... its texture is way too detailed compared to the other elements. The least effort would be to run a Photoshop-filter over it. If I remember correctly, the filter is called "Palette Knife". As for the sky, it's looking pretty good, especially in terms of color, but it might look even better if it had a more painterly approach. Just try to add some photo-overlays to it and apply some filters to it ;)

Toad Stool
To be honest, I was a little disappointed after what I heard from Chishio. Especially the backdrop with its photographic elements. However, the scrolling-effect of it is great, so I guess it kind of makes up for it. Not to mention that the DCing is absolutely great, I definitely like the fact that the bee can switch teams and can be "killed".
When you fight vs. AI, though, it gets pretty easy to win. Just make the bee join your team and watch it do its job. The fact that it's from a pretty unique perspective (I haven't seen a whole lot of BGs that features scale like this) makes me give the vote, though ;)
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by: Jahvansi , Apocalipsis , LutiChris , Monolith , Reaper
If Alectric doesn't win. I'll kick a puppy and punch a kitten.

Ducktopia is the only BG worth my notice in this contest. Looks great graphicly and that's what earned my vote. Sorry other peoples. D:
Thanks given by:
Whoa! Looks like it's the last day.
btw, you really disappoint me, mono. I thought you made it animated(Make raft floating up and down, water waves...)
Edit:(Sorry, I was busy when I first post this)

Ducktopia : Awesome, but no effects.

Olympia: Best BG I have downloaded. Nice work!

Acherontic: Amazing BG with no effects.

Julian Cave: Julian looks a bit strange on that seat, don't know why. But doesn't impressed me.

Scientist's liar: I would give a big plus if there's some effects. This BG has normal sprites but it would be cool if that scientist attacked or something. Sad that you guys didn't made it in time.:(

Vallenfyre: Every BG you made impressed me. There's a bug here, you didn't make the height tall enough so there's a little blank above. Sadly no effects.

Sunset at Marina: Already mentioned a bit, but try harder and add some effects.

Crystal Cave: Nice BG if it's a screenshot, but you made the data wrong(there's a crystal that follows you). Plus, the ground you made is very confusing when fighting. Gives me a confusion and beaten many times.

Troll's awakening: The damage of the effects is too high and too slow. The sky doesn't look right and the cliff you're standing on doesn't have a good edge.(Hard to explain here)

Toad stool: Cool BG and Cool effects.(Oh, and I kill the bee many times, not hard to kill for me. Xd )

Edit2:

Hey, why don't we help each other re-made the BG that has bugs and put them in LFE-fileplanet. Worth a try, right?
This place motivates me to become an artist, this place motivates me to learn coding, this place made me grow up, showed me the ways to interact with people. Unlike the old childish of me myself, I've learned a lot and gotten some experiences. For me, it's not just a fan forum, it's a helpful community. From a noob to someone who would think before he speaks, looking back at my old post made me laugh hard, I'm grateful of the differences between these 2 years.
~Thank You All and Farewell
~Goodbye, LFE.
RIP - 14/04/2014
Thanks given by: Monolith , Apocalipsis
Relax,like i was wrote somewhere i dont remember,in near future it will be animated.
Edit: @hero destroyer,luti bg have frame limits,thats why professor cant be attacked or something.
REALY BIG EDIT:well,as u all can see,my all first projects,chars bg or even a mod,with bunch chars and in every stage more and more enemies.I have made that mod 2 years ago,i dont posting it in lfe cuz its without permission,and it just for playing by its self,not mass playing.
Thanks given by: Hero destroyer