Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
XLF - Omega THE FINAL (by STEN)
manxeater Wrote:WHY is it 229 MB?
is it a GTA mod or lf2 mod?!
:/

Well, I guess that all the graphics are saved as bmp's, and they are biiiig. Also, the uncompressed size is about 800MB........
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by:
oh well ...
in the end im just disappointed and disgusted as usual >.>
Thanks given by:
@YinYin
Dang, I had 'Sten', I didn't check the lowercase-way :P

Just felt so free to edit Marshall's post to add the password to prevent further questions from people that are unwilling to read too much.

Yea so, I had the time to test the mod a bit... The first thing that struck me was the download size with over 200MB. This is the size of big mods already! But still, nothing compared to the full version, with almost 800MB. 800MB for a LF2-mod, pretty big, huh? Reason for the size is the enourmous amount of huge bitmaps and several background-music-files.
Anyways, I start the 2.5-times larger exe compared to the regular 1.9c-exe. The gigantic cursor immediately pierces my eyes, and the color schemes are kinda new... First I check the control settings. Of course, it is one of these weird ones, but let's stop talking about preparations, instead, let's start the game. Fatal decision, that's what I realized pretty soon. I forgot to close all my applications. And I'm running it from a lap top. Well, great! The logical conclusion: my lap top crashes. Of course, I almost expected that. I close PS, and try the procedure again. And it crashed again. I close Firefox and all the other applications that are running, and finally I get to the menu screen :D

Now, it's time to check the characters out. lf2.net doesn't work, point for that exe-edit. Obviously the developers messed around with the resource hacker and (for easiness) with rammichael's UP. But it makes me wonder why they didn't enable png's...
However, the characters' faces look pretty unique. Not that I like them, in fact, they look really strange. They look like they were create from scratch but not really well-made. Actually pretty sad, for an 800MB-mod I expect a bit more. The in-game stuff is extremely laggy, especially if the screen-filling attacks are activated. Combo-possibility is quite nice.

I didn't have time yet to play anything else than vs-mode, maybe stage mode or battle mode can pull the average up. By now, I think there is not enogh to account for this extraordinary size...

Thanks given by:
Just so you know, using the PNG stuff uses up more RAM... I found that out when I was working on the lf2 mod loader:p
[Image: doty7Xn.gif]

10 ʏᴇᴀʀs sɪɴᴄᴇ ɪʀᴄ ɢᴏᴏᴅ.ɪ ᴡᴀʟᴋ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴍᴘᴛʏ sᴛʀᴇᴇᴛs ᴛʀʏɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴏғ sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴇʟsᴇ ʙᴜᴛ ᴍʏ ᴘᴀᴛʜ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ʟᴇᴀᴅs ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ɪʀᴄ. ɪ sᴛᴀʀᴇ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ sᴄʀᴇᴇɴ ғᴏʀ ʜᴏᴜʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ sᴜᴍᴍᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ɪʀᴄ. ɪ ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ɪʀᴄ ᴄʜᴀɴɴᴇʟs ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ɪs ɴᴏ ɢᴏᴏᴅ. ɪ ᴘᴇsᴛᴇʀ ᴢᴏʀᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ ʀᴇsɪsᴛ ʜɪs sᴇxɪɴᴇss ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ɪs ᴀʟʟ ᴍᴇᴀɴɪɴɢʟᴇss. ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅ ɪs ɴᴇᴀʀ.ɪ ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴜsᴜᴀʟʟʏ ʀᴇᴀᴅ sᴏᴍᴇ ᴏʟᴅ ɪʀᴄ ʟᴏɢs ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʀʏ ᴍʏsᴇʟғ ᴛᴏ sʟᴇᴇᴘ.

Thanks given by:
Silva Wrote:Just so you know, using the PNG stuff uses up more RAM... I found that out when I was working on the lf2 mod loader:p

Well great! Now for this mod you have the choice of having an extremely large mod or a RAM-eating mod....
Either way the mod is laggy....

Thanks given by:
YinYin Wrote:oh well ...
in the end im just disappointed and disgusted as usual >.>
expected that from you all along

@Silva
really? crap... I think I've got to do a lot of re-planning...

@BP
well... I hvn't downloaded it myself, because I still hvn't got around to fix my own computer. But I guess 800MB is massive and judging from your description, my laptop prolly can't run it <<
you don't want to see this (Click to View)
the other by xFire
Thanks given by:
Marshall Wrote:well... I hvn't downloaded it myself, because I still hvn't got around to fix my own computer. But I guess 800MB is massive and judging from your description, my laptop prolly can't run it <<

My laptop is about one year old and it had some problems running the thingy. The funny flashing stuff makes the game laggy like heck, this is my experience. If your laptop isn't one of the newer ones, I'll advise you not to download the mod...

Thanks given by:
Very interesting mod. I like it. :) Just the loading is annoying and the size of the game. >_> Some of the chars sprites aren't well-aligned, too. But in the end, anything is funny and the finishers are just terrific, espacially that of AMON. Twisted
[Image: foxcnbannerbluesp8.png]
Thanks given by:
Well I just tried it, and I have to say I'm surprised(in a good way). Maybe it is the fact that I came in with really low expectations or maybe its because I didn't experience the lag, but this was a fairly good mod. It is way better than the recycled "lf4 turbo edition pro blablabla" crap...
Some suggestions( Pass the message along marshall, if you think he cares :p)

Add black bars to the top and bottom of the backgrounds.
Don't make people run to fast, it makes it harder to control and sort of ruins the smoothness of game play.
Background music isn't really needed that much, without it the mod would be smaller.

Things I liked:
Backgrounds were nice.
Sprites weren't just crappy hue changes like in most crappy mods.
Other stuff I can't think of :p
[Image: doty7Xn.gif]

10 ʏᴇᴀʀs sɪɴᴄᴇ ɪʀᴄ ɢᴏᴏᴅ.ɪ ᴡᴀʟᴋ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴍᴘᴛʏ sᴛʀᴇᴇᴛs ᴛʀʏɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴏғ sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴇʟsᴇ ʙᴜᴛ ᴍʏ ᴘᴀᴛʜ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ʟᴇᴀᴅs ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ɪʀᴄ. ɪ sᴛᴀʀᴇ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ sᴄʀᴇᴇɴ ғᴏʀ ʜᴏᴜʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ sᴜᴍᴍᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ɪʀᴄ. ɪ ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ɪʀᴄ ᴄʜᴀɴɴᴇʟs ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ɪs ɴᴏ ɢᴏᴏᴅ. ɪ ᴘᴇsᴛᴇʀ ᴢᴏʀᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʀʏ ᴛᴏ ʀᴇsɪsᴛ ʜɪs sᴇxɪɴᴇss ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ɪs ᴀʟʟ ᴍᴇᴀɴɪɴɢʟᴇss. ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅ ɪs ɴᴇᴀʀ.ɪ ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴜsᴜᴀʟʟʏ ʀᴇᴀᴅ sᴏᴍᴇ ᴏʟᴅ ɪʀᴄ ʟᴏɢs ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʀʏ ᴍʏsᴇʟғ ᴛᴏ sʟᴇᴇᴘ.

Thanks given by:
I can't seem to be able to read the readme with all the moves. Is it possible that someone translate it? Thanks a thousand!
Thanks given by: