Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Massive thread of LF2 version reviews
Hello everyone. I am Leviaiz (aka. Itari or rewlf2) who made one of the large-scaled LF2 versions: LF2 Story of HongBa.

As you who enjoy LF2 know, LF2 ver/mods are a collection of diverse creations which are developed from the LF2 game module.
(for DCers, the module means the game contents you made for your ver/mod)

I am here to present some ver/mod reviews for you all, to provide more understanding about them in the LF2 community.
Apart from popular games, I am open to accept requests for reviewing vers and mods.

Mind that I do not accept individual content to be reviewed.

How do I define individual content (Click to View)

Which ver/mod that I am to review first is generally within my discretion. Although I would try to cover most of the popular vers/mods if possible.

The grading system is as follows:

Grading system (Click to View)
Which aspects of a ver/mod will be graded (Click to View)

A list of versions and mods I have reviewed (Click to View)
A list of versions and mods I plan to review (Click to View)
Each reviewed version/mod will be separated into a single reply.

If you want to download the vers/mods that I have reviewed, please click here.

A list of crappy creations I will NOT review (Click to View)

85 - Original LF2 (Click to View)

58 - R-LF2 (Click to View)
Mind you, by taking a glimpse on the commentary of two very popular creations: Original LF2 and R-LF2, you can get most of the terms I use to describe a ver/mod.

78 - Julian War 2 (Click to View)

84 - Rhythm of Night (Click to View)

76 - Combined Effort (Click to View)

84 - Story of HongBa (Click to View)
Re-review of Fighter Hero, (New) LF2 haha v20 and LF2 neuer stern (RIOT update)
https://lf-empire.de/forum/showthread.ph...#pid209783
Thanks given by: Silverthorn , STM1993 , AmadisLFE , A-Man , Marko , klodasmone
56 - D.R.LF2 (Click to View)
83 - D.R.LF2 Special: Tower Defense (Click to View)
78 - BX-LF2 v2.0 (Click to View)
75 - SDL-LF2 v2.0 (Click to View)
75 - XLF-Omega (Click to View)
83 - New Alpha (Click to View)
Thanks given by:
Important:

This first review on Fighter Hero is being reschinded and re-evaluated due to bias from myself. Please see first post.

I will put up a new review after I complete replaying FH.

46 - Fighter Hero (Rescinded, please see first post) (Click to View)
Thanks given by:
WOW, impressive.
I think the problem with XLF-Omega is oil barrels, and spam skills is the key to win in stage mode.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for this post, you really did a great job here.
I'm saying this not because you gave my RN a high score

Full of memories.. It has been 13 years I think since I started to work on RN. I'm feeling grateful that there're still many players from all over the world playing this nearly 20-year-old game and still remember and even speak highly on my mod.

Now my job is about web development and database but I still remember the days I played with C++ and worked on my own 2D game engine from scratch DirectX, just as Marti did. I copied MANY idea, knowledge and concepts and terms I learned from LF2 data changing into my source code. I even implemented a script language which is still highly inspired by LF2 DC. Hehe.. It's really a full, full of lovely memories.

This game, LF2, played an important role in my life, say the least. I did have some talk with Marti on Facebook. He is really a decent, humble and hardworking guy. However we behold that how the market of video games changes. Old-school games are no longer being popular and would eventually go into people's memory. HFX is not a successful game, not because the game's quality. Those decent and smooth sprite sheets would no longer attract players nowadays and Marti did lost lots of money because of this (and game cracks). But I felt really, I meant, really glad, when I heard that Marti got a nice job again. Wish all the best.

Something about RN's plot
Really? You really want to talk about the "story" written by a 14-year-old boy? Are you serious? :D

Simoneon edited this post 04-11-2017 10:05 PM because:
Felix, you're the man. RN was probably the best done mod I've played, it felt finished and exciting throughout, with so many fresh ideas and coding tricks!
Thanks given by: STM1993 , rewlf2 , Bamboori , AmadisLFE , empirefantasy
Marti has more than enough skills to keep him a stable life. I guess he would perform well in teams, like in his previous jobs.

(04-11-2017, 09:30 PM)Felix Wrote:  Something about RN's plot
Really? You really want to talk about the "story" written by a 14-year-old boy? Are you serious? :D

The plot is quite good, if you compare it to plots of other LF2 mods at that time. There were not many mods with plot anyway.
I am just concerned about newer mods do not really improve in quality of plots (except a few of them)

(Irreverent) Will do more mod reviews later.
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2017, 05:06 AM)rewlf2 Wrote:  Marti has more than enough skills to keep him a stable life. I guess he would perform well in teams, like in his previous jobs.

(04-11-2017, 09:30 PM)Felix Wrote:  Something about RN's plot

The plot is quite good, if you compare it to plots of other LF2 mods at that time. There were not many mods with plot anyway.
I am just concerned about newer mods do not really improve in quality of plots (except a few of them)

(Irreverent) Will do more mod reviews later.

What I was just worrying was that what if he kept writing time consuming, and rewardless indie games. I never doubted Marti's ability that he can do very well in any leading IT giants. Hehe.

I believe most of DCers in that age is somewhat the same age as me :) I really wish to remake something like AI (using nowadays tech), so that I don't need to use Jack's ID for the bowman, Justin's ID for the swordman and Mark's ID for the spearman. That's the reason why Justin is absense in stage-5 hehe.. Even Felix is using Dennis's ID but it would not be a serious problem since there's no enemy fighters in stages. But as I say.. We are adults and the most important thing in life is making money for you and your family.. That's why I'm soooooooo glad to hear that Marti is doing good now.

Thanks for everything. Guys.
Thanks given by: rewlf2
To make a game that features good fights is possible (on your own) but tedious.

To make a game that is known by many people would be:
This difficulty level (Click to View)
Thanks given by:
i just wanted to say, just in case, but in lf2 newalpha, for the louis move, wou have to do it like this: d>j while holding <, then d<j. and btw, thos thread is awesome. but i definetly don't agree with the review of lf2hongba. while it was a good mod, especially for its creativity, it's sprites just aren't good, and more importantly, it is NOT balanced at all. but, still, nice thread
make sure to check my sprites!
I guarantee your eyes won't hurt! At least, they won't hurt too much :p !
Thanks given by: rewlf2
57.5 Naruto: The Settling Dawn II v2.0 (Click to View)
Thanks given by: