Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
LF2 kate Articuno
Hello everyone. I'm not sure how many people are familiar with the articuno crash in lf2 kate but i remember a long time ago I resolved this issue and I cannot remember how to do so. So I was hoping that someone here can point me in he right direction without deleting the move altogether.

Note: I think I resolved it by adjusting my RAM settings or something like that the first time so if someone can elaborate on what to do there. :s

So is no one going to answer my question or are you all just going o keep looking at the post awkwardly?
Thanks given by:
TL;DR: CLICK ME

(06-24-2016, 04:06 AM)Distress Wrote:  So is no one going to answer my question or are you all just going o keep looking at the post awkwardly?

Relax, not everyone has Kate installed and/or knows how to solve the underlying issue. In fact, I first had to download & install the mod to see what's going on.

For those that don't know what's happening: when you play as Sorcerer (lf2.net for unlocking him) and do D>JDJ, you'll spawn Articuno. The sprite looks like it's directly taken out of Pokemon Stadium; the bmp-file is 416 x 804 pixels.

BUT, after about half an hour of digging, I noticed that Articuno itself is not the issue but rather this frame in sorcerer.dat:
    DC-Code:
<frame> 309 DA_action
   pic: 119  state: 15  wait: 4  next: 310  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  dvz: 0  centerx: 46  centery: 79  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0

wpoint:
      kind: 1  x: 52  y: 54  weaponact: 31  attacking: 0  cover: 1  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  dvz: 0 
   wpoint_end:
   opoint:
      kind: 1  x: 20  y: 46  action: 200  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  oid: 209  facing: 0
   opoint_end:
<frame_end>

Skipping it will at least prevent the crash (in-game, Sorcerer spawns Articuno but it doesn't do anything lol). Now it's time to find the real culprit! And....

*drumroll*

This is THE EVIL (freeze_ball.dat):
    DC-Code:
<frame> 200 F.r.e.e.z.e.A.l.l!!!--Under
   pic: 100  state: 3005  wait: 0  next: 201  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  centerx: 50  centery: 500  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0
<frame_end>

<frame> 201 F.r.e.e.z.e.A.l.l!!!--Under
   pic: 100  state: 3005  wait: 0  next: 201  dvx: 43  dvy: 0  centerx: 50  centery: 500  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0
   opoint:
      kind: 1  x: 0  y: 350  action: 100  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  oid: 209  facing: 0
   opoint_end:
<frame_end>

More precisely, the frame names. The crash is caused by the length of them. Changing them to something nicer will instantly resove the issue, for example, this works:
    DC-Code:
<frame> 200 Articuno-thingy
   pic: 100  state: 3005  wait: 0  next: 201  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  centerx: 50  centery: 500  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0
<frame_end>

<frame> 201 Articuno-thingy
   pic: 100  state: 3005  wait: 0  next: 201  dvx: 43  dvy: 0  centerx: 50  centery: 500  hit_a: 0  hit_d: 0  hit_j: 0
   opoint:
      kind: 1  x: 0  y: 350  action: 100  dvx: 0  dvy: 0  oid: 209  facing: 0
   opoint_end:
<frame_end>

You can either patch the dat-file yourself or use the one attached to this post. It's exactly the patch shown above.

*drops mic*

Attached Files
.dat   freeze_ball.dat (Size: 8.22 KB / Downloads: 1,605)
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by: STM1993 , A-Man , Bamboori , Rhino.Freak
Ok im not sure how to patch the file you just provided do i just copy and paste it? From the original file?

STM1993 edited this post 06-29-2016 03:21 AM because:
Just copy & paste over the original freeze_ball.dat file
Thanks given by:
The respective file is located in
<The LF2 Kate-folder>/data/freeze_ball.dat

If you haven't changed the installation-folder of LF2, it's probably located under
C:/Program Files (x86)/
. You can simply replace freeze_ball.dat with the one I attached in the last post ;)

*drops mic again*
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by: Rhino.Freak
(06-29-2016, 04:18 PM)Silverthorn Wrote:  The respective file is located in

If you haven't changed the installation-folder of LF2, it's probably located under
. You can simply replace freeze_ball.dat with the one I attached in the last post ;)

*drops mic again*

Hello, been a year but this post is the closest to my problem. Im on Little fighter 4 turbo. I have the same articuno crash issue. What I could do is download your file and search its location in the new game and replaced it [Little fighter 4 turbo/data/freeze_ball.dat]. It still crashes.. Please help :(
Thanks given by:
(07-27-2017, 06:11 PM)Zade Wrote:  

*drops mic again*

Hello, been a year but this post is the closest to my problem. Im on Little fighter 4 turbo. I have the same articuno crash issue. What I could do is download your file and search its location in the new game and replaced it [Little fighter 4 turbo/data/freeze_ball.dat]. It still crashes.. Please help :(
Articuno data in LF4 Turbo is located in:

woody_handsharp.dat
normal_firen_ball.dat

Those two have overly long frame names, more than 20 characters long. And not just the articuno, the Woody handknife frame names are too long as well.

Download a data changer, open those 2 files, shorten the frames' names.
[Image: uMSShyX.png]
~Spy_The_Man1993~
Steiner v3.00 (outdated), Challenge Stage v1.51
Luigi's Easier Data-Editor, A-Man's Sprite Mirrorer
Working on the LF2 Rebalance mod.
Thanks given by: Zade
(07-28-2017, 02:23 AM)STM1993 Wrote:  
(07-27-2017, 06:11 PM)Zade Wrote:  

*drops mic again*

Articuno data in LF4 Turbo is located in:

woody_handsharp.dat
normal_firen_ball.dat

Those two have overly long frame names, more than 20 characters long. And not just the articuno, the Woody handknife frame names are too long as well.

Download a data changer, open those 2 files, shorten the frames' names.

Thanks! did it and it worked, honestly i gave up hope as I remember this was not what I did in my older/ancient PC while playing LF2 Turbo, but I can't remember just like OP.

I've attached the edited files.

Attached Files
.dat   woody_handsharp.dat (Size: 26.77 KB / Downloads: 877)
.dat   normal_firen_ball.dat (Size: 9.45 KB / Downloads: 843)
Thanks given by:
Oh so that is the issue! Nice to know.

I have played LF2 turbo 4 for a some time but never minded to debug problem :p
Thanks given by: