Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ALMOST LIKE CHARACTER GENERATOR
Hi there.
Have you ever wanted to create new character, but you were out of time, or too lazy to create whole spritesheet?
Now you can save a lot of your time and create basic character frames in less than 30 minutes!

Where's the catch?
The posibilities are limited and you won't be able to do everything with this base.
But it's still very functionable - if you use it correctly and adjust the elements the effect may be outstanding.

We just need Adobe Flash Cs5 or 6 (to open the file xD), then we design our character.

I've created this template model in like 3 hours from scratch.
You're just editing my work...
[spoiler=Preview][Image: vcwcpy.png][/spoiler]
Download Flash Template Spritesheet (Cs6 or Cs5)

The secret lays on the 'symbols', which are part of Flash technology.
I've created them using parts of body.
[Image: 119b6vl.png]
THAT'S ALL YOU NEED TO DRAW

Few changes...
[Image: 2gt7sd5.png]
And!
Voila ! Cheap desinged character is ready:
You can also use Flash Cs3
and create sprithesheet from SWF file!

VERY USEFUL OPTION (Click to View)

What do you do then?
Open the file with Adobe Flash Cs5 or newer and just edit every object in the library.
Then look at template object, if everything fits correctly.
If not, then adjust it.
If you're using CS6
Right Click on Template symbol in library -> generate sprite sheet
else, you will need to:
Right Click on Template symbol in library -> export PNG sequence
and then merge up all exported pngs with a spritesheet generator, you can use this online one http://draeton.github.io/stitches/
configure it and there you go!

You can also use the other template, which is a lot more detailed and needs a lot more work.
It was made at YinYin's sorted spritesheet
http://y2f.heliohost.org/index.php?curre...pment.html

DOWNLOAD NEW_TEMPLATE for CS5
Advantages of Flash (Click to View)
It's not really original now that you're doing it, eh? ;D

Although I'm probably not trying this, it does make me feel like I should start at a bigger size and resizing since the bigger sprite's shading looks simple yet when resized it looks awesome.
Thanks given by:
By saying "original" i mean, the primal way.
Wongs were creating sprites in that way.
Thanks given by: 8obis , Alblaka , Bamboori , LutiChris , Dr. Time , Hate
(08-04-2013, 09:36 PM)Gad Wrote:  Wongs were creating sprites in that way.

That explains alot to me...

Thanks for sharing the technique though, it's the first I even remotely considered using due to the lesser amount of time needed.
My Creations: (Click to View)

Return (String) System.getNewsOfTheDay();
Barely active, expect slow responses. If at all.

Greetz,
Alblaka
Thanks given by:
thats.. too much complicated >.<
Thanks given by: Hate
I have to admit, I once tried using Flash to create a few sprites. It's definitely a huge improvement in terms of animating; and, of course, the symbols. Don't know why, but eventually, I switched back to PS. Must've been when I was in love with all the PS-effects :p

I didn't know about the spritesheet-generator-thing, though. Personally, I think the hard 79x79-layout is unnecessary anyways when you create a completely new char. Does Flash leave a 1px line between each sprite?
Silverthorn / Blue Phoenix
~ Breaking LFE since 2008 ~

"Freeze, you're under vrest!" - Mark, probably.

» Gallery | » Sprites | » DeviantArt
Thanks given by:
(08-05-2013, 07:17 AM)Blue Phoenix Wrote:  Does Flash leave a 1px line between each sprite?

There is such an option.

And yes, it's not necessary to use 79 x 79. But then, you need to fix every centering in data changer, or just move your whole spritesheet few pixels right/left.
Thanks given by: Rellotscrewdriver
(08-05-2013, 06:15 AM)rhino.freak Wrote:  thats.. too much complicated >.<

Spriting isn't easy in general. If you're not willing to spend quite a lot time to create spritesheets, chances are that it'll look complicated. I guess this method is probably the easiet way out, since you don't get unmotivated after you see the large spritesheet of unfinished sprites and you just do it frame by frame.
Thanks given by:
Nahh.
I like paint.net and gimp more than this way.
Somehow I cant see big difference at all.
You spent 8 hours, it does not means that others will spend same amount of time.
This sprite is not detailed. Resized also not detailed.
If someone would like to make hq char then it would take way longer as spritting with other program.
ONE MORE THING.
I WILL TRY AND POST MY ATTEMPt here.
is that okey?:)
Useful
Thanks given by: prince_freeza
(08-05-2013, 08:49 AM)EXG9 Wrote:  Nahh.
I like paint.net and gimp more than this way.
Somehow I cant see big difference at all.
You spent 8 hours, it does not means that others will spend same amount of time.
This sprite is not detailed. Resized also not detailed.
If someone would like to make hq char then it would take way longer as spritting with other program.
ONE MORE THING.
I WILL TRY AND POST MY ATTEMPt here.
is that okey?:)

As Gad said, this is the original way. So it's attempting to match how the original LF2 sprites were made, HQ sprites would go past that.
And if we compared it to an original sprite like let's say Jack. It's really alike in terms of detail, the only flaw I could see is the skin shading in Gad's sprite is a bit lighter and the face of the originals are kinda like they're looking at the person in front of the computer screen during quite a few actions.
Thanks given by: